Wedding Etiquette Forum

Name Change Question - 2 (Non Hyphenated) Last Names

Good morning Knotties!

I'm not sure this is an etiquette issue, but I have a question about changing names.

For professional reasons, I dont want to completely dump my former married surname.  I'd like to add my new last name to the end of my current name without hyphenating.

Maiden Name:  Jane Johnson
Current Divorced Name:  Jane Smith
Name After Second Marriage:  Jane Smith Anderson

My question is this:  Would I have to sign documents using both names (Smith Anderson) or can I sign using just the newest addition to the name lineup (Anderson)?

Thanks!

Re: Name Change Question - 2 (Non Hyphenated) Last Names

• People will be confused and not know if what to do with the Smith if you don't hyphenate.
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    It's legal in CA.  Technically, you should sign the whole last name, although so many people (myself included) have illegible signatures that don't really spell anything out.

Sort of like Helena Bonham Carter.  She spells out the whole last name (Bonham Carter) because that's her legal last name.
  • I went that route and it's been a real PITA.   I've started adding the hyphen just not to confuse people.

Legally you have to have sign both last names. Although sometimes I'm too lazy on credit cards to do that

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Thanks everyone!

Mica - we're in the same 'region' so its good to know that using the two last names without hyphenating IS legal.

For those in other states, a good source to check the legalities is through the county recorder's office where you would apply for the marriage license!
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_name-change-question-2-non-hyphenated-last-names?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:21098a52-cb60-415d-996a-abefa294d4baPost:bf3dd7d2-30be-415c-81e0-54c84b0e2e4c">Re: Name Change Question - 2 (Non Hyphenated) Last Names</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks everyone! Mica - we're in the same 'region' so its good to know that using the two last names without hyphenating IS legal. For those in other states, a good source to check the legalities is through the county recorder's office where you would apply for the marriage license!
    Posted by mattesmagic[/QUOTE]

I found some company's computers do not know how to handle 2 last names without a hyphen.  For example American Airlines puts my 2 names together (SmithAndersen).  Others will do Smith Andersen, just Smith, just  Andersen and still others add the hyphen because if they don't get smashed  together.

Again it's been annoying for me and sometimes I wish I had just picked one or the other or hyphened.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi  - Thank you for clarifying what kinds of issues you've run into without using the hyphen.  Since I would have to legally sign both names anyway, it seems hyphenating them would be the most hassle-free way to go.

My original though in NOT hyphenating was contingent on whether I could sign using only my new hubby-to-be's last name.  If I'd have to use both anyway, hyphenating keeps it clean(er) and simple.  
  • no problem.  I've even confused people at work.  After looking at my passport that clearly says "Smith Andersen" as my last name, my co-workers will put only 'Andersen' on the paperwork because she thought "Smith" was my middle name.

I only went this way because they would not let me move my maiden name to my middle name and I wanted to keep my maiden name and add his name.

• Just to add to what Lynda's saying, DH is Chilean and therefore has two last names. It's a pain for anything in the US (traveling, etc), although for us the main issue is explaining that if you're just using one last name, you'd use the first one (ie. unless you're using his full name with both last names, it's Smith). Lots of people, including some friends and family, incorrectly think his last name is Andersen. So since you do want to use the second last name, socially at least people would understand it better.
  • Yikes!

Yes...it definitely seems that using the hypen would simplify things to a great degree. 

Thanks everyone!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards