Christian Weddings

Missionary Kids Or Preacher's Daughters/Getting to know ya.

I am a missionary to Malawi Africa, and I was thinking, if there were other MK's or PK's out there, we should get to know eachtoher!
Here are some questions you can cpoy and paste in your own answers!
Add any questions if you'd like.

UserName: znd13
FI Age: 19
How many are in your family?: Nine. Mom, Dad, and Seven Sisters. :-)
Where are you from?: Born in Southern Ohio and from Southern Ohio
Where is FI from: Born in Washington, from Ohio
Where/how did you meet your FI?: We went to church together since we were little tykes!
How long have you been dating?: Officially since last March.
How did he ask you to marry him?: We went to Olive Garden and the waitress brought out some Chocolate Mousse, with chocolate covered Strawberries for dessert, and the ring was stuck in one of the strawberries. :-) He got down on one knee and asked, "Debbs, will you marry me?" My reply? Nothing, only nodded my head. :-)
When is your wedding?: August 2013...not sure on the actual date yet.
Where are you ministering to?: My family is missionaries to Malawi Africa. His family are church planters.
How long have you been in the ministry?: Since I was 12.
FI's Job: Line Supplier for Ashley Furniture.
Favorite Thing about FI: He is so caring and kind to me. He is hardly ever annoyed and always makes people laugh.
Least Favorite Thing about FI: He doesn't listen to me when I complain. lol
How Long You have Been on TK: Since March 2012
How You Came to be on TK: I would look for wedding ideas and 'The Knot' would always come up...but I couldn't get to the 'good stuff' without joining, so I joined! lol
Wedding Colors: Imperial Purple and light pinks
Favorite Movie: I really couldn't say...there is a lot!
Favorite Food: Italian and Mexican
Favorite Drink: Sweet Tea
Favorite Hobby: Chillin' with fam and friends, shopping...if I have money, I hate going when I can't get anything, and putterin' in the kitchen.
How Many Bridesmaids will you have?: MOH, and 3 Bridesmaids
Where You Are in Wedding Planning: Planning everything out, not buying anything yet though.
Honeymoon Destination: Glacier Mountain National Park in Montana.
Where you are going to be living after marriage: Cincinnati area in Ohio

Re: Missionary Kids Or Preacher's Daughters/Getting to know ya.

• Some of us are already married so I modified it to fit us married ones too :)

UserName: LeahVB2011

FI / DH Age: 25
    How many are in your family?: 4, Mom, Dad, Sister ( and now she's married with 2 sons)
    Where are you from?: Born in NC, grew up mainly in FL 
    Where is FI/ DH from: Born and raised in Central FL
    Where/how did you meet your FI?: Met at Bible college
    How long have you been dating?: We have been together 2 and half years
    How did he ask you to marry him?: I came home sick from a mission trip with pink eye and a double ear infection and a few days after I came home he surprised me by showing up at my house and taking care of me. That night we sat on the back porch talking and he proposed 
    When is / was your wedding?: June 4, 2011 
    Where are you ministering to?: My dad was a pastor for 25 years (with 3 years in Belarus) and is now a Hospice chaplin. DH and I are both in seminary (he's working on his MDiv in Pastoral Ministry and I'm getting my BA in Christian Studies with a history minor) we hope to get called to a church in this area within the next year.
    How long have you been in the ministry?: I felt the call when I was 14 and when I was 17, I felt the call to one day be a minister's wife. I have served in church since I was young 
    FI/DH's Job:  bank teller
    Favorite Thing about FI/ DH: He's willing to stop playing his computer games when ever I ask
    Least Favorite Thing about FI/ DH: Forgetting to do random chores that I ask him do to while I'm at work
    How Long You have Been on TK: August 2010
    How You Came to be on TK: My sister used the website when planning her wedding and she mention the TK boards all the time.
    Wedding Colors: Corn Flower blue with other spring colors mixed in
    Favorite Movie: I really couldn't say...there is a lot!
    Favorite Food: Italian and Mexican
    Favorite Hobby: Chillin' with fam and friends, shopping...if I have money, I hate going when I can't get anything, spending time on pinterest looking for new ideas
    How Many Bridesmaids will / did you have?: MOH, and 3 Bridesmaids
    Where You Are in Wedding Planning: Done! Been happily married for one year and almost a month!
    Honeymoon Destination: St Augustine, FL
    Where you are going to be living after marriage: We are in NC for school
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited June 2012

UserName: FutureMrsB (but I am officially Mrs. B now)

DH Age: 34

How many are in your family? 5 (parents, older brother, younger sister)

Where are you from? Born in WA, but I've lived in OR, IA, IL, GA, FL, MS, KY, Indonesia, and I'm now living in NM with H

Where is DH from? Born in TX, raised in NM

Where/how did you meet your DH? Met online at christiandatingforfree.com

How long have you been dating? Dated for a year and 9 months, engaged for 8 months, married for 2 weeks! :)

How did he ask you to marry him? We took a trip to northern NM for his birthday and he proposed overlooking the Rio Grande Gorge in Taos, NM

When was your wedding? June 9, 2012 (been married for 2 glorious weeks now!)

Where are you ministering to?: My dad is a pastor in the Evangelical Methodist Church and we've moved all over the States (they are now in TX); I also served overseas for 2 years teaching MK's at an international school!!!

How long have you been in the ministry?: I've been involved in some type of ministry or another since I was a kid - I even taught Sunday School when I was in middle school!

DH's Job: computer operator in the IT dept. of a credit union

Favorite Thing about DH: He’s a praying man! We pray together everyday

Least Favorite Thing about DH: He’s kinda messy J

How Long You have Been on TK: I don’t remember, maybe summer 2011 (my profile says Sept, 2011, but I had a previous profile before this one)

How You Came to be on TK: My sister told me about it – she used it for her wedding planning

Wedding Colors: Royal blue and white, with a little touch of purple

Favorite Movie: Anne of Green Gables

Favorite Food: Pizza and Ice Cream

Favorite Drink: Diet Dr. Pepper

Favorite Hobby: Playing the clarinet

How Many Bridesmaids did you have? 4 BM, 1 Jr. BM

Where You Are in Wedding Planning: Married!

Honeymoon Destination: Northern NM/Southern CO, and four corners (includes UT, AZ, NM, and CO)

Where you are going to be living after marriage: NM, in H’s hometown (but hoping to move in a few years for better jobs!)

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_missionary-kids-or-preachers-daughtersgetting-to-know-ya?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:12e30496-0445-43a7-b9b0-a3c45f3434dfPost:123dad91-58ae-4228-88c4-2ce90ba10d23">Missionary Kids Or Preacher's Daughters/Getting to know ya.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am a missionary to Malawi Africa,
    Posted by znd13[/QUOTE]

That's so cool! I am a PK, but I taught MK's in Indonesia. I know several missionaries who have gone to Africa, but I've never had a chance to go. Even my brother spent some time in Kenya.
  • Hi Znd!  My aunt spent a year in Malawi about 10 years ago, I had a pen pal there for several years.  She was there helping teach people how to farm and do agriculture.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_missionary-kids-or-preachers-daughtersgetting-to-know-ya?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:12e30496-0445-43a7-b9b0-a3c45f3434dfPost:123dad91-58ae-4228-88c4-2ce90ba10d23">Missionary Kids Or Preacher's Daughters/Getting to know ya.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am a missionary to Malawi Africa. [/QUOTE]

I know a family that are missionaries in Malawi!

And my dad was an MK (his parents were in Korea).
  • I'm not a MK or a PK but I am a soon to be Preacher's wife and I am a Deacon's daughter.

UserName: SugarFoote
    FI Age: 26
    How many are in your family?: 4. Me, Mom, Dad, older Sister
    Where are you from?: Born in Dalton, GA. Raised in Grainger County, TN
    Where is FI from: Claiborne County, TN
    Where/how did you meet your FI?: Church :)
    How long have you been dating?: July 29, 2011
    How did he ask you to marry him?: He was out of town and couldn't wait until he got back so it was over the phone but when I saw him he got down on one knee and asked again.
    When is your wedding?: Possibly June 21, 2014 but we are saving for a house.  
    Where are you ministering to?: FI is a Baptist preacher.
    How long have you been in the ministry?: I'm not sure how to answer this. I've been saved since I was 14.
    FI's Job: Works for the state of TN with TDOT.
    Favorite Thing about FI: He respects me. Never has a guy respected me like he does.
    Least Favorite Thing about FI: He has selective hearing.
    How Long You have Been on TK: Feb 2012
    How You Came to be on TK: Googling wedding ideas lead me here.
    Wedding Colors: To be determined...
    Favorite Movie: Gone with the Wind...I would've been an awesome Southern Belle.
    Favorite Food: Anything with pasta
    Favorite Hobby: Reading and fishing.
    How Many Bridesmaids will you have?: 2 MOH, and 3 Bridesmaids
    Where You Are in Wedding Planning: I've got 2 ideas...One for a more causal wedding and one for a more formal wedding. Once I figure out which route I want to take, then I will have it figured out :)
    Honeymoon Destination: Gatlinburg, TN or Charleston, SC
    Where you are going to be living after marriage: Claiborne County, TN
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • znd13znd13 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_missionary-kids-or-preachers-daughtersgetting-to-know-ya?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:12e30496-0445-43a7-b9b0-a3c45f3434dfPost:f931de50-2503-43da-810e-081ddb01caaf">Re: Missionary Kids Or Preacher's Daughters/Getting to know ya.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Missionary Kids Or Preacher's Daughters/Getting to know ya. : I know a family that are missionaries in Malawi! And my dad was an MK (his parents were in Korea).
    Posted by azdancer8[/QUOTE]

Cool! Who's the family? We know/or know of several families here!
  • UserName: GunznRoses

FI Age: 31

How many are in your family? my parents and my sister

Where are you from? Gratz PA, York PA, Highland Park IL , Myerstown PA...

Where is FI from? Pottsville PA

Where/how did you meet your FI? in a cornmaze

How long have you been dating? Since Feb of 2010... engaged since Feb of this year

How did he ask you to marry him? We were actually looking at venues and I knew he had bought the ring and I just had NO idea he had it with him that night...

When is your wedding :  Oct 13th 2012

Where are you ministering to?: My dad was a pastor he is now a theology proffessor that kinda "makes" future pastors ... We've been all over

How long have you been in the ministry?: I really was pretty active with Bible school since I was a teenager ...Now I'd like to talk to Teen girls about sex/pregnancy /abstinence...

FIJob: Construction

Favorite Thing about FI: He's my best friend and he treats my son like he's his own

Least Favorite Thing about DH: He bites his nails !!

How Long You have Been on TK: Not sure .. on a off a few times before i was "officially " engaged

How You Came to be on TK: the magazine

Wedding Colors: Maroon and light blue [ old school phillies colors ]

Favorite Movie: Forrest Gump

Favorite Food: Pork fried Rice

Favorite Drink: peach tea snapple

Favorite Hobby: movies , reading ... time with my boys

How Many Bridesmaids did you have? will have 5

Where You Are in Wedding Planning: 109 days away !!

Honeymoon Destination:  NO idea.... might not be doing one right away ..

Where you are going to be living after marriage: God only knows ....

Love is All You Need
  • znd13znd13 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_missionary-kids-or-preachers-daughtersgetting-to-know-ya?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:12e30496-0445-43a7-b9b0-a3c45f3434dfPost:048e8eeb-8fe9-4cb8-89eb-19538cd45480">Re: Missionary Kids Or Preacher's Daughters/Getting to know ya.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Favorite Drink: peach tea snapple

I like Snapples! I had them once while in NYC. :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards