Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Ceiling Draping/Lights for Reception Hall

Hello Ladies!

I was considering doing ceiling draping with the usual white twinkle lights and white fabric at the Reception hall. However, I was thinking about doing this as  DIY project to save some money. Has anyone done this before?? Have any tips/cost for it?? Thanks!!

Re: Ceiling Draping/Lights for Reception Hall

• How high are the ceilings at your venue? Will they allow you to use their ladder in order to drape the ceiling? I know a lot of venues won't let you due to liability issues, and a lot won't let you do it simply because they can make a ton of money off you to do it in house.

I worked at a venue in Mankato doing draping (which is how I know all venues completely over-charge for draping. I made $9 per hour, and it took 2 of us 3, 4 hours tops to install the draping. The client would get charged at least $500. You do the math, heh). Our draping had PVC pipes attached at each end of the drape (similar to a curtain rod pocket) in order to help it fan out more and not get all bunched up. And then the light string just went in the middle of that. I would def pre-measure all the draping so that you could put it up quickly on the day of.

Cost wise, the fabric is what's gonna cost you, depending on how much you need. There are a few online sites that sell fabric by the bolt for fairly cheap, so you might be able to pull it off.

Hope that helps, good luck!
  • Ditto PP -- most venues won't let you DIY draping. I would talk to your venue before bothering to think through the logistics.
  • It is okay with our venue to do our own draping and to use ladders. The ceiling isn't very high too. 
  • I am not DIY'ing this, but I went with Sitting Pretty Decor, and their pricing was excellent.  Other places I looked into for my reception site were upwards of 800 bucks, and Sitting Pretty with tax and everything was like 400.  It may be worth a shot to contact them and get an estimate.  It would save you some time and stress..
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If the celings are low, draping might make the room feel claustrophobic.
  • Did you also check with your vendor regarding timing, and will the timing work for you? I know that at our venue, setup could not start in the reception room until 2 hours before the actual reception, and tear down had to be completed by midnight the night of the reception. If your vendor had a similar time constraint, it may not be viable.

I also want to mention that I am a do-it-yourselfer much of the time, but this is something I personally would not take on. I am going to guess the cost of the supplies and hassle of putting up and taking down would be more trouble than its worth.
  • Thank you! I'll have to look into that
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards