Kentucky-Louisville

Moving to Louisville

Hi Ladies,
My FI and I are moving to louisville this summer, we'll be visiting next wknd for a few days to find an apt. This is my first time visiting and I'm really excited! Do you guys have any suggestions for our visit - your fave restaurants, coffee shops, neighborhoods? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated :) I look forward to getting to know you guys and the louisville area in the coming months!
-Jaridds

ETA: spelling
Photobucket

Re: Moving to Louisville

• edited February 2012
    There are all kinds of places to see in Louisville. If you are wanting to sight see, there is always the Louisville Slugger museum or Churchill downs. As far a places to eat, I guess that depends on what you like. My FI likes Wick's Pizza, its a local place, there is also Mark's Feed Store (its a BBQ place). There is a burger place where you have a toppings bar to put whatever you want on your burger (they also have chicken) its call WW Cousin's. Then you can check out 4th Street Live in down town they have several different places to eat and bars to check out as well.
    imageAnniversary
  • There are all kinds of places to see in Louisville. If you are wanting to sight see, there is always the Louisville Slugger museum or Churchill downs. As far a places to eat, I guess that depends on what you like. My FI likes Wick's Pizza, its a local place, there is also Mark's Feed Store (its a BBQ place). There is a burger place where you have a toppings bar to put whatever you want on your burger (they also have chicken) its call WW Cousin's. Then you can check out 4th Street Live in down town they have several different places to eat and bars to check out as well.
    imageAnniversary
  • The Highlands is the best neighborhood in my opinion.  It's very convenient to downtown if you are going to be working downtown. You can walk to Cherokee Park and a ton of restaurants, bars, and shops.  There are a lot of young people in this area.  The vast majority of apartments you will find in this area are in older houses that have been split into apartments, there aren't any new apartment complex type buildings.  If you want that type of apartment you will have to look further out in the suburbs.    

For favorite nice restaurant, I recommend Seviche on Bardstown Road.  WIck's has very good pizza, and so does a place called Papalino's which is down the street from Wick's on Baxter.  Hammerheads and Baxter Station are also  great casual places to eat.  

My favorite coffee shop is probably Java - some of them are called Vint now.  There are also a lot of Heine Brother coffee shops all around town, and a place called Quills on Baxter.

Louisville is a great place to live and I recommend you talke advantage of all the local restuarants and shops and the great park system!
  • edited February 2012
    It all depends on what you like to do and what type of place you want.  If you want to give us additional details on what your interest are and such we could offer more specific recommendations. Generally speaking the East end is the nicer end of town but there are nice neighborhoods scattered throughout the city.

One of my fave restaurants is the Bristol bar & grill. There are several locations and the menu varies if you go to the one downtown I recommend Theresa’s Sweet Chili Linguini. I go to Wild Eggs for breakfast/ brunch whenever possible, Lynn's is a local favorite and a fun environment. North end cafe is a good choice as well. Bardstown Rd/ Highlands and Frankfort Ave areas have a lot of great local restaurants/ bars and character. It's a laid back area compared to 4th street which is a more club like atmosphere. Phoenix Hill Tavern (PHT) is one bar that has a little bit of everything and live bands playing all the time, I haven't been lately so forgive me if it has changed. Embarassed

The Frazier museum, Glassworks and 21 C are some fun local attractions downtown. I agree with PP the parks are great around here esp Cherokee and EP "Tom" Sawyer.

Wedding Countdown Ticker unnamed LilySlim Weight loss tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • 4th Street Live is a main attraction with several restaurants, clubs, bars, etc. Also the Highlands seems to be quite popular with restaurants, bars and clubs as well. I recommend going to 21c just so you can use the bathroom (their artistic bathrooms are like known nationwide). Restaurant wise, if your looking for a nice restaurant, my fiancé and I love The Melting Pot as well as Ruth Chris and Stoney River. There are also some great restaurants along Frankfort Ave. Living wise, I recommend looking into the east end, although there are some good places throughout the city. I highly recommend Propsect partly because that is where I live and I love it. The only bad part is apartments are very limited in this area. Whatever you choose, you will be happy because Louisville is a great place!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank you all so much! This is really helpful :) 

We're looking at apts in the east end, Bardstown, and the Brownsboro/Frankfurt areas. So far we have a few dinners planned, one at Hillbilly Tea, and another at Mojito Tapas. We'll be there a few days so I'll be picking from your suggestions for the rest of our meals! 

When FI interviewed for his job he stayed at 21C and is really excited to show it to me, I saw pics and OMG penguins! 
    Photobucket
  • I would highly suggest going to Coals, it's a brick oven pizza place at The Vogue Center on Frankfort Avenue, which is in the east end.
    Also, Yangkee Noodle is a local asian restaurant at The Oxmoor Mall (the nicest mall in Louisville) - very good food & healthy! 
    Ditto's on Bardstown Road is also very good.  It is in the highlands, which is on Bardstown Road.

Quills and Heine Brother are both great coffee shops. 

You will enjoy the east end. You might want to go to The Summitt shopping center.  It is  in Crestwood, off Brownsboro Road.  Very very nice!!

So: Coals, Yangkee Noodle, Ditto's, Quills, Heine Brothers and The Summitt shopping center! 
    You will for sure have a good time :-)

Hillbilly Tea is pretty good.  I must warn you though, the dinner portions are not big at all and there is not a lot to choose from.  I bought the Groupon a few weeks ago.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_kentucky-louisville_moving-to-louisville?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:608Discussion:7ba355d3-79bd-4e71-b25a-1ed95eebbe67Post:0f5590b7-43f1-47d9-a3be-672214d03765">Re: Moving to Louisville</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would highly suggest going to Coals, it's a brick oven pizza place at The Vogue Center on Frankfort Avenue, which is in the east end. Also, Yangkee Noodle is a local asian restaurant at The Oxmoor Mall (the nicest mall in Louisville) - very good food & healthy!  Ditto's on Bardstown Road is also very good.  It is in the highlands, which is on Bardstown Road. Quills and Heine Brother are both great coffee shops.  You will enjoy the east end. You might want to go to The Summitt shopping center.  It is  in Crestwood, off Brownsboro Road.  Very very nice!! So: Coals, Yangkee Noodle, Ditto's, Quills, Heine Brothers and The Summitt shopping center!  You will for sure have a good time :-) Hillbilly Tea is pretty good.  I must warn you though, the dinner portions are not big at all and there is not a lot to choose from. <strong> I bought the Groupon a few weeks ago</strong>.
    Posted by annamhisle[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>We're going bc FI bought the coupon too. Thanks for all the suggestions and I'll make sure to eat a big lunch before HillBilly Tea, thank you!

</div>
    Photobucket
  • My FH and are in the same situation. We are moving from Cleveland to Louisvile this spring. We are getting married in October so it's finding a place to live and planning from a distance. It's stressful and I feel your pain lol due to my work schedule I probably wont be able to go back down there until we actually move... So he is shouldering a lot of finding a place himself. I actually have him looking at a venue this weekend. Louisvile seems like a cool area and I am really excited for the change and to get married there!
  • Thanks everyone! We found a place on Bardstown rd, we're very excited and can't wait to move in!

While we were in town we went to: Java (on bardstown rd), Mojito's, Please and Thank You, 21C (amazing food, and the bathrooms were wicked cool and I loved the art gallery!), the Slugger Museum, The Brown Hotel (to get the Hot Brown nomnom), and Hammerheads. Oh and we went to the Woodford Reserve for their tour & tasting. Looking forward to checking off all your rec's :)

@Jenner good luck with the move! if you guys want any info let me know since we just went through the whole apt search. have you been to louisville? i really really fell in the love with the city, and i'm very excited to move!
    Photobucket
  • We hope you love it here as much as we do. Louisvillians are very friendly and polite. it's a beautiful historic city with lovely parks and neighborhoods built upon hills. Stay in the "East End, St. Matthews, Crescent Hill, the very popular Highland Good luck and welcome to louisvillE!
  • Louisville is my favorite city in the world! Honestly, I recommend moving over the bridge to Indiana. The schools are a little better (public schools, that is) and there are more suburban areas. I live less than 5 minutes from downtown, and have all the convenience of living near the city, without the bad parts. Just a thought...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards