Missouri-St Louis
Options

Catholic churches

I know there are several great Catholic churches in the St. Louis area, but I don't really know anything about any off them.  My fiance and I don't live in St. Louis, but oour families do, so that is where we are planning to get married.  Can anyone give suggestions on good churches to get married in and the prices?  Seems like most of the churches charge around $800-850, which I feel like is expensive, but I'm new at this.  Thanks for the help!

Re: Catholic churches

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Well, you could start with your family's parish. I'm assuming either yours or his or both are Catholic, so that's where I'd begin. Check out what churches they attend. I'm Catholic, and so I know that the various parishes have different rules about who can get married there...sometimes you have to be a registered parishoner to get the lower rental rate. Or you may have to get permission from the Church you currently attend to get married at another church. You could also go to the St. Louis Archdiocese website, b/c they have full listings of all the churches here in St. Louis. One final thought...I'd really make finding a church a priority b/c although each priest/parish is different, you're going to have to go thru pre-cana classes and some type of couples prep, like the Engaged Encounter Weekend. This takes time and you dont want to put it off til last minute. Good Luck!
    Photobucket Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think the cheapest church I looked at is $600ish.
    White Knot
    Stand up for something you believe in. White Knot
  • Options
    tiffers434tiffers434 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm in LOVE with my church, St. Francis Xavier on SLU's campus. It's 900 plus 160 for a cantor and pianst, each, but it is gorgeous!

Just a thought!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sometimes if your parents are parishoners, you will get the "parishoner discount" - although for the rental and musicians, you will still probably pay around $500. Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I forgot to mention that the catholic church I'm getting married in is only $200, but my fiance is a parishoner there. My parish is the Cathedral Basilica in the CWE, and its like $1500. So..huge difference. Its possible to find an affordable church, but the historical ones, and ornate ones are gonna be pretty pricey no matter what.
    Photobucket Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_missouri-st-louis_catholic-churches-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:87Discussion:05b03272-d150-4ce3-b26e-3415bc9c635bPost:7f13530e-8bd5-4b30-a3a6-88d540bf7a33">Re: Catholic churches</a>:
    [QUOTE]I forgot to mention that the catholic church I'm getting married in is only $200, but my fiance is a parishoner there. My parish is the Cathedral Basilica in the CWE, and its like $1500. So..huge difference. Its possible to find an affordable church, but the historical ones, and ornate ones are gonna be pretty pricey no matter what.
    Posted by RaeRae1126[/QUOTE]

What parish does your FI belong to if you don't mind me asking?  My FI is Catholic and I am not, but he wants to become a parishoner somewhere nearby (not just for the wedding, but to belong to a church as well).
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I sometimes go to St. Teresa St. Bridget for Mass.  They're located less than a mile north of the Fox Theatre.  Nonparishoners can get married there for less than $600. 

http://www.ststb.org/id28.html
  • Options
    FrimblesFrimbles member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There are a ton of shrines to get married at, too. The Shrine of St. Anthony's is a perenial favorite, and I don't think you need to jump through any hoops to get married there because it's not an actual parish. However, it is very much in demand because it is so beautiful, so prices may be a little high.

I suggest you look for old churches in the city, as well. Our Lady of Sorrows is a smaller, gorgeous church that won't need to be decorated and their pianist/cantor is AMAZING. The one of the only new churches that is very beautiful and suited for a wedding, in my opinion, is St. Gabriel in South City.

A good deal of churches have mosaics all over(like Sorrows), which is another thing to consider- it may not go with your wedding if you have a blue theme and the mosaics are mostly yellow and brown

A lot of the county churches are new or renovated and I personally don't much like their style.

I hoped this helped! There are plenty of churches to choose from, so hopefully you'll find the perfect match!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards