Canada-Ontario

Violinist / String Duo for ceremony

I'm looking to have a violinist or string duo for my September ceremony in Thornhill.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Any idea of costs?

Re: Violinist / String Duo for ceremony

• LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We used Jill Daley - she was great and can a wide range of classical and secular music.  Her price was $300 for 2.5 hours.

I've also heard Grenville Pinto play at a friend's wedding.  He is incredible - but he is $575 for one hour and $325 for each hour after that.  He can play a lot of modern stuff (on the radio) as well.
  • unplainjaneunplainjane member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    when i was researching venues this group came up a lot in vendor lists. they seem quite talented: http://duodamore.com/
  • naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sent you a PM.

I am paying my musicians $150 - $200 each.  Violinists seemed to be on the upper range of that, but I found several at $200-$250 for the rehearsal + ceremony.
  • lalap69lalap69 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Seconding Grenville Pinto.  He played at my sister's wedding and we're using him for ours.  He's very talented!
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_violinist-string-duo-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:613Discussion:b42839b1-9b82-42d9-a582-75ae7d7f3618Post:1c52e88b-9202-4fb8-b9f0-c7f7a797a6e4">Re: Violinist / String Duo for ceremony</a>:
    [QUOTE]Seconding Grenville Pinto.  He played at my sister's wedding and we're using him for ours.  He's very talented!
    Posted by lalap69[/QUOTE]
    Do you know if he's related to (brother of?) Christabel Pinto?  She's a pianist I know... small world!
  • lalap69lalap69 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_violinist-string-duo-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:613Discussion:b42839b1-9b82-42d9-a582-75ae7d7f3618Post:7840e97a-f962-44a4-b74d-154961a84d5f">Re: Violinist / String Duo for ceremony</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Violinist / String Duo for ceremony : Do you know if he's related to (brother of?) Christabel Pinto?  She's a pianist I know... small world!
    Posted by naomikb[/QUOTE]
    I have no idea.  Why don't you ask her?  Could very well be a musically-inclined family!
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • edited December 2011
    Wow, our DJ is charging $150 for 1 hour and I see someone's violinist charged $300 for 2.5 ... I need to speak to our DJ!  I realize dj-ing is a profession, but my personal opinion (perhaps biased) is that becoming a musician takes a lot more work and effort to develop talent and to learn specific songs for an event and then perform, rather than having an up to date playlist! wow!

At this rate, I may ask my brother to play acoustic guitar at the ceremony...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Grenville Pinto is very good.  He books up quickly!  We are looking into maybe a band.... but just trying to find something that is not too much money...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I believe the 2 strings + violin arrangement we're going with was $650 for 2 hours of play time.  My mom sorted out the final details.
  • I appologize for bumping an old post but I tried emailing G Pinto and he it booked for June 29, 2013. Does anyone know if another violinst or even a jazz player who can play Top 40s music?

Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards