Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Unbelievable.

You should only read this if you are not incredibly loving of elephants.  I could only get a few paragraphs through.

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1100924/jsp/frontpage/story_12976159.jsp

CN: A family of elephants was killed attempting to save 2 calves that had strayed onto the tracks.

Re: Unbelievable.

• Options
    That is...horrible.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    Cry
    not reading. I luff elephants too much.
  • Options
    I want to read it but I don't.  I just finished the book, "The Lost Dogs" about Michael Vick and I don't think my heart can take anymore animal suffering...
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I think it's incredible the amount of intellect they have, and how they care for their own.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unbelievable-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6149cbc9-acfa-4de3-8e31-6a6db5cc76a8Post:4808b673-52b2-4ee8-a7d9-da17deca0550">Re: Unbelievable.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I want to read it but I don't.  I just finished the book, "The Lost Dogs" about Michael Vick and I don't think my heart can take anymore animal suffering...
    Posted by pinkpinot[/QUOTE]

I don't know how you read that, truly.
  • Options
    Poor elephants :(
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    I can't read those types of things. My mom is constantly reading about animal abuse and than calls me to tell about it, I've been known to hang up on her or leave the room when she starts talking about it, thankfully she's getting the hint.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unbelievable-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:6149cbc9-acfa-4de3-8e31-6a6db5cc76a8Post:1785fbcf-c7f1-4c1f-9907-2ec5e9c123f5">Re: Unbelievable.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unbelievable. : I don't know how you read that, truly.
    Posted by vallyhoo[/QUOTE]

You know, I'd really recommend the book because you do find yourself cheering on the dogs that were saved and rehabilitated, there is a happy ending.  It is a beautiful story but it makes me sick when I see headlines about Vick.  People have no idea what he actually did, they just say, oh dog fighting he paid his dues, get over it let him play football.  No.  It's not about dog fighting, it's about how he viscously ended the lives of his non champion dogs.  I truly believe he is 100% a psychopath who should be in therapy, not throwing a football for millions of dollars.  A couple of his dogs are therapy dogs now that visit kids & cancer patients.  How incredible is that?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    That's so sad. Makes me want to Cry.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unbelievable-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6149cbc9-acfa-4de3-8e31-6a6db5cc76a8Post:df6cde8c-845c-44e0-b131-0021f1bfc0bb">Re: Unbelievable.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unbelievable. : You know, I'd really recommend the book because you do find yourself cheering on the dogs that were saved and rehabilitated, there is a happy ending.  It is a beautiful story but it makes me sick when I see headlines about Vick.  People have no idea what he actually did, they just say, oh dog fighting he paid his dues, get over it let him play football.  No.  It's not about dog fighting, it's about how he viscously ended the lives of his non champion dogs.  I truly believe he is 100% a psychopath who should be in therapy, not throwing a football for millions of dollars.  A couple of his dogs are therapy dogs now that visit kids & cancer patients.  How incredible is that?

I do follow the stories of the rescued dogs, but I absolutely cannot read about the torture. I did enough of that when he was on trial. I agree absolutely with what you said about how the perception is skewed that he did his time but in reality he didn't face charges for animal cruelty, just conspiracy charges.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unbelievable-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:6149cbc9-acfa-4de3-8e31-6a6db5cc76a8Post:df6cde8c-845c-44e0-b131-0021f1bfc0bb">Re: Unbelievable.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unbelievable. : You know, I'd really recommend the book because you do find yourself cheering on the dogs that were saved and rehabilitated, there is a happy ending.  It is a beautiful story but it makes me sick when I see headlines about Vick.  People have no idea what he actually did, they just say, oh dog fighting he paid his dues, get over it let him play football.  No.  It's not about dog fighting, it's about how he viscously ended the lives of his non champion dogs.  I truly believe he is 100% a psychopath who should be in therapy, not throwing a football for millions of dollars.  A couple of his dogs are therapy dogs now that visit kids & cancer patients.  How incredible is that?

didn't most of them go to Best Friends in Utah?  I <em>really </em>want to go spend a week out there and see how they run that place
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I refused to put Michael Vick on my FF team.  My H didn't have the same issue, but yeah... I don't care what you can do asswad.  You're still an asswad who kills animals.
  • Options
    Not reading it, it sounds too sad. Elephants are pretty amazing creatures.

As far as fighting dogs go, we ran into a neighbor who's fostering a pit bull his friend (a vet) found. She was one of many used for fighting, and she has scars on her face so clearly she's fought, but she was a total sweetheart - it's amazing how some animals can just let go of the bad stuff and not get messed up by it. Of course some are aggressive and have to be put down or only around certain people, but they're not all a write-off by any means.
  • Options

I think if the media had reported more about the torture he put the dogs through, people wouldn't be so quick to accept him back in the NFL.   I'm not going to go into detail, I will spare everyone but the group of people who intially rescued the dogs are still haunted by Vick's swimming pool.  These people have dealt with plenty of dog fighting & animal cruelty cases but they cannot shake that image from their minds.

anyHOO, I'm sorry to thread jack Mo'!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I remember when the Bill's considered picking up Vick and a shiit ton of regular season ticket holders refused to buy tickets if they did, I personally would have boycotted them as well.
  • Options
    That is so so sad.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unbelievable-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6149cbc9-acfa-4de3-8e31-6a6db5cc76a8Post:77c46270-d98b-4d60-a70e-34c6591a6898">Re: Unbelievable.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think if the media had reported more about the torture he put the dogs through, people wouldn't be so quick to accept him back in the NFL.   I'm not going to go into detail, I will spare everyone but the group of people who intially rescued the dogs are still haunted by Vick's swimming pool.  These people have dealt with plenty of dog fighting & animal cruelty cases but they cannot shake that image from their minds. anyHOO, I'm sorry to thread jack Mo'!
    It's okay.  No worries. 
  • Options
    I know what you're talking about with the pool, pink. Sweet Jesus :(((
    I admire that you read the book I *might* one day.

• Options
    Kelly, about 20 or 21 dogs went to Best Friends, can't remember exactly.  There were about 49 dogs (from 51 saved), some fostered & adopted out already and others are at various animal sanctuaries working on their manners and working through issues. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unbelievable-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:6149cbc9-acfa-4de3-8e31-6a6db5cc76a8Post:b535c08c-88c7-4b4c-b6f5-9f8207e53c9e">Re: Unbelievable.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Kelly, about 20 or 21 dogs went to Best Friends, can't remember exactly.  There were about 49 dogs (from 51 saved), some fostered & adopted out already and others are at various animal sanctuaries working on their manners and working through issues. 

I get the emails from Best Friends, and they have a lot of updates on the dogs, I just wasn't sure how many went there.  It really seems like an amazing place as far as animal rescue/sanctuary goes.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    so sad :(
    *Rafs Girl* Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unbelievable-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:6149cbc9-acfa-4de3-8e31-6a6db5cc76a8Post:4d433f22-c97e-4359-a9a9-4fce558b163b">Re: Unbelievable.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unbelievable. : I get the emails from Best Friends, and they have a lot of updates on the dogs, I just wasn't sure how many went there.  It really seems like an amazing place as far as animal rescue/sanctuary goes.
    Posted by kellyjellybelly[/QUOTE]

Definitely, the care takers sleep in the kennels at night with the Vick dogs to get them comfortable with humans & companionship.  I think that is amazing and I wish more shelters treated homeless animals that way. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I can tell from the CN that I can't read that.  :(

I vaguely remember watching a nature documentary once upon a time about a team of biologists who were attempting to record wild elephants' vocabulary.  The hypothesis was that the elephants had an actual spoken (well, trumpeted) language.  I don't know if elephants are sapient or not, but I can't help but think of them -- and dolphins -- are more human like than animal like after that.

• Options
    It makes me so mad when people tell me they don't understand why I get SO upset about how easy Vick got off. They're just like "oh they're dogs, whatever." They don't think about how if a person can abuse an animal the way Vick and his cronie's did, they can do it to anyone. Babies, kids, women, the elderly.

I think our justice system is really bass akwards when a non-violent pothead can go to jail for a longer time than a guy who brutally tortured and murdered helpless animals.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards