African American Weddings

Press & Curl - Natural Hair Ladies

I am now 100% natural having started my transtion in Dec. 2009.  I really miss my straight styles and am now considering the press & curl.  However, I Zumba 3 to 4 times a week so for me straight styles right now is probably out of the question. 
Still I have  few questions:

1.  How long have you been pressing & curling?

2.  Have you experienced any heat damage at all?

3.  Do you press & curl yourself or go to a salon?  If you go to a salon, how much do you pay for the service?

4.  How long does your press & curl last?

5.  If you exercise, how well does your press & curl hold up?

6.  DC/MD/VA ladies - what salon do you recommend for a press & curl?  

TIA!

Love is the ultimate superpower.   
It can make you weak and strong simultaneously.  

Re: Press & Curl - Natural Hair Ladies

• i really think it depends on your hair the answer to all those questions. I do not perm my hair and havent had one since i was 9. All i do is press it i do have some heat dammage not that i can notice im just sure there is i oil my hair daily so i really cant tell. When it comes to sweating my hair does not hold at all when its summer i braid my hair because the minutes i sweat my press is gone 
    image 99 Made the cut image 76 Are ready to party!
    image 23 Will be missing out YAYAYAY image 0 Need to find the mailbox because if they didn't already they no longer can come The RSVP deadline has passed this is the final count Wedding Countdown Ticker image CLick and check out My blog From Ms. To Mrs.
  • 1. How long have you been pressing & curling? Since I was 14

2. Have you experienced any heat damage at all? Yes, I use Pantene for damaged hair, and that does a pretty good job. When it gets really bad, I just wear it natural for a few weeks.

3. Do you press & curl yourself or go to a salon? If you go to a salon, how much do you pay for the service? I usually do it myself, but if I go to a salon it's about $45-55 for wash and press

4. How long does your press & curl last? I do it almost everyday becuase I don't wrap my hair at night (I know, I'm lazy)

5. If you exercise, how well does your press & curl hold up? I pur it in a ponytail, so it holds up pretty well.
  • chescamchescam member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2012
    1.  How long have you been pressing & curling?
    The last time  I pressed my hair with a hot comb was about  2 years ago. It took over 2 weeks for my curls to return after washing it. Afer that just a regular flat iron was needed.

Yes, my hair experineced the most heat damage with the hot comb. 

3.  Do you press & curl yourself or go to a salon?  If you go to a salon, how much do you pay for the service?
    I do my hair sometimes. But when  I want to wear it down and not in a pony I go to a salon. It's very humid in Florida now and I haven't straightened my hair for the year yet. I've found a really good stylist that will do it for about $45.

1.5 weeks to 2 weeks but it's usually in a ponytail after the first week.

not very long, about 4 days but using TIGI Bedhead (hair stick for cool people) to slick my edges down is a must have if working out. When working out I wear it in a high pony that way the ends don't revert. 

Recent curly hair

Flat ironed hair about a year and half ago. I don't straighten my hair much.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Thanks ladies! 

@chescam - Your hair looks great!   What do you use to moisturize your curls?  They look very hydrated. 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_press-curl-natural-hair-ladies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:f44de531-3abb-4d9e-93eb-ab9dbe8df808Post:b4d2254f-7d34-4c2b-b744-e5210988eeb8">Re: Press & Curl - Natural Hair Ladies</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks ladies!  @chescam - Your hair looks great!   What do you use to moisturize your curls?  They look very hydrated. 
    Posted by island07b2b[/QUOTE]

<div>Thank you. I use qhemet biologics amla and olive heavy cream to moisturize. For the look above, I did a wash and go leaving some conditioner in my hair and moisturized with qhemet's AOHC then tamed it down with I.C fantasia gel (this gives it  a soft hold). </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • This is a great thread!!  I've been working out alot and the part of my weave that is out is not happy, but I think I've found some good oils to moisturize with, being in CO that is a MUST!!!

I'm currently transitioning (8 months since my last relaxer) and worried about how I will wear my hair once it's fully natural.
  • edited February 2012
    1.  How long have you been pressing & curling? Almost 7 years

2.  Have you experienced any heat damage at all? No, not really

3.  Do you press & curl yourself or go to a salon?  If you go to a salon, how much do you pay for the service? I am lazy and my hair is very thick so I get it done at the salon 95% of the time.  For a wash and blow dry, i believe that it may be between $50-$65 on average

4.  How long does your press & curl last? About 1 week, actually only a few days if I work out.

5.  If you exercise, how well does your press & curl hold up? It doesn't.  my edges curl up and it's usually in a ponytail after that

6.  DC/MD/VA ladies - what salon do you recommend for a press & curl?   Cole Stevens Spa and Salon is the best.  They have a location in Greenbelt,MD and one in DC, check them out.  They specialize in healthy natural hair.  I've never seen anyone get a perm and I've been going there faithfully for 1.5 years
  • 1.  How long have you been pressing & curling?  All my life, I've never had a relaxer.

2.  Have you experienced any heat damage at all?  Not at all

3.  Do you press & curl yourself or go to a salon?  If you go to a salon, how much do you pay for the service? I can press my hair myself but it's just too much work for my arms, LOL.   I go to a salon and pay about $45 in the Memphis area.

4.  How long does your press & curl last?  My hair lasts really until the next time I get it done .  But usually I get my hair done every 2 weeks.

5.  If you exercise, how well does your press & curl hold up?  I haven't been exercising like I should but my hair holds up fine when I do.  I just put it in a ponytail and put a scarf around it.

6.  DC/MD/VA ladies - what salon do you recommend for a press & curl? Sorry hun, I'm in Memphis, TN.

Me and Bae in the Bahamas, Wash and Go

Me at work today.  I just got my hair flat ironed with a Chi flat iron this past Thursday and I got a dark brown rinse put on my hair b/c I was tired of the blonde.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • 1.  How long have you been pressing & curling?
    Ever since I was old enough to sit still-about 5

No, probably because I rarely press my hair myself. And When I do, I use low heat.

I go to the salon.  Out in Cali, its about 60 for a press and curl.  I try not to press my hair myself but I will touch it up if necessary.

About a week and half.  It starts to look greasy and then there is no body to it.  My hair wont flow or move it is just stuck to my head.  I dont put any grease or oil in my hair.

The only place i sweat is in my head.  So it wont really hold up-however, i love ponytails so when that happens, I swoop it up to my favorite ponytail. lol

6.  DC/MD/VA ladies - what salon do you recommend for a press & curl?
    Sorry-I am no help here.   
  • You ladies should Google Black Girl Long Hair. It's a great blog for natural hair. They talk about how to prevent heat damage, great poducts to use, etc. I'm naturally curly myself and I love reading tips and tricks for keeping my  hair healthy.
  • MrsSmith2Be02MrsSmith2Be02 member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012
    1.  How long have you been pressing & curling?  Since Feb 2009

2.  Have you experienced any heat damage at all?  None at all!

3.  Do you press & curl yourself or go to a salon?  If you go to a salon, how much do you pay for the service?  I go to a salon. For wash, hydration, press, and silk $55

4.  How long does your press & curl last?  Depends on if I work out and how much. I'm not a hair person, so my styles don't last that long anyway, BUT my hair is trained to be straight. I can go a week with straight edges though.

5.  If you exercise, how well does your press & curl hold up?  4-5 days. I've been working out about 4 days a week.

6.  DC/MD/VA ladies - what salon do you recommend for a press & curl? I used to live in the DMV and left in 2010.  My LS's went to Shear Movement off U Street and I went to a girl named Kim who worked in the shop at Spirit of Faith Christian Center's hair salon (can't remember the name). I'll PM you her info. She was EXCELLENT!  
    image180 Made the cut!
    image 129 Ready to drop it like its HOT!
    image 7 Found something else to do
    image 44 Are just plain RUDE!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Follow Me on Pinterest November 2012 - October Siggy Challenge image
  • Thank you all for your responses.  Many of you have been at this for quite some time I see. 

@chescam -  I have the Qhemet product you use.  I love that stuff but maybe I am not using it correctly.  My hair still remains  on the dry side.  I probably need to try a mix of products similar to what you mentioned.

@Jana711 - Thanks for the referral.  I will have to check them out. 

@ejagers - Your hair is gorgeous too!  I love the color. 

@MrsSmith2Be02 - I also appreciate your referral.  I will look for your PM. 

• 1.  How long have you been pressing & curling?
    I've been natural about 6 years and I press and curl 3-4x a year

Yes, 3x and I'm currently experiencing it right now. Heat damage almost doesn't matter if you intend to keep your hair naturally straight. However, for me, it makes a huge difference as I like to maintain curly styles more than straight and if you have heat damage, your hair won't revert back to the curls.

I always go to the salon. Although I like to do most things myself, straightening my own hair has never worked out for me. I generally pay around $45.

It will usually last about 10 days before it starts reverting on it's own without water/moisture.

I do exercise, but I generally don't when I get a press & curl. If I did, it would only last about 4 - 5 days.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards