Canada-Ontario

My mom's veil

Hi ladies!

I haven't purchased my wedding dress yet but know that I want lace. My mom's wedding veil has lace detailing and I got the idea that I want to wear it. It's beautiful but has an awkward head piece that look similar to a juliet cap. It's pretty but I am not sure it looks the best on me...so I wondered about getting it altered?

Is this possible and if so, who do I take it to in the Toronto area? I may not wear it if it doesn't look good with the wedding dress but wanted to see what my options are!!

Also- is this something my mom and I can DIY?

Re: My mom's veil

• edited December 2011
    I love this idea. I am actually doing the same thing with my mom's veil. She will atler it for me because she used to be a seamstress.

Yes you can absolutely alter it. You'll have to carefully cut the lace from around the cap and then you can then sew in a hair comb. You would have to be very careful with the cutting and sewing because lace is very finicky (not to mention delicate).

Not sure where you can get it done, but I would assume that a reputable tailor might be able to do it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks! I'm glad to hear it actually IS possible!!! I may inquire with the seamstress at dress shops...my mom may not be willing to do it herself (for fear that she will ruin it!!) LOL
  • Jewel224Jewel224 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey Sarah,

I pm'd you with the name of a well-recommended seamstress.  She may be able to assist you.

C.
  • edited December 2011
    THanks!
  • july21katejuly21kate member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am planning on wrapping my mom's veil around the stems of my bouquet instead of wearing it...just another option if the veil doesn't work with your dress! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards