Luxury Weddings
Options

Sushi or raw bar

Do people prefer sushi or raw bar at cocktail hour. Fot sushi how many pieces per person is enough if we are also having 10 passed hour'derves and no stations?

Re: Sushi or raw bar

• Options
    I had a friend who had a sushi bar and it was a huge hit. I passed up on it for my wedding because I cannot stand seafood. However, I know I'm in the minority there! So, I would go with the sushi bar. As for how many pieces, I'm not sure. As an example, though, I had a open top shelf bar and a martini bar. The full bar was priced as a flat per person rate. The martini bar was extra and the cost was per drink. As it turns out, the martini bar was by far the most popular even though the full bar offered many more options (I only had 4 martinis to choose from.) So, even though you have a ton of options with the other hors d'oeurves, your sushi bar may be the bigger hit and you'll have a ton of left overs from the passed option.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_luxury-weddings_sushi-or-raw-bar?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Theme BoardsForum:361381ea-42c9-44e7-b994-d26049874781Discussion:3c46ae75-9bb8-4ae1-ad20-c8a097d4940fPost:943886a7-52ee-4b61-8441-da758f302bb1">Re: Sushi or raw bar</a>:
    [QUOTE]Personally, as a guest I would love the raw bar, but think that most people would prefer sushi.  <strong>However, that's my mid-western perspective, and you know your friends and family and their regional and cultural tastes</strong>.
    Posted by Sleeper2013[/QUOTE]

To add on that, the wedding I attended with the sushi bar was in NJ. I see you are in New York, so it may be similar in tastes.

• Options
    Wow, can I come to your wedding? hehe. It really depends on your crowd. I think a sushi bar would be more of a crowd pleaser. When I think of raw bar, I'm thinking oysters, quahogs, etc. While I love those things, I know a lot of people who do not. 

10 passed hors 'derves is a lot! We are only having 3. I think if you do 2 pieces per person you should be good since you have so many other things. You don't want people getting too full for the dinner. 

We got married 11/3/12!!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_luxury-weddings_sushi-or-raw-bar?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Theme BoardsForum:361381ea-42c9-44e7-b994-d26049874781Discussion:3c46ae75-9bb8-4ae1-ad20-c8a097d4940fPost:943886a7-52ee-4b61-8441-da758f302bb1">Re: Sushi or raw bar</a>:
    [QUOTE]Personally, as a guest I would love the raw bar, but think that most people would prefer sushi.  However, that's my mid-western perspective, and you know your friends and family and their regional and cultural tastes.
    Posted by Sleeper2013[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. And I am also from the midwest. We had 10 passed HDVs for 225 guests. How many people are you having?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Just as a side note, if you go ahead with the sushi bar, you might want to consider having an alternative for those who are either allergic to seafood or vegetarian/vegan. Also, there will likely be some people who get squeamish from raw fish. 
  • Options
    I would love to have sushi.  I think more people like sushi than a raw bar. We couldn't justify having a sushi station though. About half of the wedding is coming from the Buffalo, NY area and they are squeamish about sushi. Adding $20 per person when half of the people don't eat it just didn't make sense. We are having 10 passed h'ors d'oeuvres and 4 stations at cocktail hour, and a 3-course plated dinner so people will be full enough.
  • Options
    Honestly we had both so I can't help you with the decision. I will say both were a huge hit.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We also had both.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    We are having both too. My FI loves both so we had to have them both. :) Our guests for the most part enjoy both as well but If we could only have one I would go with sushi, I think in general more people seem to like it more than a raw bar. You know your guests best though and that is the most important thing to consider.
  • Options
    How many guests are you having?  Make certain your caterer can keep it all fresh, all night!  And I second a non-seafood option...I never acquired the taste for seafood, and over the last few years have developed quite a shellfish allergy!

Previously Alaynajuliana

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards