North Carolina-Outer Banks

Hatteras Island Bride! Are there any others?

Hi!

I'm getting married May 19, 2011! We have already reserved a beach house and I'm super super excited! I'm hoping to connect with some other Hatteras brides so we can share ideas, offer suggestions, and just have someone to chat with if any questions should arise!

Smile

Re: Hatteras Island Bride! Are there any others?

• edited December 2011
    I'm getting married May 20th in Frisco!!!  Yes...a  month away :).  Let me know if you need any help.
  • MandyP86MandyP86 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Oooh so exciting!! Is Frisco close to Waves? Will you be having yours at a beach home? If so what caterer have you chosen?

• hibiscus118hibiscus118 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_hatteras-island-bride-there-others?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:598Discussion:22eb9269-a784-4455-a2da-9b27182c8562Post:df5fb4e4-469d-47c2-8898-8c3e29950f70">Hatteras Island Bride! Are there any others?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi! I'm getting married May 19, 2011! We have already reserved a beach house and I'm super super excited! I'm hoping to connect with some other Hatteras brides so we can share ideas, offer suggestions, and just have someone to chat with if any questions should arise!
    Posted by MandyP86[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I'm getting married in Hatteras on Septemeber 7th, 2010.   We rented a house also and are going to have the ceremony on the beach (if the weather cooperates!) and the reception in the house afterwards.  We're also doing the reheasal there, but we're calling it a "welcome bbq" and all of our guests are invited.  Let me know if you need help with anything. 

</div>
    Laura & Dusty - September 7th, 2010!
    Hatteras, North Carolina
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    UPDATED 11/05/10 Lots of Wedding PICS!
    UPDATED 07/28/10 My Planning Bio Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    We are having our reception at The Love Boat in Frisco.  It's about 15 min south of Waves.  We are using Catering Company of HAtteras Island and they have been AMAZING!!!! I would highly reccomend them, plus their prices are really good.

We are getting married in the church, having cocktail hour around the pool, then having dinner and dancing under the tent on the back lawn.  We are doing a welcome dinner the night before that everyone is invited to, and we are doing a big brunch the day after. 

Everything is all planned so if you have any questions, let me know!
    edited December 2011
    Frisco is actually about 40-45 minutes south of Waves :)  Still not far though!

Wow Cristina, less then a month to go..  I bet you're getting excited!  Do you have a lot of stuff still left to do?
    Hatteras, North Carolina
  • edited December 2011

Is Waves that far up the island?  Didn't realize that!

Yep, getting close, I have a lot left to do, but at this point what doesn't get done beyond a few important things (place cards, table numbers) i'm not stressing about.  Although I'm still in denial that we are leaving so soon!!!

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Love Boat, very nice! I looked at that one online and it looks absolutley amazing!!

How many guests are you ladies having? I'm looking at about only 12 (my family only).. Unfortunatley my FI doesn't talk to his.

I've been doing some research on caterers and the ones I've come across don't seem to offer what I'm looking for.. I wan a casual dinner, backyard BBQ style, and seafood (crab legs, clams, etc..)

Another thing, we would like to invite a few *close* friends, but they will not be invited to stay at the beach house.. How would I tell them they would have to find their own accomodations? Is that rude? I feel like I would be ignorant by telling them that..

I'm so excited there are now two Hatteras brides I can chat with! Yay!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hibiscus- I am having my ceremony on the beach as well.. How are you doing yours? Will it be on the beach right at the house? Are you having music for the ceremony?
    edited December 2011
    Cristina - I'm sure you'll get done what you need to get done and everything will be perfect.  You leave 4 or 5 days before the wedding right?  I'm stressing that we leave on a Sunday and the wedding is on Tuesday and theres so much to do.  

Mandy -  We rented the house "here comes the sun" through Hatteras Realty.  Which one have you rented?  We've invited about 90 people and we have the bridal party plus my mom and her cousin staying with us in the house.  So far we have 35-40 coming.  My FI parents rented a house down the street and my dad also rented a house in Frisco.  So far everyone that is coming is staying in those houses.  When we sent the save the dates to people we gave them some hotel and rental info included in the packet.  Maybe you could make something like that for your friends and they would get the hint?  

As far as the catering I'm not to much help because my dad's friends are caterers on the side and they offered to do our wedding and rehearsal dinner.  Kylie from Outback Kitchen in Avon is doing my cake though and she does catering and if I remember right she does bbq type food as well as many other things.  

We are doing the ceremony right on the beach in front of the house.  We're using tiki torches as the alter and have some seating but some will have to stand.  I'm not really sure about music yet.  Its just not in our budget to hire someone so we would Ipod it if we did have it.  I'm really thinking the sound of the ocean is all I want though so I think thats what we may do.  
    Hatteras, North Carolina
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Laura- We rented through Outer Beaches Realty, it's #693. Since my wedding will be so small I didn't have to rent an actual event home, so that saved the $1000 fee! I was super happy about that!

I will have to try to contact Outback Kitchen, I had emailed them a few weeks ago but never heard anything back!

Our ceremony is on the beach as well! I don't think we are going to have seating or any decorations. I would like to make an "isle" from small pieces of driftwood, larger shells, and larger starfish.. Then make a heart shape where the FI and I will be standing, I saw it on some website and it looked soooo nice! I was thinking about having music during the ceremony but like you said the noise of the waves will probably be perfect!

For the reception I'm making playlists on my iPod and we will just have that, bonus money saver! Yea!

edited December 2011
    That house looks great!  We're doing an ipod reception also.  If we do have music during the ceremony I think it will only be for when I walk in and I'll probably download some steel drum music and use that.  During the vows the waves will be our background.  I keep going back and forth and it will probably be a last minute decision.  
    Hatteras, North Carolina
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Steel drum music is such a great idea! Love it! Have you figured out how the music will be controlled during the ceremony? Who will turn it on and off?

edited December 2011
    Yea I would LOVE to have a steel drum player for the ceremony, but there are not any local to the island and the closest one I could find is in Virginia.  For one hour it was something like 4-500 dollars because of travel fees.  So we opted not to do that and if we do decide to have a song or two we'll do steel drum ones.  I have a 16 year old cousin that I think would probably be a good candidate for turning the music on :) lol
    Hatteras, North Carolina
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That is quite the outrageous price! Have you decided how you will decorate the house for the reception?
    edited December 2011
    For the rehearsal/welcome dinner we are going to have a poolside party with bbq type foods.  Probably just luau type decorations.  I went to the dollar store a couple weeks ago and bought a whole bunch of pool toys and decorations for that.  

For the wedding reception we're planning on having the food/cake upstairs in the main living room.  I will let the caterers set up the food how they want.  Its going to be buffet style.  They are making MD crabcakes, marinated shrimp, beef tenderloin and a bunch of side dishes.   We're taking down 3 or 4 tables and putting linen tablecloths on them so there will be some seating.  But the tables will probably go on the outside deck.  I'm not doing assigned seating so wherever you can find a place.  I bought glass centerpieces at the dollar store but still not sure what we're putting in them.  It will be pretty casual.  

Hatteras, North Carolina
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Quick question.. Does anyone know of a rental place that will rent a few tables and chairs?

• LRPardyLRPardy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey there,

Just got back from OBX last week and can help a little.

Rental place: Ocean Atlantic Rentals (there's another I saw in a magazine- will check when I get home and give you their name, but I know Ocean Atlantic is on HI)

As a non-wedding recommendation, we stayed in Salvo and had breakfast as this great little place that has wi-fi called Atlantic Coast Cafe.  They have great food, coffee and tea and they are a nice independent little place.

The wedding guides that are available through the tourism boards are really great - there are actually two.

I said this in another post, but if you can get down there to meet your vendors in person, it is a really great experience.  I feel so much better having had face to face encounters with my officiant/cakemaker, florist, caterer and ceremony site co-oridnator.

OH and big learning point I got last week - BRING KITCHEN TOWELS AND CLOTHS AS NO ONE PROVIDES THEM!!!  There is a dollar store in Avon, and the Food Lion there is quite reasonable.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to contact me and I will help with any information I have access to.

Happy planning!!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    LR- Thank you sooooo much for the recommendation for Ocean Atlantic Rentals!! They have exactly what I'll need and the price is a lot less then I was expecting! Thanks again! :-)
  • LRPardyLRPardy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You're welcome.  Just came back on to share Metro Rentals too.  I am using Ocean Atlantic for my dinnerware but saw an ad for Metro. 

www.metrorentalobx.com
  • LRPardyLRPardy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi again,

Brought my guides to work so I could find any other rental companies (I knew there was another).

The third rental company down there is www.DistinctiveEventRentals.com

Cheers!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the information LR! :-) It's super helpful!!
  • LRPardyLRPardy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My pleasure!  Good luck with your planning and please let me know if you need any other info.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi ladies! I was wondering if one of you could take a look at some of my save-the-dates I've designed on Zazzle..? I have a few and I'm not sure which ones I like best, and my FI doesn't really care, haha.. So let me know and I can e-mail them!

Thanks!
    Smile
    edited December 2011
    I'll look at them!  My email is lauraclawson18@gmail.com
    Hatteras, North Carolina
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! You have mail :-)
  • edited December 2011
    Hey Ladies!

I am going to be an Ocracoke bride - but I'm also an Outer Banks Native. :) I've lived in and around Kitty Hawk since 1995 and moved to the southern beaches (Ocracoke) a little over a year ago!

So yeah, Hatteras is a beautiful area for a wedding! Glad to sort-of be amongst such a lovely group of you :D
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Hello! I just found this site & am very excited that I will also be having my wedding next August at Hatteras Island... I havent made any set plans yet.. I wont even be able to book the house until August but I was just trying to get some information. I  have never even been to the outer banks but I have heard nothing but good thing about it. The houses that I were looking at were all in different places. Ex: Avon, Frisco, Buxton.... Does anyone know the best place to have a wedding?? I guess it doesnt matter b/c we will just be having it on the beach... a beach is a beach in my eyes.....  What location has the best surroundings and things to do??? THANKS EVERYONE =)
  • edited December 2011
    We are ALSO having our Wedding at THE LOVE BOAT, October 1st, 2011. Are you going to have a tent at the back of the house for the reception? 

I am just now starting to look at caterers. Is anyone else really confused about pricing and such? Are there any caterers that yall would suggest or had some experience with?

We've already hired John Harper for DJ, Outer Banks Productions for Photography and Videography.

Anxious Bride-to-Be, 
    Casey
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_hatteras-island-bride-there-others?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:598Discussion:22eb9269-a784-4455-a2da-9b27182c8562Post:b2b90643-53bc-438d-a43e-a5383e008808">Re: Hatteras Island Bride! Are there any others?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello! I just found this site & am very excited that I will also be having my wedding next August at Hatteras Island... I havent made any set plans yet.. I wont even be able to book the house until August but I was just trying to get some information. I  have never even been to the outer banks but I have heard nothing but good thing about it. The houses that I were looking at were all in different places. Ex: Avon, Frisco, Buxton.... Does anyone know the best place to have a wedding?? I guess it doesnt matter b/c we will just be having it on the beach... a beach is a beach in my eyes.....  What location has the best surroundings and things to do??? THANKS EVERYONE =)
    Posted by BritaniMorrison[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Hi Britani, </div><div>
    </div><div>I've been there many times and I just love Buxton/Frisco/Hatteras. The town of Hatteras is really cute and has a small town feel.  Once I'm down there I usually don't venture north of Buxton and hardly ever even venture out of Hatteras except to drive out on the 4x4 beach on Frisco and Buxton. </div><div>
    </div><div>I'm renting an oceanfront house.  I don't know if you are renting an oceanfront/oceanside/oceanview but there are some really cute neighborhoods that easily access the beach in Hatteras if you are not renting a house directly on the ocean.  Hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions!</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
    Hatteras, North Carolina
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the info! We are going to rent a house throug Hatteras Realty... I have been looking at several that we really like... I havent decided on which house yet... They said I wont be able to book any until the week (a year before) the wedding... So I am waiting until August to call & see if the ones we are interested in are available... So have you ever to been to Corolla?? My cousins have been there before & said it's great... I'm just not sure where everything is & how far things are apart... I really like the love boat also... We are planning on easlily 50 people... Not everyone will be staying in the house of course... Theres 18 alone in the bridal party!!! Yikes I know but I couldnt leave anyone out haha... Were going to get married on the beach... Nothing fancy... very limited decorations... Then we are going to have a big BBQ style dinner at the house for the reception... My Fiance's friend is a d/j so he will be bringing his equipment to have a pool side reception... We are  building a house right now & are on a budget. I have talked to my family though & they all said they think the BBQ would be a good & fun idea...=)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards