Honeymoon Discussions

Honeymoon Fundraisers??

We are getting married next June, and trying to think how we can afford the wedding AND a honeymoon.
 I was looking for way to help a friend raise money for vet bills to take care of a puppy she found by the roadside, when I saw that people are now doing fundraisers for their honeymoons and even weddings. News to me!
So, is it tacky to set up a fundraiser for the honeymoon? What is the etiquette with regards to that? I was wondering if it's an alternate, and still classy, option to buying a gift from the registry. I'd appreciate any guidelines I can get! 

Re: Honeymoon Fundraisers??

• hz80408hz80408 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker

Tacky.  People should plan weddings and honeymoons they can afford; not take up a charity for themselves.

• A fundraiser is not tacky when you are trying to raise money to be able to allow a friend to receive a kidney transplant or if a family of young children lost their parents in a car accident. A fundraiser is tacky when you ask for money for a vacation or for a wedding, which is not mandatory to get by on a day to day basis and something that many people do not get to enjoy during their lives- EVER.

• Holy lord, no.  NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeymoon-fundraisers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:58ae7938-3a71-4878-9ba2-dc0d941886bePost:ff70c6e7-bbbb-4ac2-9067-86b258784136">Re: Honeymoon Fundraisers??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Tacky.  People should plan weddings and honeymoons they can afford; not take up a charity for themselves.
    Posted by hz80408[/QUOTE]

<div>Thank you!</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeymoon-fundraisers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:58ae7938-3a71-4878-9ba2-dc0d941886bePost:2a90c2aa-27d7-4c30-bfd5-a35b9617a0b9">Re: Honeymoon Fundraisers??</a>:
    [QUOTE]A fundraiser is not tacky when you are trying to raise money to be able to allow a friend to receive a kidney transplant or if a family of young children lost their parents in a car accident. A fundraiser is tacky when you ask for money for a vacation or for a wedding, which is not mandatory to get by on a day to day basis and something that many people do not get to enjoy during their lives- EVER.
    Posted by Jells2dot0[/QUOTE]

<div>Thank you!</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeymoon-fundraisers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:58ae7938-3a71-4878-9ba2-dc0d941886bePost:c3d4630b-8fa7-476a-85db-d4a1216e90a6">Re: Honeymoon Fundraisers??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Holy lord, no.  NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
    Posted by Joy2611[/QUOTE]

<div>lol... thank you! </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeymoon-fundraisers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:58ae7938-3a71-4878-9ba2-dc0d941886bePost:4d99e4a6-0958-43c7-afde-c869096e4d5c">Re: Honeymoon Fundraisers??</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree - tacky.
    Posted by cwaggoner07[/QUOTE]

<div>Thanks!</div>
  • MNVegasMNVegas member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    What a DISGUSTING idea!  

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeymoon-fundraisers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:58ae7938-3a71-4878-9ba2-dc0d941886bePost:c3d4630b-8fa7-476a-85db-d4a1216e90a6">Re: Honeymoon Fundraisers??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Holy lord, no.  NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
    Posted by Joy2611[/QUOTE]

This.  A hundred thousand times.  This.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Tacky with a capital "T." You should only plan the vacation/honeymoon you can afford on your own. No one else should have to raise money to fund it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • I'm going to add another vote for tacky.  PP have explained the reasons why.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeymoon-fundraisers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:58ae7938-3a71-4878-9ba2-dc0d941886bePost:38150dd3-ecc1-4a92-8cdf-a7ca7085d367">Re: Honeymoon Fundraisers??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are you a charity?
    Posted by 1covejack[/QUOTE]

This! I have never heard of anything like this being done, but if I came across it I would be disgusted! Plan the wedding / honeymoon you can afford..
    image 220 Are ready to party!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree with PP. Totally tacky. As someone who loves to travel you plan something you can afford.
    Cappadocia, Turkey
    June 2012 March Siggy Challenge: Honeymoon location
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    image 215 Invited so far!
    image 160 Are ready to party!
    image 30 Will be missing out!
    image 25 Are MIA!
  • Tacky.  However, I hear that you can put cetain honeymoon activities on your registry in lieu of a physical gift people can send you snorkling or whatnot.
  • really? REALLY?!

helping with an abandoned dog's vet's bills is one thing.  paying for your vacation is another. holy god in heaven-now i really have heard it all.

if you cant pay for a vacation you dont get one. and please dont embarass yourselves by doing anything even remotely resembling a fundraiser for it.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeymoon-fundraisers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:58ae7938-3a71-4878-9ba2-dc0d941886bePost:ff70c6e7-bbbb-4ac2-9067-86b258784136">Re: Honeymoon Fundraisers??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Tacky.  People should plan weddings and honeymoons they can afford; not take up a charity for themselves.
    Posted by hz80408[/QUOTE]

agree with this
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    Host a wedding and plan a honeymoon you and your fiance can afford.  Fundraising for a honeymoon is very tacky!
  • Haha. This is a little ridiculous. I don't have an issue but having a honeymoon fundraiser is super tacky. I agree with others. Plan a wedding and honeymoon you can afford.

• There are websites like honeyfund.com that is a registry to help you pay to do fun things on a your honeymoon. I'm not doing a fundraiser but instead of registering or asking for gifts, my fiance and I are just asking for donations towards our honeymoon. We have beening living together for a long time and dont need anything newlyweds typicaly need. Also we are paying for everything ourselves (wedding & honeymoon) so it is always nice to have the extra spending money on any trip. Hope this helps because all the other comments didnt give you much of an alternative except calling a fundraiser tacky.... Undecided
  • Actually it is not tacky if your a hard working American, that wants to give your wife the wedding she always has dreamed of. Whats tacky are the people that slam another persons ideas. Its a great idea to start a fund raiser of some sort, if people dont want to donate then they can turn a cheek and just say no. There are however plenty of people that would be willing to help out hard working individuals who work 40 hours a week and barely get by on 8.50 an hour because the economy totally took a dump on them. So for all you "tacky nasayers" out there , just keep quiet, because obviously you have money and funded yourself a nice honeymoon. Go for it and to a fund raiser or sell items even to get extra money. Ask family and friends for monetary help rather than a gift. Its not tacky , so those who say it is, can hush! :)
  • I agree with the Minority here.   I think it depends on your circumstances.  It is not always possible to "plan the wedding/honeymoom you can afford"  If you are both hard working people paying for everything yourselves I do not think it is tacky at all to ask for help.  Traditionally when a couple was getting married the brides parents paid for the wedding and the grooms parents paid for the honeymoon.  Now a lot of couples find themselves paying for everything so asking for help should not be judged.  I agree if some guests prefer not to help then so be it. 

My fiance and I have lived together for 6 years and are getting married in October.  We are paying for everything ourselves. We both work full time (I have two jobs and go to school).  We were orginally planning to take a cruise for the honeymoon.  We decided to spend a little more on the wedding and changed our honeymoon plans to a couple of days out of town somewhere instead and plan to take the cruise for our first anniversary.  We are payng for both trips ourselves but intend to ask guests for the Activities on the cruise next year instead of gifts.

• @hiskitty74 this thread is from a year and a half ago.

And it does NOT depend on your circumstances. It is no one's responsiblity, but the B&G, to pay for their sex-fest. If you can't afford to take a HM.... tough. Save up money to take a trip on your 1, 5, or 25th anniversary.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I realize this is a zombie, but I felt like this was the right place to vent. I've come across a few things on here and in my personal life that have caused me to just shake my head. What has happened to personal accountability and having to be responsible for the decisions you make? Hiskitty- you chose to spend more on your wedding. So guess what? That means something else has to be cut if you are working within a budget. And really- you chose to have a wedding!!! Some people just pay the $70-$80 and get married at the courthouse!!! This is why credit card companies do so well. People just want to have their cake and eat it too! Not everyone can have everything they need or want, and not everything is a right. Especially a honeymoon or a wedding! It's certainly a privilege.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards