Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Jewish Irish Wedding

My FI and I are having our wedding ceremony on Halloween and I wrote the whole ceremony it is being performed by one of our friends. I wanted to add something from both of our backgrounds do any of you have any ideas for a non traditional and non religious wedding (we found that it is only better that we not include religion as to not offend anyone.)

Re: Jewish Irish Wedding

• Options

Yes sorry for the confusion.  I didn’t make myself clear. I thought about that after I made my post.  Yes it is only a wedding based on culture rather than religion.

• Options

Work in that Halloween was a Druid celebration.

Just curious though - why would it offend anyone to incorporate religious traditions?

AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    But you're already married, right?  If it's a convalidation to have the ceremony recognized by the Catholic church, I really don't think they'd be okay with incorporating elements and traditions from other religions, whereas they probably would have worked with you for the wedding.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    I can help with the Irish traditions. We are incorporating Irish traditions into our wedding. 

One is that we are doing a handfasting, which started in Scotland but eventually spread to Ireland also. It has evolved into a Pagan tradition, but we aren't Pagan. We are doing a shortened version of the ritual, which will really have no religious connotations. Basically, during the wedding (normally towards the end) the couple connect their hands in a figure eight (the eternity symbol), and the couples wrists are bound together with ribbon or cord why says vows to each other. There is a lot of information out there if you Google handfasting. There is a long history.

The second is for the bride to carry a sprig of lavender down the aisle. If I do this one, I am just going to wear a bit in my hair.

Also try this website. I found a ton of information here.

Good luck!
    Malcolm AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_jewish-irish-catholic-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:9d3f3d70-ad22-4d34-b854-8f77fbd59b8ePost:22f51d62-9d36-41d0-bae8-386a8c052fef">Re: Jewish Irish Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE] I thought that you could only break the glass at a religious ceremony?
    Posted by Brooklclark[/QUOTE]

Nope -- you can break the glass at any ceremony, whether it's religious or not. My ex- broke the glass at my first wedding and DH and I both broke the glass when we got married -- neither of my weddings was religious. Depending on what you want to do, as 2ndtimebride posted, you can also have:

- chuppah
    - ketubah
    - both parents walk bride down the aisle, both parents walk groom down the aisle
    - both sets of parents stand up with the couple during the ceremony
    - a hora at the reception

The ketubah IS a religious document, but you can also have one made that's symbolic rather than religious (and a piece of art to keep in the house). The others are all cultural traditions that are typically seen at a Jewish wedding.
  • Options

do you know where can I find a “secular” katubah?

• Options
    Hi there,

There are many Irish traditions you can incorporate into your ceremony which are viewed as non-secular. In fact, many of them derived from pagan traditions originally. There is the handfasting ceremony, as mentioned by SEWF. Another beautiful one is the unity candle ceremony. The use of the Irish wedding bell is another one. You can also incorporate non-religious Irish poems, music, toasts and vows. For more information pleas see http://www.irishwedding4u.com where you will also find an interview with a wedding officiant who discusses weddings with couples from different cultural backgrounds and how this works in practice.

Best wishes,
    Emer
    Emer O'Leary Irish Wedding Secrets http://www.irishwedding4u.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards