Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Petit fours

What are those you ask?  well their are cute little individual cakes (approx 1" squared) that are covered in a royal like icing.  Sweet yes, adorable, yes.  and am I crazy, heck yeah LOL

I am making these little babies myself, only need about 5 dozen and the  will have a little 6" topper cake for me and the man to cut into and save for our 1 yr.

I maybe crazy but that's how I roll.

Anyone else making their own cake or having a non-traditional cake?

Re: Petit fours

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_petit-fours?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:1f672042-7391-4a91-ad7d-87283c1abb80Post:3b8ff8f9-d0bb-4714-9222-49b35166ac5b">Re:Petit fours</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'd make sure you have enough for each guest to have multiples. Petit fours are smaller than cupcakes or a piece of cake, so I'd plan at least two per guest.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

Pssshhh, I'd pack away 4 of those babies. They're like bite sized! Especially if there are multiple flavors.

OP, instead of desert, I think petit fours would make a good favor. I'd also add more substantial things, though, like maybe a dessert bar? Ice cream bar? A variety of cookies?
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_petit-fours?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:1f672042-7391-4a91-ad7d-87283c1abb80Post:57c77d94-3855-4100-a8e0-502b55fb5858">Petit fours</a>:
    [QUOTE]What are those you ask?  well their are cute little individual cakes (approx 1" squared) that are covered in a royal like icing.  Sweet yes, adorable, yes.  and am I crazy, heck yeah LOL I am making these little babies myself, only need about 5 dozen and the  will have a little 6" topper cake for me and the man to cut into and save for our 1 yr. I maybe crazy but that's how I roll. Anyone else making their own cake or having a non-traditional cake?
    Posted by netypooh72[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a really cool idea -- they are so cute,  and a nice alternative to cupcakes, IMO: no sticky fingers or wrappers lying around.

They are smaller, though, as PP said, so I'd plan on several per guest, especially if you have different flavors.  Would love to see pics when you do them!
  • Options
    Heck, I could eat 8 of them without blinking, LOL.

I agree, if that is your only dessert, plan on a minimum of 4 per person, and maybe something else.
  • Options
    Personally I'm not a fan as all the ones I've ever had have been WAY too sweet but as they are only a couple of bites each I would make at least 4-6 per person.
  • Options
    I've been to a party where the petit fours were AMAZING and I would bet money me and a girlfriend ate NO LESS than 10 a piece lol. There were sooo many flavors and tasted sooo good. It might have been over indulging but damn they were good. A wedding might be different, tho, most people don't act like they're at a buffet when they're at a wedding :) Just plan on making way more than you need. It would have ruined my night if they ran out haha!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards