New York

Doin it...

Im gunna apply for a Special Edu Teachers Aide job at my alma mater. My mom thinks Im an idiot for applying outside the Univ b/c I lose "free" tuition benefits. Personally I think the discounted rate isnt worth being 100% miserable all day everyday. Im 25. I need to be out and doing something I love. My dad has instilled in me that I can do and be whatever I want and that I should never settle for being unhappy. Well, Im unhappy. Id rather have the loans later than want to bash my head thru a wall everyday and only have a $50 paycheck to show for it (I get taxed on my tuition...that leaves me with $50 a week. Bogus).

My bff had this job and was unhappy with it, but she was also an Eng Lit major...Im a SW major, its more up my alley than hers, so pray for me cuz Im losing my mind!

People are inherently stupid. Weddings make it painfully obvious -- KevinandMonica
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Doin it...

• edited December 2011
    Doooooo it!!!!  Good luck to you!!!
    Miss Mrs. New & Improved Blog Chart
    Online Garage Sale
    monica & kevin married 5.28.11
    bfp 8.11.11 - m/c 8.17.11
    bfp 11.11.11 - edd 7.25.12
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • raes19raes19 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good luck!! Student loans suck, but if you plan for them now and are at a job you enjoy, it will be worth it in the end.
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker
  • CD2011CD2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good luck! It's definitely more worth it if it's going to mean you won't be miserable until you finish school! Sometimes I sub for the aides (or for the teacher) in special ed classrooms. It can definitely be VERY stressful, but it is also very rewarding many times!
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Where's your alma mater?  My Mom is a principal in a CNY district... I might be able to help!
    Student loans aren't great - but it's the only healthy debt you can have.  They are worth your sanity!

Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • sbolger17sbolger17 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Awesome!!  Congrats on making the decision!  I'm sure it will work itself out.  No point in being miserable for another few years.

And $50??  Really?  That blows.
    Anniversary
  • kks4471kks4471 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Completely agree, it's not worth being unhappy.  I couldn't work anywhere that made me want to bang my head thru the wall lol.  Good luck!!!
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Sorry guys that was totally a P&R.

Liz, Jamesville DeWitt. Id totally be willing to go elsewhere, JD just happens to be a comfot zone b/c I know the teachers there.

Sarah, Federal law says you get taxed on your tuition, so after they tax the chit out of me, health ins, etc...$50/week. And the kicker...I pay $120 every 2 weeks on my car. So in the end Im screwed! No cool.

Danielle, I used to work with handicapped adults, I totally know the stress, but its a stress I enjoy b/c its helping people! :)

Everyone else, thanks for the well wishes!!

People are inherently stupid. Weddings make it painfully obvious -- KevinandMonica
  • DubsgirlieDubsgirlie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definitely do it.  I have a friend who is a kindergarten teacher in JD (not sure what elementary school).  Where are you going to school?  Wbere did you work with handicapped adults?  I used to work at liberty resources with MR/DD adolescents. 
    Me: 30 Dx with PCOS 4 years ago DH: perfectly "normal" Jan 2012-August 2012 500mg Metformin (couldn't get up to actual dosage of 1000mg); Aug 2012 - met with RE; Sept. 2012 - HSG: all clear; 50mg Clomid (3 follies), trigger, estrace, prometrium, IUI = BFN; Oct. 2012: 50mg Clomid (1 follie, thinned uterine lining), trigger, estrace, prometrium, IUI = BFP! Beta #1: (11/19/12) = 215! Beta #2 (11/21/12) = 518! First u/s scheduled for 12/04 BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I go to SU.

I used to work at People Inc out in Buffalo.

Find out where they work! I have 2 nephews starting kindergaten at Jamesville Elem in the fall! Im so excited for them! :-)

• edited December 2011
    Haha that was a super choppy post. Sorry. My mind is spinning today.

**Kicker. As Im writing this I get an email saying I wasnt selected for interviews from a position at SU that I applied to early June. Awesome. I didnt even realize I was still waiting.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards