Honeymoon Discussions

the name change and INT honeymoon

We're getting married in October but not honeymooning until mid-November.  We will be traveling internationally and I booked everything under my maiden name because I knew there would be a chance I couldn't get a new passport in time.

Has anyone been in this situation and did you start your name change (i.e. SS card, DL, bank accounts, etc.) before your honeymoon and then change your passport after you got back?  I would rather start the process before we go, instead of wasting a month with my old name and being in some sort of limbo. 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: the name change and INT honeymoon

• I would NOT start it before you go.  You do not want to travel abroad and then have issues.  If you do choose to, you can bring your marriage certificate with you.  Along with forms with your maiden name AND your new name.  You have to be able to prove who you really are.....
    It's time. Adoption saving and process started in November 2012.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Everything I've read says to NOT do anything towards your name change before the honeymoon...it's just so much easier to travel with your original documents. It doesn't make you any less married. Even though there is a small break between your wedding and honeymoon it still isn't enough time to change your name. Some of those documents can take weeks to arrive. 

I know you don't want to be in 'limbo' but those few weeks will seem like nothing down the road. Just worry about having tons of fun and not about whether or not your new social security card is sitting in your mail box at home.
  • Thanks!  I have been told by some to start everything else and keep my current passport.  Seriously, I was told to even get a new name passport but keep the old one for the trip (um, no!).  I'm sort of annoyed to have to wait a month to do what is, for me, the only dreaded part of getting married, but better safe than sorry.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • your social security #, drivers license etc aren't linked to the passport office so there's no reason that you'd have issues. you can start the process of changing everything over before you go (aside of passport of course) and then do the passport when you return.
    i would keep any credit or bank cards in the maiden name until after your trip though.if they ask for ID with a credit card and you give the passport in maiden and credit in married they won't match.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_name-change-int-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:fa88360d-cc90-48bc-9d9a-22596a219073Post:b74dd877-458c-44d7-a5be-48a81e719118">Re: the name change and INT honeymoon</a>:
    [QUOTE]your social security #, drivers license etc aren't linked to the passport office so there's no reason that you'd have issues. you can start the process of changing everything over before you go (aside of passport of course) and then do the passport when you return. i would keep any credit or bank cards in the maiden name until after your trip though.if they ask for ID with a credit card and you give the passport in maiden and credit in married they won't match.
    Posted by alithebride[/QUOTE]

I would be careful of this....if you are overseas and for some reason your passport gets lost or stolen, you will need identification to prove who you are to get back.  If that passport was in your maiden name you will need to prove that you are that person with id in your maiden name.  I wouldn't take the chance, just wait until you get back to change everything.  It really isn't that difficult of a process.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_name-change-int-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:fa88360d-cc90-48bc-9d9a-22596a219073Post:fd34dd44-4974-42ba-8cec-524eb35c9b39">Re: the name change and INT honeymoon</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks!  I have been told by some to start everything else and keep my current passport.  Seriously,<strong> I was told to even get a new name passport but keep the old one for the trip (um, no!). </strong> I'm sort of annoyed to have to wait a month to do what is, for me, the only dreaded part of getting married, but better safe than sorry.
    Posted by jenb1205[/QUOTE]

You actually can't do that anyway because they punch a hole through your old passport.
    And I'm in the minority that says there's no harm in starting the process before you go. You should take a copy of your passport with you, leave a copy with someone at home, and scan and email the info page to yourself as well, so if you lose your passport you'll have ways of identifying yourself.
    imageimageimage
  • My fiance and I will be going on a coast to coast train + hotel trip through Canada. My travel agent told me NOT to change my name until we got back and to just go with my Maiden name on my passport. Its much easier and safer that way.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards