Michigan-Lansing

A Piece O' Cake

I was recently looking through the postings on here and I saw something that rather concerned me regarding A Piece O' Cake Bakery in East Lansing... I was married this past June and after much thought decided on A Piece O Cake for both my wedding cake and groom's cake.  Unlike the two previous posts, I had an absolutely wonderful experience with Kelly and her work.  My older brother was married 6 years ago and they too went with A Piece O Cake, since then, however, the bakery had changed ownership.  I took it upon myself to find out more information about the new ownership and I was rather impressed with what I found out.  I flat out asked how many cakes they make and it was my understanding that a year ago, the bakery turned out over 80 cakes that wedding season.  If two bad reviews are all that came out of those 80 cakes, I would say they are doing something right.  I don't want other brides to be discouraged because two people had a bad experience.... In fact my experience was quite the opposite.  I planned my wedding from out of state, so I looked at reviews from theknot and personal referrals, so I know how important they can seem.  As for my personal experience, I found that Kelly was rather easy to work with.  My first contact with the bakery was through email.  I scheduled a consultation for the next time I was home.  I went in to the taste testing with a picture of what I thought I wanted, and left with a completely different design that I was even more in love with.  Kelly helped me iron out my thoughts and transform what I thought I wanted into a cake that brought all my colors and flowers together into one vision.  She had examples on display and plenty of pictures of her past cakes to look through.  My mother in law, who is an avid baker and hard to impress, couldn't believe how good the cakes were.  We eventually decided on a five tiered fondant cake with alternating layers of sour cream chocolate and kuhala fudge cake.  I was so excited about the cake that we even changed the timeline of the evening so we didn't end up cutting the cake until after dinner, instead of when we first walked into the reception like the banquet center and photographer suggested, so that way everyone got a chance to see the cake. 

I personally found that A Piece O' Cake treated my day as if it was theirs. I stand behind what I write and was so impressed with Kelly and her bakery that we went back to A Piece O' Cake for my grandpa's 80th birthday cake.  My husband and I are expecting this spring and I will be going back to the bakery for my bridal shower cake and can't wait to see what they come up with!  

Readers beware, there are always two sides to every story, and for every bad review, there are twice as many positive reviews.  Bottom line, don't judge A Piece O Cake from what I say or someone else says, go in for yourself and see what they can do for you.  Good luck and Happy Planning!!

Re: A Piece O' Cake

• edited December 2011
    It always amazes me how whenever I find a poor review for A Piece O' Cake, there is always a brand new poster either here or on other wedding review sites that follow up with an extremely detailed account at how perfect their experience was. Why is it never a poster who has actually been on the boards?
  • edited December 2011
    Lol.. i was just thinking the same thing.. how it seemed perfectly fake..  I think a friend of mine went there to try it and they said it was overly priced and very dry...
  • kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Well, I've been around for 5 years if that helps.  In that time I've married off 3 DD's.  My last DD lives out of state and just wanted a very small 2 tier cake to cut at the reception, but we had tons of other cake, cheesecake, and cannoli.

She contacted Piece O Cake, told them what she wanted and asked me to send them one of her invitations.  They nailed exactly what she wanted, the cake was very good (and I'm a picky cakeaholic) and looked very nice.  That is my one and only experience with them and it was thru  DD.

I do agree that a first time poster coming to the defense of a vendor under fire can appear a bit suspicious, but who knows?  To me, the cake is so expensive and for the price you pay, it needs to be exactly what you ordered.

Obviously we have a couple of posters who weren't happy with theirs, and the majority of people who buy their cakes from POC don't post here.  Over the years I have seen positive posts about them, as well as posts about them being too expensive to consider.  Everyone has their budget to consider.

Hopefully everyone does their homework and is happy with their choice!
  • AngelaOct11AngelaOct11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have been one of the posters that has been defending A Piece O Cake.  I may only have a couple hundred posts but I am not a newer poster.  I agree with some of the other posters that just don't want people to discount them from a few bad reviews online.  Every vendor is going to have some bad reviews and it doesn't necessarily make them a bad vendor.  I am going to try to post a picture of my cake because I loved it so much :-)  It also tasted great! 

• gailpetegailpete member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PPs that any vendor can make a mistake.  What concerns me about the bad reviews is that it appears that this vendor does not own up to the mistakes and try to make things right.  If you make a mistake, admit it, apologize profusely (you did just put a big glitch in someone's very important day) and try to make it right.  Don't argue that it didn't happen or try to blame the customer.
  • edited December 2011
    Just because their are a couple of good reviews doesnt necesarily mean that they are good either.. I mean, they could be yes... i just dont dont really agree with them writing a faulty review.. Not saying that The first poster was a fraud.. It just seems a little suspicious is all, and I definately would not want to go with a bakery that was trying to decieve me.
  • kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I do think it is important to note that the OP has been a member since April '08.  She didn't just join a couple of days ago to write this post.
  • npricelovenpricelove member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes!  And she probably joined back then because she was snooping to see what people were saying about her company!   It is obviously a vendor!  Have you ever posted a detailed post about any company like that?  And especially as your first post? 
  • edited December 2011
    I am very excited to use A Piece O' Cake for our wedding in May 2010.  I have met with Kelly on two occassions and have complete faith in her abilities and the tastiness of her cakes.   ~ Molly & Jason.   Smile

PS:  Yes I am a first time poster, but this is my first wedding and I am only posting things related to that ...
  • hmarchhmarch member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I contacted Kelly when I got engaged a few months ago asking some questions about her pricing, etc. The response that I received was so incredibly rude that I decided to stop looking into her business. Planning a wedding is a special time in someone's life and there is no room for unprofessionalism and just plain rudeness.

My current baker is wonderful, though! :o) Her name is Kristy Parks and her website is www.kpcakesmi.com.
  • jeanlee123jeanlee123 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My fiance and I went to 4 different places to find our wedding cake vendor.  We narrowed it down to A Piece O'Cake and Naomi Batterbee from Eagly Eye who does wedding cakes independently on the side.  It basically came down to this:

If you want art and presentation and decent tasting cake, go to A Piece O'Cake

If you want artistry and moist delicious cake, go to Naomi Batterbee.

While we were happy with the professionalism of A Piece O'Cake and thought they had impeccable presentation skills, we thought $5 a slice was more than what we wanted to pay. The flavors there are good, but the cake is a little dry.

Naomi's cakes were hands down the best tasting cakes we had ever had, and after seeing her portfolio, she is also an incredible artist.  Plus, she is only charging us $2.50 a slice.  We have tasted her creations at Eagle Eye a few times since then and have full faith in her.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards