July 2013 Weddings
Options

friday fun question

Hi ladies.. I was wondering how many of us are throwing our own bridal showers. One of my bridesmaids from nj said they're supposed to be a surprise, but everyone I've polled said you should be part of the planning, buying gufts, etc.. I've been to 3 showers ever, 2 were a surprise (in NJ) and 1 wasn't (here in PA).
I've never had a surprise anything in my life so I think its my turn to be selfish and say It'd be a nice to have.
I'm starting to wonder if it's just a difference in state/ area .... what are you ladies doing??
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: friday fun question

• Options
    i dont like surprises.  so id rather help plan or at least give a list of who i want there.  i dont think im having a shower. 
  • Options
    I'm not going to have a shower.  The wedding guests are pretty spread out, so it would be tough to get everyone together.  Additionally, I'm a college student, and so are most of my friends. We couldn't afford brand name dish soap, let alone a lot of extras.  Knowing that, I would feel rude having a shower, because, ya know, they already get you a wedding gift! If I were five years older, I would probably have one, but I think that will be something I have to pass up. 
  • Options
    I'm not even sure if I am having a bridal shower. We live in a different state from all our friends and family. It wouldn't be that far of a drive (two hours,) but it's not one we can afford to take most of the time.

I'm not planning anything. If I get a surprise party I will be extremely excited and thankful.
    July 2013 March Siggy Challenge: Accessories photo _7466333.jpg Daisypath Wedding tickers Daisypath Vacation tickers LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    I'm not having one either... we're having an engagement dinner with our close families next month, and then i'm definitely having a bachelorette / and a bachelor party for him... but I'm in your boat, Gabrielle, it wouldn't be appropriate to throw myself a shower in my social circle.

That being said, ettiquete board would insist you never throw your own shower... I say it's up to you! If you have something perfect in mind, go for it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure etiquette-wise, you're not supposed to throw your own shower... it's a party that's thrown in your honor with "expectation" of receiving gifts. So, if you throw your own, it seems kind of gift grabby.

But with that said, I don't think it's a big deal if you take a minor role in helping plan it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    edited June 2012
    I do plan on being part of it sonewhat. I only have 2 attendants so in no way am I expecting anything large. I do know however that my bridesmaid does want to do "something"...I'd be thankful and grateful for anything.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I have no idea if I'll be having a shower or not. it's still too far away to know!

I'd definitely prefer it not be a surprise, but I didn't think the bride was usually part of the planning process (beyond maybe providing a guest list) either. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • Options
    Etiquette-wise throwing your own party/shower is a no-no, because it seems gift grabby.  If someone was going to throw one for me/us though, I'd want to have a say in the guest list (because people invited to pre-wedding parties are supposed to be invited to the wedding as well).  I would be willing to put in input if asked, but I wouldn't expect to do a major part of the planning myself (defeats the purpose of someone throwing the party for you!)
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • Options
    keyaira04keyaira04 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited June 2012
    Well, the truth is I did not know until joining TK that you are not suppose to plan the shower. At one point, I was planning, budgeting, and paying for it, as I thought it was my role. I just assigned a MOH to help. A few months later and a little TK wiser, I know now that I am not suppose to plan it. I had no idea it was a gift to the bride! However, having much of the pre-planning done already, my Matron OH is hosting it and has adopted much of what I planned. Now, I am just helping with getting her the guest list, etc.  She has taken over the costs and will start officially planning in Jan. 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers LilySlim Fitness goals tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards