Gay Weddings

Did you change your name?

We are getting our marriage license on Friday, which makes Friday morning  the last second for me to decide if I should change my name or not. I really want to change my name (my maiden initials are BJ...gross) but I feel like the name change process might be really complicated.

Have you guys changed your name? Any issues with passports, drivers licenses etc?
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Did you change your name?

• 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't change my name either time I got married, and I'm glad I didn't.  Not only would there have been the hassle of changing my name initially, but when he left me after 20 years of marriage, I would have had to either rebuild my reputation in my field with a new name or keep the name of the man who divorced me.

If you want to change your name, it should be ok with all the federal government agencies involved (Social Security, passport, etc.).  The only question is whether it would be an issue for state law purposes.  If you are in Massachusetts, that should be a nonissue.  Other states have refused to recognize name changes due to a same-sex marriage.
  • edited December 2011
    My partner and I are getting married after 7 years together in March 2012, so we have time to decide for sure.  At first I was totally against changing my name at all.  At first I thought it would be disrespectful to my family to change my name. Also, I like my last name and dont want to change it.  Recently we've been floating around the idea of hyphenating (sp) our last names.   basically I would take his last name, and he would take mine.  I think that might be a good comprimise.  In reality though, I dont think having the same last name is that big of a deal though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • llucas45llucas45 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I am changing my name. but we live in iowa where same sex marriage is legal so it is a fairly easy process.
    Anniversary
  • K&J64K&J64 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Neither of us changed our names. We will have to figure out what we will do when we start a family. I'll all for just hypenating the last names for the children, but my wife thinks it's too long. We're ignoring the issue for now lol.

Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    We've had a hard time deciding what to do.  Neither of us is really all that fond of our last names (long, hard to spell, neither choice is really an upgrade for either of us) and it would be a monster of a name if we chose to hyphenate.  We both theoretically like the idea of just picking a whole new last name, but we can't think of one that seems right.  There's no combination of bits of our last names that even sounds like a word that should exist.  lol  So I think we're just going to keep our names because anything else is too complicated.
    imageWhite Knot Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

It's looking very likely that I will be changing my name. 

I've had a variety of issues over the years with my biological family.  Everything from actual physical and mental abuse, to just flat out disrespectful behaviour, to actual criminal activity (NOT on my part).  I'm sort of the white sheep of my family.

When Kevin and I met, I was amazed at how supportive and loving his family was, and how welcoming they were.  Within a few weeks of our meeting, his mom and dad were my mom and dad. 

it just seemed like the obvious choice for me to "officially" join the family.

• abendregenabendregen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree very much. My family is actually wonderful, but so is hers and they feel like another family...so the tipping point for me was that I have a very plain and common name and would enjoy taking her exotic French name :) but if it weren't for her amazing family that is associated with that name, I wouldn't necessarily have chosen to do so, or at least not as decisively.
  • deegadee9deegadee9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think I decided to do it! The tipping point for me: over 4,000 people with my "maiden" name on LInked in and only 25 with my married name!  I think it will be good for my "personal brand" and it will make our marrige feel a lot more real...or people will just think we are sisters...whateves. Now to make a list of all of the crap that is in my name. YAY.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • brzybrzy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've been thinking about it. I changed my name when I married the first time. Kept it..not realy sure why..guess because we had 3 children together. This itime it's either I'll take her name or we have been thinking of coming up with a new last name for the both of us..a combo of our last names.
  • GenCerriGenCerri member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My fiancee and I have been having a rough time with this too.  We both have great last names and she is a business owner with a stable family, so the rulings out on her changing her name.  My last name is adorable and I've definitely personalized it  I am leaning towards making my current last name (my soon-to-be maiden name) my middle name and to take her last name.  The reason it is so important to me to have the same last name as my soon-to-be wife is for our children - I don't want things to get complicated and I want to feel like a real "family."  Hyphenating our names is way to long.  I like the idea of a combination where I take the first two letters of her name and tack it on to mine, but she doesn't want to change her name because of the ties that it has to her family.  AH!  What to do! At least we have a year to decide... So glad there are other couples out there who are having the same dillemma!
  • edited December 2011

I live in Michigan and my FI will be married in Chicago July 2012. I will be changing my last name as soon as I come home. I have already consulted with an attorney about the change and she said it should be easy...I hope for the best
  • edited December 2011

I decided to change my name. Here in Florida, I only need to fill out a book of paperwork and go before a judge to get it okay'd. But I feel that it is worth it. My family is probably not all for it, but all the grandkids have the family last name and I'm not planning on having kids. It's one way for my girlfriend and I to feel as one. Since marriage isn't legal here yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards