Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Help picking a wedding date

I just got engaged last weekend :), and are trying to pick a date.  I definitely don't have time to get married this summer, and don't want to wait until summer 2014 (I'm also a cold-weather girl, so the idea of sweating in the summer in my wedding dress just isn't my thing!)

We are both teachers, so we are looking at December right at the beginning of our christmas break.  Saturday isn't ideal because Friday is our last day of teaching, and I've heard it's VERY difficult to get a day off right before breaks.  We are looking at Sunday the 22nd.  Do you think this would be a bad day?  We are hoping that most of our non-teaching friends will probably have the 23rd off, and pretty much all of the bridal party, family, and other invitees are from GA, so travel shouldn't be too much of an issue.  

We are looking for completely unbiased opinions to help us judge!  I know none of my friends or family would give me truth to my face about this date!
Thanks

Re: Help picking a wedding date

• Options
    Hi and congrats!

I just got engaged on Christmas day and am trying to figure out a wedding day too. 

I think your date is good.  It seems like your guests will have that weekend for the wedding and still have the week to travel elsewhere for Christmas if they want to.

If your'e planning to have a dinner reception, I'd suggest having it early since you want a Sunday wedding.  I've only been to one Sunday wedding and a number of people left during the last few hours b/c their work schedules wouldn't allow them to take Monday off.  In my area, most people dont' get the 23rd off from work so that might be an issue. 
  • Options
    I'm a teacher also. Depending on your district, it CAN be difficult to get a day off before breaks. However, for something as big as your wedding, all you should have to do is put in a request with a higher-up. Maybe speak to your principal and see what their policy is. 

I think the 22nd is cutting it awfully close to Christmas. Have you spoken with your VIPs (parents, grandparents, etc) to see how they feel about it? 

Does it have to be during an actual break?  I got married on a Saturday the weekend after Spring Break. That gave me that break time to finish up any last minute stuff, went back and taught class for 3 days (took Thurs and Fri off), and then got married on Saturday.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    My fiancé and I aren't Christian, so we don't have issues with doing things right before Christmas, but if you have guests who would have to travel far and who also celebrate Christmas, they might be unwilling to break their family traditions to come to a wedding. You also need to keep in mind the price of plane tickets around the holidays and the amounts of both weather- and volume-related delays they might experience.

• Options
    Thanks for the input so far.  I do worry a little about how close it is to Christmas, but I'm not sure if too many of the people in my wedding will have a problem with that.  They are all very close except for a few, but their family is in GA, so I am planning on talking to them and they could travel down a little earlier for the wedding and then go to their home areas.

I didn't think about the weather in other places (again, most people are Georgia, but I do have an aunt and uncle in Colorado, so that would be the only concern!)  Thank you for reminding me of that.

I would prefer it to be during the break if possible.  My Fiance is a Band director, so right before the break he has his winter concert, and when we get back he starts working on things for his performance evaluation.  Also, he comes from a divorced family, and I really dread the idea of moving around between so many different people during our first christmas.  I would love to just go on our honeymoon and spend that first one together and alone!

Do you think though that the time between christmas and new years would be a better option than the 22nd?
  • Options
    i think waiting until after christmas is a good idea. so many people are stressed out with preparing food, shopping for gifts, making travel arrangements, etc.  something right before new years might be good...or perhaps that weekend after (January 4th or 5th?). not many people will be very productive on the 2nd and 3rd....and it just seems like a fun way to start off 2014 =)
  • Options
    DH and I are both teachers. We got married an a Saturday in March.  We took off Thursday, Friday and the Monday after.  We used our personal days so no one had a problem with it.  We went on our HM 3 weeks later during spring break.  Something like this may be a better option because that's really way too close to Christmas.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Why not try having it Martin Luther King weekend. You can have a Sunday wedding and know many people have off the following day. Presidents weekend can also work. Some people may decline due to possibly having plans for the long weekend but it's an option.
  • Options
    I agree with psych819..Dec. 22 is really close to the holidays and people are going to be occupied with that. You want them to be totally paying attention to you! If you really want to do it over Christmas, the 28th-30th or after New Year's might be better.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    For our families, we have standing Christmas traditions that would make it hard to attend a wedding so close to Christmas. For family, we may try to work it out since we would all be attending a wedding, but for a friend, there's a good chance we would decline. Just our experience.
  • Options
    Got engaged for christmas and i FINALLY picked a date!! 4/4/14!!!! now i just have to find a venue i like!!!! Good luck everyone finding a date!! and congrats!!1
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards