Christian Weddings

good devotional book ideas for engaged couples?

My FI went to the Christian book store today to look for some good devotional books for us to start. We've been getting really busy lately and would like to find time to get closer to God and to each other as it seems we are drifting farther and farther with all of the daily stresses.

A friend of mine recently got married and said even though her relationship was not struggling, her and her FI (at the time) purchased The Love Dare for their devotional.

Does anyone have experience with it? It is a good book for engaged couples? Better for married couples?

Any other good devotionals out there? We want something to supplement our Bible reading.

Thanks in advance!

Re: good devotional book ideas for engaged couples?

• edited December 2011
    I haven't had experience with that particular book, but my FI and I did Devotions for Dating Couples:Building a Foundation for Spiritual Intimacy by Samuel Adams and Ben Young. We loved it! We actually went through the book twice. I highly recommend that book for sure.
  • HeartOverMindHeartOverMind member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_good-devotional-book-ideas-engaged-couples?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:26f563d9-830b-4ff5-a1c7-e62f05a62972Post:5e59322c-a6e4-406f-a66e-07b4d08005e9">Re: good devotional book ideas for engaged couples?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I haven't had experience with that particular book, but my FI and I did <strong>Devotions for Dating Couples:Building a Foundation for Spiritual Intimacy by Samuel Adams and Ben Young.</strong> We loved it! We actually went through the book twice. I highly recommend that book for sure.
    Posted by JoyMatt424[/QUOTE]

My BF and I are currently reading this one together and it's really a great tool to use to strengthen your own personal relationship with God and then coming together with your SO and building a spiritual relationship.
    "Why does a girl have to be so silly to catch a husband?" ~~~Scarlett O'Hara Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • MrsTucker2011MrsTucker2011 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_good-devotional-book-ideas-engaged-couples?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:26f563d9-830b-4ff5-a1c7-e62f05a62972Post:213d8e03-2ae7-4fec-9f5d-c08726203096">Re: good devotional book ideas for engaged couples?</a>:
    [QUOTE] For Men/Women Only <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Men-Only-Straightforward-Guide-Inner/dp/1590525728/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1288144034&sr=1-2" rel="nofollow">http://www.amazon.com/Men-Only-Straightforward-Guide-Inner/dp/1590525728/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1288144034&sr=1-2</a> <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Women-Only-about-Inner-Lives/dp/1590523172/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1288144034&sr=1-1" rel="nofollow">http://www.amazon.com/Women-Only-about-Inner-Lives/dp/1590523172/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1288144034&sr=1-1</a>
    Posted by katanne9[/QUOTE]

This^^^^
    It changed my whole perception of everything and we aren't even married yet!
    I recommend it to all my friends, and I buy one as a gift for each wedding shower I go to. hehe
    Anniversary An engaged woman is always more agreeable than a disengaged. She is satisfied with herself. Her cares are over, and she feels that she may exert all her powers of pleasing without suspicion. All is safe with a lady engaged; no harm can be done. ~Jane Austen BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011

It's not actually a devotional, but Love & War, by John and Stasi Eldredge(The same people who wrote Wild at Heart, Captivating, etc.), is exceptional.  FI bought it after Christmas and read it first, and then gave it to me to read.  My mom, who has been married for 27 years now, read it a couple months ago and thought it was amazing too.  Highly recommended.  :)

Daisypath Wedding tickers

• lrob425lrob425 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I bought "Men are like Waffles and Women are like Spaghetti" not too long ago. It's not a really deep devotional, which I like because during college, I stopped going to church and got into some things I shouldn't have. I'm now trying to get back into the habit of going to church and living my life like it's supposed to be lived - in God's Word. I'm honestly not ready for a deep, gut-wrenching devotional yet. So this is a cute title and the intro explains the title more. So far, it has been dead-on for my relationship with my fiance. The first chapter is on listening to each other, which is definitely something we need to read everyday!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Wow, I'm so glad you asked this because my fiance and I were wondering the same thing! We were going to ask at church this Sunday. Thanks, we will try one or some of those out! 
  • edited December 2011
    My FI and I are going through
    "Before you say 'I Do'"
    it is a wonderful book, and they have a DVD that our pastor gave to us which is very informative, and real
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    ok. We've written them all down and are going to research them today. We've heard a lot of good things about the Devotions for Dating Couples: Building a Foundation for Spiritual Intimacy book as well.

Thank you so much for the ideas/reviews!
  • I know this is an old forum but I wanted to post because I feel God is the only foundation to build a marriage on, without him I would be doomed!!! My FI and I read Love and Respect by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs. It is for married couples but it has helped us grow together in God!!! His mother bought it for us and it is by far the best gift anyone has ever given us and I know he would agree with that statement.  Good luck to you and God bless you!!! 

• Thanks for the recommendations!  FI and I were just talking about finding some books to read together. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I bought the The ReMarriage Adventure because this is my fiance's second marriage and the book seems to have some pretty good information about how to build your life together when there are already some building blocks in place.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards