Favors

Favorite favors

When you are a wedding guest, what is your favorite favor?  I am thinking something edible for me.

Re: Favorite favors

• edited December 2011
    I can't say I've ever recieved a favorite favor.  Most of the stuff I get at weddings is just junk to haul home and throw away (I know, sounds bad)...one thing that I've been thinking about lately is making mini bread loaves!  You can find the little pans at walmart or target.  You'd have to chunk out a day 3 or 4 days before your wedding to bake it all, but I think that's a favor I would love!
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Edible almost anything.

Christmas ornament for a Dec. 27 wedding.

"Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • edited December 2011
    Hmm...I have yet to really LOVE any favours I've received. I'm not a big fan of edible favours because they're not always that unique and once you eat them, they're gone. On the other hand, I'm also not a fan of the favours that you take home and just collect dust. I do like favours that are practical.

I have liked the following:
    - a heart-shaped cookie cutter with a cute poem

Umm..okay. That's about it. lol

We have yet to decide on what we're having as favours and we're running out of time. We are either having: wildflower seeds with personalized packaging (I know it's not a new idea but I haven't seen them at any weddings I've been to...ever); personalized CD's with songs that are special to us; or heart-shaped birdseed feeder thingies.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_favorite-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:5b24d87f-1164-4d98-b049-5dfc9758fd46Post:61f849e9-54f4-4375-81d4-b41d3f9aa408">Re: Favorite favors</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hmm...I have yet to really LOVE any favours I've received. I'm not a big fan of edible favours because they're not always that unique and once you eat them, they're gone. On the other hand, I'm also not a fan of the favours that you take home and just collect dust. I do like favours that are practical. I have liked the following: - a heart-shaped cookie cutter with a cute poem Umm..okay. That's about it. lol We have yet to decide on what we're having as favours and we're running out of time. We are either having: wildflower seeds with personalized packaging (I know it's not a new idea but I haven't seen them at any weddings I've been to...ever); <strong>personalized CD's with songs that are special to us</strong>; or heart-shaped birdseed feeder thingies.
    Posted by michelyn13[/QUOTE]

that would be a lovely favor for YOU, because it's song that are special to YOU.  But everybody has different taste in music.  I can't remember a burned CD that I've actually kept, because the music just is nms.

CD favors, are IMO, a waste of your time and $$.  Check the sticky above re:  favors.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • edited December 2011
    I did get a cd with some of the songs from the wedding on it once.  I thought it was a cool idea, it had some good songs on it.  I also got a wine stopper from the last wedding and forgot it on the table Frown.  That would have been a useful one too.  But I think my favorite are the edible!  We're probably going to do these!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • APW2010APW2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like edible favors, but ideally they'd come with a cute card or packaging so there is something to take home as a keepsake if you want. Think choclate bars wrapped in photos of the B&G, or candy in tins that match the theme of the wedding.
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, Trix. I have thought about that fact quite a bit. That no one else is going to enjoy the music as much as we do.

We were going to have quite a mixture of music that is going to be played throughout the day, such as:
    - Ingrid Michaelson
    - Jason Mraz
    - Sir Mix A Lot
    - Luke Bryan
    - Timbaland
    etc.

I know that the CDs may not be listened to much...but perhaps a few times. I have an easier time spending money on this kind of favour that might actually be used than on something edible that is eaten quickly and forgotten (especially since we've been pricing out favour costs for a long time and it was going to be less expensive or similar to make CDs than to make or order edible favours).

Anyhow, we've put it in the back of our minds anyways because we've discovered that prices for blank CDs has gone up in price substantially. Where we used to be able to purchase 50 cds for $30...now it's the other way around! (And DVDs are much cheaper).

So yeah, we're NOT going to do them (but it is an idea we'd been thinking about).

The birdseed feeder thingies are at the top of my list right now!

I thought wildflower seeds would be cute but our wedding is in the middle of summer and our guests wouldn't be planting them then because they wouldn't grow in time before the frost comes up here in chilly Canada (if they were even going to). So I can just see the seeds being taken home and kicking around until they're thrown out.

BUT...with birdseed hanger thingies...they can be taken home and hung on any tree branch etc. right away and be used by birdies! :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Hmm...and the more I think about it I realize that the CD idea was just plain silly. We're going to have a lot of "mature" guests at our wedding (as in great Aunts and Uncles etc) that are around the age of my grandma (the only grandparent who will be there). I got to thinking that my grandmother DOES have a CD player but she only plays a CD that one of my cousins burnt for her...of songs from the 40's and 50's.

However, she AND all of our guests, old and young alike, would probably enjoy playing a bird feeder outside to see if any birds visit.

Thanks for helping me to think things through more thoroughly and realize that the CD idea was kind of goofy!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My favorite favor was a lottery ticket.  My friends found lottery ticket holder cards online with a cute poem, but a $1 scratch-off ticket in it, and we taped a penny to the back of the card (she had printed stickers with their name and date on them to hold the penny, but tape would have worked too).  It  was a really cute idea and everyone loved it.  Quite a few people won a few dollars and there was not a single favor left over.  I loved this idea, but the friend who did this is one of my BMs, and we will have a lot of the same people at the wedding so I didn't want to copy.  We are doing a photo booth so we are giving them their strip to take, and we also bought photo strip frames for them which will be at each place setting.

Just a note on the CDs as favors.  The only time I have seen this done properly is at a wedding my parents went to.  They had 3 different CDs made, one for people under 35ish, one for people 35-50ish, and one for older people.  Each CD had love songs tailored to their generations so people actually enjoyed them.  The wedding was at least 5 years ago and my mom still has the CD in her car and listens to it a lot.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • jaertkerjaertker member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My friend put personalized Us weekly magazines in her gift bags at the hotel. They were 8 page cute magazines with articles about the couple, the proposal, interviews with the Best Man and MOH, etc...quotes from family m embers, etc. Super cute and so entertaining to read!!  I can find out who she used to make them, but it was really the most unique idea.
  • edited December 2011
    Jaertker- what a cute idea!  I would love to know where she had those made!  Thanks so much!
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_favorite-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:5b24d87f-1164-4d98-b049-5dfc9758fd46Post:de43210a-5e8a-451b-8363-02a5890ad916">Re: Favorite favors</a>:
    [QUOTE]My friend put personalized Us weekly magazines in her gift bags at the hotel. They were 8 page cute magazines with articles about the couple, the proposal, interviews with the Best Man and MOH, etc...quotes from family m embers, etc. Super cute and so entertaining to read!!  I can find out who she used to make them, but it was really the most unique idea.
    Posted by jaertker[/QUOTE]

hmmmm....7 posts total and all 7 are about this lame AW product?  Are you a vendor?
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I keep on reporting the jaertker person because I think he/she is a vendor, esp since some of the posts don't make sense with the thread.
  • edited December 2011
    Strangely enough--matchboxes.  Not edible, but definitely useful.  Who doesn't need matches?  We had them at our wedding, but we didn't print our names/wedding date/yadda yadda yadda on them.  Just pretty little matchboxes, and our guests snatched them up like crazy (plus they were super cheap).

We also had Chinese takeout boxes filled with traditional Italian cookies from my family's favorite bakery.  These were also a big hit because they were wicked good, and my big, fat, Italian family was so happy to see something so familiar. 
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world... is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." -Lester Banks, Almost Famous
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards