Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Big Island and Maui

Hey Brides and Newlyweds!  FI and I are taking our honeymoon to Maui and the Big Island in May.  I have read through the past few months of posts about Hawaii, but I'm still desperate for any advice you have about where to go, what to do, and what you enjoyed the most.  Thanks so much ladies!

P.S. We don't have a place to stay on the Big Island yet, so recs there would be great too!
Photobucket

Re: Big Island and Maui

• Options
    We went to Maui and my favorite thing was the Road to Hana--although it gets mixed reviews on this board.  We did the guided tour (we didn't drive it ourselves) and yes it's a full day but it was so beautiful.  I have pics in my bio--not that they do it any justice.
  • Options
    I think the Road to Hana requires a certain personality - it's about the journey, not the destination. I think that's why so many people dislike it - they underestimate what a tough/long drive it is! I thought it was totally worth while - though I like the drive around the north west highway more.

As for the BI - are you looking for hotel or condo recs? We've stayed at two of the Outrigger condos (Royal Sea Cliffs and the Kanaloa - I liked the second one better, FWIW) and they've both been great. If you're going the resort route, the beach at Mauna Lani is sooo good!
  • Options
    We loved Maui (went last August).  Here are some things we did:
    -Road to Hana (definitely use the Maui Revealed book or audio guide)
    -Ziplining with EcoSkyline Adventures
    -Old Lahaina Luau
    -Sunset Champagne Cruise with Scotch Mist 2 out of Lahaina
    -Sunrise and Bikeride down Haleakala with Maui Mountain Cruisers
    -Dinner at Mama's Fish House
    -Dinner at Sonz at the Hyatt in Kannapali where we stayed
    -Dinner at Cool Cats Burgers in Lahaina
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    the Big Island was actually our favorite island.  We loved Volcano National Park (hiked through a crater).  We went to site to see the lava flow at night (very cool to watch).  We went to a black sand beach, a green sand beach, and a red sand beach. We also went through Waipio Valley (where a scene from Jurassic Park was filmed). Pretty cool drive down a valley.   We also went to the Kona Brewery.  Great food and excellent beer.  We found a local liquor store in NJ that carries their beer so we are super excited about that.

In Maui, I recommend the Road to Hana, Mama's Fish House, Haleakala Sunrise Tour, Old Lahaina Luau.

Eat at Roy's on both islands.  We loved that restaurant!

I miss it!  Have fun!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards