June 2012 Weddings

People getting married before you, who got engaged after you?

There is a girl I go to school with who got engaged a couple monts after me and she is getting married in May 2012. I'm not mad or upset about it, its just that I feel like I'm so far behind. I'm very excited for her, but I am a little jealous that she will be getting married a couple weeks before me. Anybody else have a similar situation?

Re: People getting married before you, who got engaged after you?

• not yet but I am sure it happen sooner or later. We just have to keep reminding ourselves we all do things differently then others

June 2012 December Siggy Challenge: Favorite Things about Christmas image
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio Updated 10/24/2011
  • I'm not dealing with that exactly...but my FI and I are waiting a little bit to tell our family that we're getting married. Normally, I would jump right on telling my mom that he's gonna get me a ring and what date we're looking at BUT not too long after we started having serious discussions about getting married, a week or two later, my son's father announced that he's getting married "next week" (they got married Nov. 5). I was the first to know that they found out girlfriend is pregnant and they were going to get married the following week (based on conversations with his parents, I'm not sure if they even know about the pregnancy yet). According to my son, they were going to get married out in the woods. Obviously very low key because none of his parents were invited...he just called to tell them that they plan on getting married 11/5.

FI's saving up for an engagement ring and we've decided to wait until I have it to announce our engagement to everyone, giving my son's father's random wedding some time to pass. Plus we're looking at June 25, 2012 so even if he waits until 2011 to officially propose with a ring, it's not going to look like we're rushing anything or trying to compete with my son's father. Son's father hooked up with 'that thing he's with' one month before FI and I got together, so I just want to make sure that there's NO way anyone will think I'm trying to compete...plus I'm not pregnant so there's another way to prove I'm not competing.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @2012julybride, I think you are handling your marriage/proposal/planning amazing. You definelty have yoour head set on straight!

June 2012 December Siggy Challenge: Favorite Things about Christmas image
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio Updated 10/24/2011
  • Yeah, but it didn't make me feel "weird" or anything. None of my friends are having the kind of wedding I want (small, courthouse, etc) so I'm not jealous of them. But I won't lie, if a few of them get engaged around the holidays and have a *big jersey wedding* before I do, I will have trouble not being jealous.

Photobucket

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_people-getting-married-before-got-engaged-after?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:c4f70e1f-6801-4014-8e43-f11c9cb2cefdPost:ac9d1c27-7d0a-4140-bddd-78e6b3c34be0">Re: People getting married before you, who got engaged after you?</a>:
    [QUOTE]@2012julybride, I think you are handling your marriage/proposal/planning amazing. You definelty have yoour head set on straight!
    Posted by sprtychick10[/QUOTE]

Thanks SprtyChick10...It's really nice to hear that! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_people-getting-married-before-got-engaged-after?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:c4f70e1f-6801-4014-8e43-f11c9cb2cefdPost:d184c74d-a4d7-4d81-82dc-e142c3f75298">People getting married before you, who got engaged after you?</a>:
    [QUOTE]There is a girl I go to school with who got engaged a couple monts after me and she is getting married in May 2012. I'm not mad or upset about it, <strong>its just that I feel like I'm so far behind</strong>. I'm very excited for her, but I am a little jealous that she will be getting married a couple weeks before me. Anybody else have a similar situation?
    Posted by Purple&7[/QUOTE]

What do you mean by this? Like as far a planning?

My sister got engage a year after me and is getting married exactly 11months before I plan to. I even somewhat picked her date. I am so happy for her. I could never be jealous of her or her wedding.

I don't see why you would be a little jealous of her being married a few weeks before you. I guess to me it doesn't matter to who gets married before or after me. All that matters is my marriage to FI.
  • I actually joke with my friends that in the time of our engagement (2 years) that they could meet a man, date him, become engaged and get married!  haha

We chose June of 2012 for a reason -- it wasn't a decision we just randomly picked easily -- I'm comfortable with my decision so I don't think that a friend getting married earlier would make me jealous...

Honestly though -- I'm more on the boat that I'm just excited for my FI and I to be husband and wife!  We've known each other for 12 years -- dated for 7.  We already consider each other family -- but I would be lying if I said that I wasn't getting anxious...but I guess for a different reason.....
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I think I feel behind because I don't have the time right now to really sit and look at wedding ideas. But that will change next week when the semester is over!
  • OUr best man just got engaged a couple of weeks a ago. And they are looking at a spring 2011 wedding. I love them both so its not a big deal. If anything I am jealous that its going to be so soon for them. It has to be that way for them though cause he is in the military and is doing one of the specitly schools and then who knows where he will go so they want to be married before he has to leave.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 139 Invited so far!
    image 79 Are ready to party!
    image 60 Will be missing out!
  • My FI and I have been engaged for almost a year and are planning a June 2012 wedding because I'll have graduated from grad school by then, hopefully he'll finally have a teaching job, and we'll have saved up enough money we're comfortable to move out on our own with....I am envious of people who got engaged after us and are getting married before us, but that's because they have jobs and parents helping them out with the wedding. My FI and I just have to be practical and realize we can't afford to get married yet, but it's hard because we just want to be together, as husband and wife and live together already.....we've been together 7 years:)
  • i have a similar issue but my friend is not engaged at all yet and "plans" on having her wedding 4 months before mine. all she talks about is "not getting the ring". since when did marriage become so material? she should be happy that someone loves her so much they want to spend the rest of their life with them. i got annoyed at the fact that she started planning and isnt even officially engaged (ring or no ring) because she kind of makes me feel bad when i talk about wedding stuff simply out of jealousy. we are at two different points in our lives and all shes seeing is the material side. its so sad but i've learned that no matter who gets engaged before/after or married before/after as long as its the wedding i always dreamed of I don't care anymore. HTH!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I know people who got engaged before me and are having MUCH shorter engagements. So I guess that's the same thing. You know what? WHO CARES!? If you're getting married when you want, where you want and to whom you want, then that is ALL that matters!! Laughing 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • My FI and I have been engaged for about 8 months and are planning a June 2012 wedding. My friend got engaged the week after me and is getting married October 2011. At first it was a little weird talking about similar situations of the wedding planning, but now it just seems that it worked out for the better. We help each other with different things. We are both getting married at a time that is best for us. I choose June 2012 because I graduate next week and would have been teaching for a year before I get married. The engagement time will hopefully give me the time to save up for a few aspects of the wedding and for a house :)
    June 2012-July Siggy Challenge: Ceremony Venue imagePlanning Bio Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_people-getting-married-before-got-engaged-after?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:c4f70e1f-6801-4014-8e43-f11c9cb2cefdPost:7bd21419-da75-4dd8-99f3-f0f3844b7ba9">Re: People getting married before you, who got engaged after you?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to People getting married before you, who got engaged after you? : What do you mean by this? Like as far a planning? My sister got engage a year after me and is getting married exactly 11months before I plan to. I even somewhat picked her date. I am so happy for her. I could never be jealous of her or her wedding. I<strong> don't see why you would be a little jealous of her being married a few weeks before you. I guess to me it doesn't matter to who gets married before or after me. All that matters is my marriage to FI.</strong>
    Posted by DodgersBride[/QUOTE]

<div>This exactly. I could not have said it better myself! </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lili7677lili7677 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2010
    Wow, that happend to me too to where my friend she got engaged AFTER me but yet her wedding is April 2011, my wedding is actually 9/3/11. But, I had the same situation to happen. So I understand it's ok still be the friend you are and support her. Yeah you were supposed to be married first before her. But it doesnt matter what matters is your friendship and support her. And also as she in turn will do the same for you and also as well. And on your day it wil be about you and your husband. So let her have her day and support her and you will have your day and she will support you.        
  • Sorry this is long--
    FI and I got engaged back in May.  FI's sister got engaged just a month ago and will be getting married this July.  I am not jealous of her, I want all the best for her and her FI.  I am just tired of listening to the comparisons between the two, especially as far as costs go. (Which I imagine we would be hearing no matter the order of engagements/weddings.)
    They have decided on a small morning wedding with both the ceremony and a short brunch reception at a nearby golf course.  Ours will be quite a bit larger, in the evening and will have an open bar. Naturally our costs are going to be higher.
    In just one month, it would surprise you how many times you can be told by FI's family something along the lines of, "I don't know why you're bothering with all of that fuss, it is so expensive.  If you would do what they are doing, it would be so much cheaper."
    I have a rather well rehearsed (smile included), "I am very glad that their dream is coming together and is so affordable for them, however it is their dream, not ours."
    There is a reason why we are waiting two years and not rushing to have it...
    And in the end, he who pays, has a say...and they aren't paying :)
  • @Tiffany, that's exactly why my fiance and I are planning to wait so long too, so we can celebrate getting married the way we want to. I don't envy your situation, that's gotta be so annoying! Everyone has an opinion about EVERYTHING, but I'm trying to remember that the only opinion that counts is yours and your fiance's.  My sister's husband tried to get us to change our mind about having a wedding at all, and just having a small ceremony because he doesn't think we should wait so long to get married. The thing is, it's not like we're planning an extravagant wedding that's going to cost a ton, the most we want to spend is $20,000 (bc I have a massive family). 
  • sarahlm - I couldn't have said it better.  Our situaions sounds similar.  My FI and I have known eachother for 22 years and have been dating for 6.  We got engaged 7 months ago.  We could have gotten married in 2011, but there is a reason we waited until 2012 and I'm am happy we sticking to our plan. 

One of my friend got married this past summer and another got married just 2 months ago.  I'm not jealous that they got married first.  I got to enjoy helping them plan their weddings and I have even learned some things to do or not to do when it comes time to really start planning ours.

Besides...there are a couple benefits to having a long engagement:  it gives us more time to save money for the wedding and honeymoon and hopefully it'll be a little less stressful because we have plenty of time to plan it!  : ) 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @tiffany
    you said it perfectly! i have had tons of people being nosy asking why we're waiting 2 years and it's really annoying lol!
    we are also saving up and planning the kind of wedding we want, our parents aren't paying for everything so we are doing what we want!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • yeah, sometimes I feel a little jealous, mostly because I found out one of my bridesmaids got engaged through facebook, and is having a three month engagement, getting married this December.  I think it's kind of annoying, but mostly because they haven't been together all that long and suddenly have an apartment together, a dog, are apparently looking at houses, and are now engaged.  It's like they're playing house and think it's a game... :/

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards