New Hampshire

To video or not to video??

Originally I wasn't planning on hiring a videographer but now I'm wondering if I should. I figured someone there will probably have a video camera and we could get it from them but now I'm thinking I might want it done professionally. The other reason is that my FI grandmother is 92 and coming to the wedding might be too much for her. She lives an hour away and doesn't get around very well. So we would really like to be able for her to see the wedding if she is not there. Any advice either way - to video or not to video?? Also any suggestions on who to use and pricing? It's not in the budget so we will have to make some revissions somewhere.
Thanks!!
Happy 4th!!!

Re: To video or not to video??

• edited December 2011
    I say YES video....Years from now I'd like to remember my family when they're gone and see them moving and talking and hear what they had to say.  You miss so much during the day because your're wrapped up in other aspects.  Its nice to see everyone's reactions, especially your grooms.  You'll get to see everything from a different perspective.

In my family and friends the ones who didn't have a video regret it now.  And the ones that got it said they wish they spent a little more on that and a little less on photography.

Videography can range so much.  Rebecca Curtis is really good and she was the most affordable I found.  Under $1,000 I think. NH images also has really good packages.

I ended up going with iWed because my other top choices were booked.  We got a deal through them so the price worked out.  They are a bit pricey but I'm extremely confidant in them.

The other places we looked at were McElroy Films out of MA *the best I have ever seen with amazing packages* ,  Trish & Michael Films also out of MA, NH Images and Waves in Salem.  There was one other but I cant remember their names.
  • edited December 2011
    We did not video and as of yet, I don't regret it.  However, because of the situation with the grandmother, it could be a nice gesture to have it done.

As a side note, we were just visiting family who had taken some video (that I didn't even know about) and they played it for us.  It really is a neat way to relive the moment.
    Anniversary Buying A Home
  • DrPB2b13DrPB2b13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are not doing professional video.  Honestly, I'm not the kind of person to watch it over and over, and nobody I know personally really watches their wedding videos either.  I prefer to look back on pictures and rely on my memory, so spending hundreds of dollars on video just doesn't seem worth it to me.

That said, I may ask a family member to video just the ceremony.
    Mrs. Abbe Peanut Butter || Planning Bio
    June 2012 February Signature: Favorite picture of you & FI
  • Gary599Gary599 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

If you hire a PRO Photographer, the Newer Cameras like the Canon 5DMKII and the Canon 7D both have the capability of recording HD Video.

The cameras can record video clips up to 12 min. Up to the size of the memory card being used.

So, in some cases a two photographer team can take stills and also recored video at the same time, with no added expense to the couple.

• mariegramariegra member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Originally, we were not going to video because it just wasn't in the budget.  However, after watching other pp's videos, I really wanted one.  Some of the better known videographers in the area were just too expensive for us, so I did a bit of shopping around.  We ended up going with a 'negotiated' price with New Creations Video Productions (Brian Norton--Nashua; (978) 387-3478) for just under $1k.  This is significantly less than his normal price, but with the economy being a bit down, he was willing to do it--with less editing, (which we were ok with).

There was another guy that we met at the WZID bridal show earlier this year that had very reasonable packages also--but I can't find his card at the moment.  I know that his videos were under $1k.  Perhaps his info might be linked on their website?  (He's in NH).

September 2011 Board-April Siggy Challenge-Honeymoon Pics
    imageimage
    Planning Bio-updated August 16, 2011 NH Knotties Site
    Anniversary
  • Luv2Cook27Luv2Cook27 member
    edited December 2011
    We were originally were not going to do a videographer either, but I am really glad I changed my mind. 

We went with Scott Towers, and he was awesome to work with.  He was also under below the 1K mark and did an excellent job,  My DH was really thrilled with his work. 

This is our Highlights Video ( <--- Clicky)
    ~*Emily*~
    Wedding Bio

Anniversary
  • MOG730MOG730 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My daughter did not want a video until approx 2 mos before.  As expected, all the preferred vendors were booked.  We did find a very good and pricey videographer available and booked him immediately.  While this may have not been a priority to her, it warms her heart to know her biggest fan of "the movie" is her 4 yr old son.
  • Gary599Gary599 member
    edited December 2011
    If you hire a PRO Photographer, the Newer Cameras like the Canon 5DMKII and the Canon 7D both have the capability of recording HD Video.

The cameras can record video clips up to 12 min. Up to the size of the memory card being used.

So, in some cases a two photographer team can take stills and also recored video at the same time, with no added expense to the couple.
  • edited December 2011
    thanks everyone!!I I think I'm going to get some quotes this week!
  • edited December 2011
    We originally weren't going to do a video, but my co-workers all talked about how much they loved theres and how the day goes by so fast it is nice to have it on a dvd that you can watch again. We did end up going with one and I am looking forward to seeing how it comes out.
  • edited December 2011
    We did a video and are glad we did...our toasts alone were reason enough to get one! They were so funny! Plus pictures are nice, but I liked seeing the ceremony and reception again. I figure our kids will watch it someday. I think it's nice to get but not a super expensive one. We used Rebecca Curtis as well and it was $650.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards