Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Garter toss procedure

I was wondering what exactly happens to the garter itself after the toss? Does the guy who catches it keep it? My Fi and I were discussing who gets to keep it, and he said its weird if some single guy gets to hold onto something that was wrapped around the leg of a married woman.

Re: Garter toss procedure

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_garter-toss-procedure?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:c741920d-3026-4bd6-862c-09f6130d5202Post:e1981095-9ea2-4e40-8b80-ec06bea17cb7">Garter toss procedure</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was wondering what exactly happens to the garter itself after the toss? Does the guy who catches it keep it? My Fi and I were discussing who gets to keep it, and <strong>he said its weird if some single guy gets to hold onto something that was wrapped around the leg of a married woman.
    </strong>Posted by CowgirlK39[/QUOTE]

But I mean that's the tradition; that's what it's about. If you think it's weird I guess I don't see how it can also be fun?
    Lizzie
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_garter-toss-procedure?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:c741920d-3026-4bd6-862c-09f6130d5202Post:633b3236-7392-4550-8f1d-dae4ca1d9876">Re: Garter toss procedure</a>:
    [QUOTE]A lot of times they sell garters in sets.  The bigger fancy one is for you to keep, and you toss the smaller simpler one. Whoever catches it keeps it.
    Posted by Grits8812[/QUOTE]

I just got mine in the mail from David's Bridal, and wondered why there were two and which one we were supposed to toss. Thanks!
    Anniversary
  • Hasn't this tradition died yet?  Ugh.
  • They send two out like previously stated. Now I have been to weddings where they don't get the single guys on the dance floor to catch it, they auction it off or raffle it off. I can't remember when the last I saw the single men in a group waiting to catch it. It has become a money maker.

• Yes, the man who catches it keeps it. Usually brides wear a tossing garter, and a fancier one that they give to their husband after the wedding. Personally, and I am not making judgements on others by any means, there is no way I'm tossing any article of underwear, even a garter, into a room full of single men, half of which (statistically) I am related to. We are doing a cake pull instead of tossing garters and bouqets. We haven't decided if we will invite the men up for the cake pull as well. If we do, we will use one color of ribbon for the girls and another for the guys, so that one of each gender can pull out a ring (the next to marry). Here's a - not so great - video of a cake pull. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKH9N3MVE24
    We will be using a separate cake for our cake pull, instead of a grooms cake, so that we do not destroy our wedding cake before the cake cutting.
  • I have always seen 2 garters & the bride keeps one on her leg & the groom tosses the second "smaller" one. Same thing with the bouquet. You have a smaller version of your own (your toss bouquet) & you throw that. I am still on the fence about the whole garter thing because I don't quite want my man going up my dress in front of our children. If we do do the tosses, I will probably just take off the toss one myself @some point in the night & give it to him to toss.
  • I have to admit that I am/was on the fence about the garter toss. However, my best friend put the toss garter right above her knee, so that when it came time for her husband to pull off the garter it wasn't like awkwardly getting lost (or taking too long - purposely or not) to get the garter. It was sweet and simple.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards