Canada-Ontario

*Littlin*

Hey!
I e-mailed Father Mick like 3 days ago and haven't heard back from him...in my experience with him, this is unusual, as he is for the most part, pretty timely in his responses. Do you know if he is away or something?

Thanks!

Re: *Littlin*

• LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As far as I know, he is around, but it is not uncommon for him to travel for a few days from time to time.  He never answered any of my emails but always gets back to FI, lol, I don't know why.

I would simply call the church - the receptionist will either transfer you to him or let you know he is away.  I saved up a whole bunch of questions between the first time we met in August and the second time we met in January and asked them all in person.  I'm doing the same thing right now until we meet again late May/early June.
  • edited December 2011
    I am a bit worried because we haven't had our second meeting yet (the one I think you guys had in January). FI is at school in the states and rarely comes back up north so it has been hard to meet up. And two of the weekends were taken up doing the catholic marriage course....I know I am probably just worried over nothing, but since there is no contract or anything....
    Do you know how much it costs to rent the church and how much we are supposed to pay him to perform the ceremony?
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There isn't any "contract" really - he'll just separate the two of you at some point and ask you both that you aren't being forced into it, etc., and go through some details to work on for your next meeting (you probably got a book of readings to choose from at your prep course, pick ceremony music, work on programs, etc.)

*Side note - he has to confirm your program layout and details first - so do a mock-up before you spend the money printing them all!

The fee to use the church is $300 - that all goes to the CHURCH, not the priest.  We are going to get him a $100 gift card or something just for him as a way to say thank you.  You'll probably pay him at your last meeting or at the rehearsal.

If you are worrying, I would definitely CALL him - sometimes emails get lost. 
  • edited December 2011
    Are you inviting him to the rehearsal dinner/your wedding? (I may or may not have already asked you this, so if so, sorry!)
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also saw your post on the August board - Father Mick REALLY does not like to do Friday rehearsals for Saturday weddings.  This is simply because he knows city traffic being the worst in the summer on Fridays and people usually like some time to decompress before the big day.  He will probably recommended Wednesday or Thursday.  

We are doing ours on Thursday, which is what I wanted anyway. This allows me and the girls to get our nails done and have a nice lunch together, and the boys to play golf, on Friday.
  • edited December 2011
    Hey! Thanks for the tip!! :)

Does that mean that since he does more than one wedding per Saturday that there might be more than one rehearsal per thursday night?

ALSO! 

Are you doing anything to decorate the ends of the pews?
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's not like he WON'T do a Friday rehearsal, he just prefers not to - not just for himself, but for accommodating people who have to head into the city - it will be less busy during the week than Friday.  You can do your rehearsal any day the week leading up to the wedding, so I'm sure it's fine.  He writes it down in his schedule book so nothing will be double booked with another wedding couple.

Also, if there is more than one wedding on your day, you should find out if he is the one performing the ceremony or another priest, since he mentioned to us he'd only be doing one a week and another priest would do the rest.  

I'm not doing any decor to the church besides two alter arrangements that can be used at the reception as well.  It is an old and colourful church and it can hold its own.  I don't want to have to worry about setup or take down either.  I'm not sure what his rules are on decor, but make sure you ask him before you purchase anything!
  • edited December 2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards