May 2012 Weddings

When will you (or did you) cut the cake?

I'm just trying to finalize the timeline for the reception and I want to cut the cake right after dinner (we are having a seated dinner). Then we would do the first dances. Is that awkward? Should we do the first dance, then cut the cake? I don't want to wait until the end of the night for cake cutting since the cake is the only dessert.

Help is appreciated.
Thanks!

Re: When will you (or did you) cut the cake?

• We had dinner, did our shoe game, cut the cake and then had our first dance. It was perfect.
  • The only dessert we're having is cake, but we're waiting until about an hour after dinner to cut the cake. I just didn't want everyone to leave early so that's why we're waiting a little bit....super self-centered, I know lol. But I think if you wanted to cut the cake immediately after dinner that would be fine. I know I'm always antsy to eat cake at weddings.
    Married! :) 5/19/12 The Domesticals

• We had dinner, did our first dances during the dinner, then when dinner was done, they brought out the cake and we did the cake cutting. I'd say it was probably about an hour and a half after dinner started. About 8 o'clock. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_when-will-you-or-did-you-cut-the-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:aa414a9a-4702-4c04-ba43-25088fc24abbPost:c74936d9-b3b0-4c68-9658-43b6d34800b5">Re: When will you (or did you) cut the cake?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The only dessert we're having is cake, but we're waiting until about an hour after dinner to cut the cake. I just didn't want everyone to leave early so that's why we're waiting a little bit....super self-centered, I know lol. But I think if you wanted to cut the cake immediately after dinner that would be fine. I know I'm always antsy to eat cake at weddings.
    Posted by mookow86[/QUOTE]

<div>THIS! My planner suggested this as well. She said most ppl leave after cutting the cake</div>

• We're being announced, doing first dance, eating dinner, doing toast, CUTTING CAKE, dancing!
    imageAnniversary
  • Mona8Mona8 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    We're cutting the cake about 1.5 hours before the end of our reception
    imageAnniversary
  • Not at all. We had dinner, BM speech, cut the cake, and then the parent dances.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Yay! im not the only one planning this way: being introduced, first dance, dinner,toast, cutting cake, then father daughter dances etc
  • bpphoto785bpphoto785 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2012

This is our order:
    first dance
    first course
    speeches
    second course
    parent dances
    third course
    shoe game
    cake cutting
    dancing!!

We wanted as much done during dinner to keep people entertained and to ensure as much time dancing at the end as possible!

May '12 Nesties
    March Siggy Challenge: Furbaby
    MARRIED!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • we're doing the announcement and then i think we'll cut the cake so they can take it inside to get ready to serve.
  • We're doing first dances, then dinner, then cutting the cake immediately after dinner
    May 2012 Nesties March Siggy Challenge: Furbabies imageimageAnniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_when-will-you-or-did-you-cut-the-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:aa414a9a-4702-4c04-ba43-25088fc24abbPost:0cfa02e1-1a04-4fa8-8c9d-d1690ed68109">Re: When will you (or did you) cut the cake?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're being announced, doing first dance, eating dinner, doing toast, CUTTING CAKE, dancing!
    Posted by evenundomiel[/QUOTE]

This is what we are doing
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_when-will-you-or-did-you-cut-the-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:aa414a9a-4702-4c04-ba43-25088fc24abbPost:198ed9bf-bc3d-459a-806c-faaeb281d2dc">Re: When will you (or did you) cut the cake?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: When will you (or did you) cut the cake? : THIS! My planner suggested this as well. She said most ppl leave after cutting the cake
    Posted by MsAmeera25[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>This is actually why our planner suggested not cutting the cake til later.. people, especially older people, sometimes leave after cutting the cake.. our reception is until 11 and we aren't cutting the cake until 9:30. Not that I think most people at our wedding will leave until the end (we are only have 110 people, so its basically our immediate family and best friends, and we will probably have to kick them out haha), but I was a little afraid to cut too early and then have a half empty reception for the last few hours :) </div>
  • I should have included this, here is our order:

Intros
    First Dance
    Welcome toast/speeches while people eat their salad
    Dinner
    Toward the end of dinner we are hitting the dance floor with our parents for our Father/Daughter & Mother/Son dances
    1st Dance set!
    Cake cutting
    Bouquet toss
    More dancing/dessert eating

We decided to do it this way because I love weddings where they don't make you wait too long to get the party started :) 
  • We're doing it after dinner. Our order is like this:

entrance
    first dance
    welcome speech during first course
    best man toast
    main entree
    table greeting
    cake cutting
    dancing, dessert, etc
    Anniversary Follow Me on Pinterest
  • We are doing dinner, then toasts, then cake cutting, then first dance and dancing
  • We did first dance, dinner, parents dance, some open dancing and then toast/cake cutting.  It actually ended up being about 2 hours after we started dinner service so, it flowed really well.  And only a handful of guests had left before we cut the cake.  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards