Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Tight budget honeymoon help

I would like your ladies opinions and advice on a tight budget honeymoon. We are paying for the wedding and honeymoon ourselves so I would like to stay within a 3k-5k budget. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. TIA
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Tight budget honeymoon help

• Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited July 2012
    It helps us to help you if you can provide some info:

- what do you and your fiance like to do? Beach? History? Relax? Active?
    - what area? US? outside US?
    - what time of year?
    - How many days & nights?
  • Options
    Definitely provide us some more clues so we can help!
  • Options
    - what do you and your fiance like to do? Beach? History? Relax? Active?
    - what area? US? outside US?
    - what time of year?
    - How many days & nights?

I guess this would halp LOL

We are pretty much down for anything. In or out of the US is okay. It would be in March for a week or less.
  • Options
    Flash alert! 90% of people pay for their wedding and honeymoon themselves. This does not make you special. 

And 3-5k is a seriously decent amount for a honeymoon.
  • Options
    You have plenty of options available for cruises.  I have been on Carnival and Royal Caribbean.  I prefer RC. 
    Anniversary Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    5k is a tight budget? It really isn't, you have tons of options.

Signed,

Girl who paid for her entire wedding and honeymoon as well
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Thanks for your input ladies! I appricate you responding like grown woman. I don't understand why my OP would spark but I guess there are some people who are looking to be negitive anywhere. I was looking for suggestions not bitterness. It's okay you post what you feel you need to post to seem important with what you think are witty and clever comments in the end you really only look wretched.
  • Options
    With that budget you can go to many places, pretty much anywhere in North, Central, or South America.

How far are you comfortable traveling, what activities would you and your FH love to do?
  • Options
    I would like to go somewhere out of north america. I would like an all-inclusive trip. We have never gone a vacation like this so i'm not sure where to start as far as activites. We are pretty much up for anything. I would really like to go to italy but I havn't been able to find anything within out budget. I would like to go for a week or less.
  • Options
    I would definitely consider a cruise. Our budget for honeymoon was $3000 and we are going on a cruise leaving from San Juan, PR and going to Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten. And we still have about $600 of our budget left, so we are gonna spend the night in Puerto Rico the night before the cruise. We're going on Carnival. Me and FI love to party and Carnival is the 'Fun Ship'. I've been on RC and they're great, but its more for relaxation and calm. Cruises are the best way to travel. You get to see so many places.
    May 2013 January Siggy: Cake.!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_tight-budget-honeymoon-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:ab914897-0682-4e2b-adfc-f961fb02d848Post:f30396f1-0d1f-48f3-976d-7d15083bba0c">Re: Tight budget honeymoon help</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would like to go somewhere out of north america. I would like an all-inclusive trip. We have never gone a vacation like this so i'm not sure where to start as far as activites. We are pretty much up for anything. I would really like to go to italy but I havn't been able to find anything within out budget. I would like to go for a week or less.
    Posted by thomas2013[/QUOTE]

What is it about Italy that you love?  Maybe that can help someone suggest some locations. 
  • Options
    FH family is from Italy and I love exploring cultures. I have come across a couple trips that are 2 nights here 3 nights there (bunch of different places to choose from) but I would like to hear from anyone who has been.
  • Options
    I have been here for a while, and honestly, I get really annoyed with seeing people parade around the fact that they paid for their own wedding. So what? So did I. While living in Italy.

With your budget, if that includes flights, Italy might be tight, unless you do a cruise. The most expensive part of being in Italy is getting around as train tickets are simply not cheap. Food is quite inexpensive, but the hotel and train tickets make up for it.  Plus, if you go in a high season, it's nearly impossible to get flights for under $3000 for two people.
  • Options
    Scour the Groupon, LivingSocial, SweetJack, BloomSpot, etc. deals.  I found a killer deal for 7 nights in Costa Rica for under $1500 - including hotel, a few tours, and a rental car (not all-inclusive, though).  I think in total it's going to cost us $2500.

For flights - do you have sky miles that you can use? I paid for both of our flights with sky miles.
  • Options

you can do an awesome honeymoon for 3-5. cruises definately are a good way to go, as stated above. My honeymoon is 2 weeks and is a cruise and Disneyland and is costing us less than $4 and the only thing that does not include is alcohol on the cruise, food in Disneyland and spending money.
    Im not sure what flights are to New York from where you are but they are some amazing cruises up the coast to Canada that would be neat, or you could leave from Florida and cruise from there.

• Options
    hoffsehoffse member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    Italy is worth it if you can swing it, but PP is right that it can be expensive.  If you have time, you might want to start looking into airmiles.  If you can get to Italy, I would do Rome, with maybe a day trip to Pompeii (it's one of the coolest things ever) and a day trip to Florence.  You'll need two days in Florence if you want to see the David (because the lines are so long), but one day is sufficient otherwise.  I have an art history degree and skipped the David in Florence - I don't regret it for a moment - and still had time to shop in all the open air markets and tour the Uffizi in a day.  I might go back for a couple days down the road, but it's not pressing.

That said, if your heart isn't set on Italy and only Italy, start looking at groupon, travelzoo, etc - they frequently have vacation packages that include airfare internationally.  Recently travelzoo had one to ireland for a week for like $1000/person.  That's stupid cheap.  Deals for Italy do come up (there's one on groupon right now), but they tend to take you to more remote places.  If you've never been, you should really start in Rome first.

Also consider travelling during the off-season.  You don't have to take your HM right away, if you are getting married during the late spring, summer, early fall wedding rush.  If you delay even by a month that will give you time to save for an additional month for spending/food/play money, and you may be able to use any checks you receive at your wedding toward your HM also.  FI and I are delaying a month because he has to take finals before we go, and I see it as an opportunity for us to pad our budget a bit.  Also be aware that most of Europe (and basically all of Italy) shuts down during the month of August to go to the beach.  Many buildings in Italy also don't have A/C (though hotels will), so it's basically a month-long vacation to get out of the heat.  You will want to plan around that, if you want to be able to fully enjoy the sights.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards