Snarky Brides

Teacher fired for zeros

Re: Teacher fired for zeros

• As an adult, if i went up to my supervisor and said "oh hey, I didn't go to work the past 2 days, but you should still pay me anyway", that would not fly.  The same principle should apply to students and homework.  You don't do it, you don't get credit for it.  Too fuucking bad.   
  • NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    In Response to Re:Teacher fired for zeros:[QUOTE]bologna / baloney.nbsp;That's about all I can add right now. Posted by StephJ[/QUOTE]
    Please explain.
  • <strong>In</strong> Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teacher-fired-for-zeros?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:f79e0c61-a683-4094-805e-ffbc11daa36bPost:c2d9e085-0a06-4d54-88aa-739ad5d2733e">Re: Teacher fired for zeros</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with everyone so far. Our school, before I left, was in talks of taking away the "F". I once had a parent complain to my SUPERINTENDENT that I gave her daughter two zeros and it brought her from a B+ to a B. The girl never handed the assignments in so how was I to grade it? Anyway, the superintendent made me give her a "C" average grade for it and it bumped her back up to a B+.<strong> He told me that because I was the teacher, I should have made sure she handed it in. 
    </strong>Posted by LetsHikeToday[/QUOTE]

Key word there is you were/are the teacher, you are supposed to teach.  Not make sure the kids hand in the assignments.  That is the parent/guardians job, last time I checked.  That is lame.

H or I check our kids' homework nightly, and they get in trouble if they do not complete it. 
    That teacher needs their job back. 
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teacher-fired-for-zeros?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f79e0c61-a683-4094-805e-ffbc11daa36bPost:5f8f8d4a-9ab0-4c53-b17b-5f28c1650fb6">Re:Teacher fired for zeros</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Teacher fired for zeros: Please explain.
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

<a href="http://grammarist.com/usage/baloney-bologna/" rel="nofollow">http://grammarist.com/usage/baloney-bologna/</a>
  • Did I go to the only high school where you could get an E?  It was basically failing with effort, still failing, but not as bad as an F.  Or some such bull.  

I got some terrible grades in HS because I refused to do my work for most classes.  I drove teachers nuts by not doing homework, and then getting A's on tests.  My district isn't used to students not trying hard and not being pushed by their parents, so they just didn't know what to do with me and basically let me slide by.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Graduation tickers
  • I love to eat it every day and if you ask me why I'll saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay... that Oscar Meyer is the way to B O L O G N A bitched
    panther
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teacher-fired-for-zeros?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f79e0c61-a683-4094-805e-ffbc11daa36bPost:d55a1eaf-502a-43e5-ab04-a9dd19fb3b6a">Re: Teacher fired for zeros</a>:
    [QUOTE]Did I go to the only high school where you could get <strong>an E?  It was basically failing with effort, still failing, but not as bad as an F.  Or some such bull. </strong>  I got some terrible grades in HS because I refused to do my work for most classes.  I drove teachers nuts by not doing homework, and then getting A's on tests.  My district isn't used to students not trying hard and not being pushed by their parents, so they just didn't know what to do with me and basically let me slide by.
    Posted by Starqueg[/QUOTE]

<em>What??</em>
    panther
  • The argument in my school is that kids grades should always be open to change. Say they fail the long division test. If they then learn how to do long division and can show you they know how to do it, they no longer fail at it so the grade should be changed.

My principal thought like that but she knew teachers wouldn't agree so she didn't force the issue.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • NebbNebb member
    Can someone just explain the balogna thing I can't go to the site on my phone.
  • Nebb

Baloney vs. bologna

Bologna is a meat. The word is short for bologna sausage, a type of sausage made of finely ground meat that has been cooked and smoked. Baloney is nonsense. It is an early 20th-century American coinage derived from bologna. It may also be influenced by blarney, which in one of its definitions means nonsense or deceptive talk.

Dictionaries differ on whether baloney and bologna are homophones in English. Some say both should be pronounced “baloney,” while others say bologna should be pronounced like the Italian city, Bologna (“boloan-ya”), where the sausage originates. All authorities agree that the two spellings have different meanings.

Examples

Not only does Main Street not believe it, a good part of Wall Street thinks it’s baloney as well. [CNBC]

Don’t give me this baloney that he applied for his retirement a long time ago. [Tonawanda News]

The meat at Gray’s Papaya tasted like burnt bologna. [NY Times Fifth Down Blog]

It was an uninspiring loaf of French bread and a ring of Oscar Mayer bologna. [Boston Globe]

Baloney is often used in the phrasal adjective phony-baloney (or, in British publications, phoney-baloney)—for example:

As such, they are perfectly suited to the phoney-baloney gimmickry of 3D … [The Guardian]

panther
  • NebbNebb member
    I've always pronounced it baloney, meat or otherwise. I'm always right so therefor its always baloney.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teacher-fired-for-zeros?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f79e0c61-a683-4094-805e-ffbc11daa36bPost:fb9581ef-f6e9-4cee-95b7-af4a6a0a788c">Re: Teacher fired for zeros</a>:
    [QUOTE]The argument in my school is that kids grades should always be open to change. Say they fail the long division test. If they then learn how to do long division and can show you they know how to do it, they no longer fail at it so the grade should be changed. My principal thought like that but she knew teachers wouldn't agree so she didn't force the issue.
    Posted by LetsHikeToday[/QUOTE]

Personally, I think if a kid takes longer to learn the subject and wants to do some EC to help those grades, I'm all for it.  I allow up to a certain percentage of EC work done as long as they have never had a late assignment in that unit.  Once you have one unexcused late assignment, your chance to do EC goes out the window until a new unit happens.  Also, if you do the EC and THEN get a late assignment, that EC also disappears.  It still makes them accountable for handing in their work but also gives them a chance to make up those points if they had a hard time with it at first.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teacher-fired-for-zeros?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f79e0c61-a683-4094-805e-ffbc11daa36bPost:1bf1b12d-11dc-4142-a5f2-a064ccbaaf76">Re:Teacher fired for zeros</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've always pronounced it baloney, meat or otherwise. I'm always right so therefor its always baloney.
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]
    I've always pronounced both as baloney, so obviously we're right. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teacher-fired-for-zeros?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f79e0c61-a683-4094-805e-ffbc11daa36bPost:dbbb888d-a977-4242-b5dc-9fa903e86795">Re:Teacher fired for zeros</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Teacher fired for zeros : I've always pronounced both as baloney, so obviously we're right. 
    Posted by dmiller9274[/QUOTE]
    They are both pronounced baloney but just spelled differently, right?
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Well however you spell it or say it, shiiit's nasty.
    panther
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teacher-fired-for-zeros?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f79e0c61-a683-4094-805e-ffbc11daa36bPost:daf2c9d0-d977-48ab-8ea0-94c9f5648613">Re: Teacher fired for zeros</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Teacher fired for zeros : Personally, I think if a kid takes longer to learn the subject and wants to do some EC to help those grades, I'm all for it.  I allow up to a certain percentage of EC work done as long as they have never had a late assignment in that unit.  Once you have one unexcused late assignment, your chance to do EC goes out the window until a new unit happens.  Also, if you do the EC and THEN get a late assignment, that EC also disappears.  It still makes them accountable for handing in their work but also gives them a chance to make up those points if they had a hard time with it at first.
    Posted by chelseamb11[/QUOTE]
    I'm not against a kid learning something longer than another kid so when I ask this question, I hope no one jumps down my throat about it.<div>
    </div><div>But, if you were to say "Well, he now passed it, I'll change his grade." Then what is the point of grading things in the first place? Why not have everything graded at the end of the 9 weeks or whatever.</div>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teacher-fired-for-zeros?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:f79e0c61-a683-4094-805e-ffbc11daa36bPost:ade1106a-ab14-48ac-ad80-a3d42116d318">Re:Teacher fired for zeros</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Teacher fired for zeros : They are both pronounced baloney but just spelled differently, right?
    Posted by LetsHikeToday[/QUOTE]

Yep.
    imageVacation
  • In my world this is called baloney (totally phony bologna)

And this is bologna

• when I think about actually trying to pronounce it bologna, I think of Ruperts old sig "fancy as fuuuck"
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Anna- we just call that ring bologna!
    imageVacation
  • I had a parent email me about his son's HANDWRITING grade...I was teaching first grade and most first grade boys, just like this kid, have poor handwriting.  So, he received 0's or 1's on all of his graded assignments (on a 0-4 point scale).  His dad emailed me come report card time and demanded to know how the kid got a 1 on his report card when he "always brought home 3's and was trying really hard."  Uh...what?  I don't know whatever happened because I was there to fill a maternity leave and the teacher came back after that.

Oh, and FI teaches college...he's had parents call/email him before about grades.  He thinks he didn't get asked back to one prestigious school because he rightfully failed students.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teacher-fired-for-zeros?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f79e0c61-a683-4094-805e-ffbc11daa36bPost:5061f60c-d56a-43cc-a8f0-2602dbd4bb43">Re: Teacher fired for zeros</a>:
    [QUOTE]Anna- we just call that ring bologna!
    Posted by brandichamberlain[/QUOTE]

Oh God.  It looks like a bologna donut.
    panther
  • My kids must do their homework before they are allowed to go out and play, or do anything else.

My 17 YO daughter copped an attitude this year about math, and homework was hellish in the house, but she did it.  I just told her that if she failed math there woulld be no summer school and she'd have to repeat. That cured her.

Also, I am taking my nursing prerequsites in my local community college. Since I haven't set foot in a classroom since 1985, I took a remedial math class as a refresher. I was shocked at the number of young, as in had graduated in the last two years young, students were in this class. It was a remedial algebra class. How the hell did they graduate HS with out a grasp on algebra?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teacher-fired-for-zeros?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:f79e0c61-a683-4094-805e-ffbc11daa36bPost:1c339b43-00f1-4422-bccb-20a883488823">Re:Teacher fired for zeros</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wtf is wrong with parents that they actually fihgt these things? Why are they like this now?
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

My parents would NEVER have agreed to argue with one of my teachers to get me a grade I didn't earn.  They would have told me to suck it up and if I didn't want a zero then I should do the dang work.

Andplusalso, if everyone is getting grades they didn't earn, how are colleges supposed to choose who to admit?  GPAs and test scores would become meaningless; colleges might as well throw everyones name into a pot and just pull names at random.  Most of these kids will have no real world skills and will have no idea how to cope with actual meaningful deadlines anyway.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teacher-fired-for-zeros?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:f79e0c61-a683-4094-805e-ffbc11daa36bPost:c0fad5a5-e8fb-4189-8b50-c3e365a47cf4">Re: Teacher fired for zeros</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Teacher fired for zeros : Oh God.  It looks like a bologna donut.
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

So what gives with you and donuts?
    imageVacation
  • I saw a cartoon on pinterest that showed 1960's the parents yelling explain this f to us and then now parents yelling at the teachers explain this f to us.

The future is looking really scary to me for my children. First it will start with homework, "oh you didn't turn it in, I will give you a C-" next thing we will see is "oh you shot and killed somebody, we will just give you probation"

The youth coming up is screwed.....everything is handed to them, they don't know how it feels to really earn anything or what work ethic is....IMO
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Flowers
    image 160 Invited
    image 2 are ready to party with there boots on! image 0 have better things to do image158 are trying to find there boots
    RSVP Date: July 25th
  • H went to a fairly prestigious private HS.  MIL has told me several times about how important it is that parents "advocate" for their kids. One of her favoriate stories is about how H got a C in some math class.  MIL was furious and called the teacher and said "He is an A/B student, not a C student.  You are wrong and he deserves a B".  She complained to the administration and got his grade changed. She is SO proud of the fact that she did this.  It makes me want to hurl. 

We have also gotten into several heated debates about public vs private schools.  She flat out said that ALL public schools have "discipline problems", and the ONLY way to succeed from a public school is to take the "high track" (meaning all honors/AP classes only).  She knows I went to public school and assumed I had done this.  When I told her that actually, I only took 3 honors classes HS and 1 AP class in all of HS and yet somehow still managed to earn my masters degree, she finally shut up.  Also? My public HS was a national blue ribbon school, and had a much better reputation than all of the private schools in my area did.  I was furious at all of the blanket statements she made. 
  • Oh hey guys!

I agree with everyone. Some parents today are nuts. I think as a parent you should be on your kid's side but there's a difference between being on your kid's side and thinking your kid can do no wrong. If they didn't turn in the assignment, of course they should get a zero! My Mom walked a brilliant line of being on my side but also letting me know when I was wrong. That's why I turned out so awesome.  Freaking crazy parents nowadays, they're screwing up their kids!
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teacher-fired-for-zeros?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f79e0c61-a683-4094-805e-ffbc11daa36bPost:764d0919-a30b-45ba-bcb7-72a13c910d4a">Re: Teacher fired for zeros</a>:
    [QUOTE]H went to a fairly prestigious private HS.  MIL has told me several times about how important it is that parents "advocate" for their kids. One of her favoriate stories is about how H got a C in some math class.  MIL was furious and called the teacher and said "He is an A/B student, not a C student.  You are wrong and he deserves a B".  She complained to the administration and got his grade changed. She is SO proud of the fact that she did this.  It makes me want to hurl.  We have also gotten into several heated debates about public vs private schools.  She flat out said that ALL public schools have "discipline problems", and the ONLY way to succeed from a public school is to take the "high track" (meaning all honors/AP classes only).  She knows I went to public school and assumed I had done this.  When I told her that actually, I only took 3 honors classes HS and 1 AP class in all of HS and yet somehow still managed to earn my masters degree, she finally shut up.  Also? My public HS was a national blue ribbon school, and had a much better reputation than all of the private schools in my area did.  I was furious at all of the blanket statements she made. 
    Posted by LP11509[/QUOTE]

I literally just almost gagged reading this.  No school or student is made equal, so blanket statements and even blanket standards drive me CRAZY.  Nowadays there is such a stigma attached to either attending college or not.  I feel like you're looked down upon now if you don't go to college, which is making students go crazy if they don't get the grades to get into college. 
  • edited June 2012
    First of all, the no zeros policy is ridiculous.  If anything, it seems like it would convince me not to hand in the assignments I knew I didn't know how to do, because it sounds like the school wanted the teacher to just enter some lame "work missing" code into his gradebook and then grade the student on whatever work the student actually did turn in.  Stupid. 

I will say I kind of get why he got disciplined though - the school had a clear policy and he violated it.  It's the dumbest, least productive policy I've heard of in a while, but it doesn't change the fact that it existed and he ignored it.  I still feel badly for the guy though.

Oh, and FYI to AATB, today is "National Donut Day."
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards