Registry and Gift Forum

Thanks a lot Target

So I have always loved Target.It's my go to store for basically anything. So I thought obviously I'm going to register there....terrible idea. 

So I got a very nice coffee maker in white for my shower. I went to return it to get a black one because everything else is black and I just wanted it to match. Maybe I'm a brat but it's my first house and I know what I want. So anyways I did not recieve a receipt so I went to the service desk to return it and they give me a gift card for the lowest price the coffee maker was in the last 90 days. Not a probem right? I'm fine with it. Anyways I go back to find a black coffee maker and I find the exact same one in black! This s great! The coffee maker is about $8 more than they gave me on the gift card so I figure well it's the same one they'll just do an even exchange right? Wrong! They refused to let me exchange it and I had to pay an extra $8 for the coffee maker. Not to mention im 99% sure the person who bought it got it at the regular price so ultimately the coffee maker was $16 more than it should have been. Awesome thanks Target.
Anniversary

Re: Thanks a lot Target

• That's their stated policy, though.  Sorry you don't like it.  At least you have matching appliances now!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Honestly I get the frustration with Target - but before people register there they should read the return policy.  You don't need to read everything about every store you are considering, but the return policy is a pretty major thing when it comes to registering.  Returns are just part of the process because somebody will buy you a duplicate or the wrong model or the wrong color.  There are several posts on this board right now complaining about Target's return policy, but it's not like it's a secret.  Target is not in the wedding business.  Registries do not make up the bulk of their sales.  They don't have to be over-accommodating to brides because most the people who shop there aren't looking to buy a wedding gift, as might be the case at a store like BBB or Macy's.  So while I get the frustration, I honestly have a hard time pinning this on them.  

Brides should be aware that registries often generate several thousands of dollars of gifts for them and their fiances, and I feel like this gives the couple the very small responsibility of making sure the store they are doing business with generally operates in a way that is satisfactory to them.  If a store's registry crashes or the manager doesn't follow the policies stated, etc. that's one thing.  But everything that's been recently complained about with regard to Target's return policy is part of their normal course of business.  If you don't want to deal with a store that will only return for value with a receipt, then don't register at Target.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm so sick of how when someone vents on TK they get completely lambasted with comments like, "Well you should have known." 

Ok, sure.  We should have been better versed in their return policies.  But is it too much to ask that when someone vents about bad customer service or bad policies that someone in the TK universe can say, "Man you're right.  That sucks."

OP, I've had a horrible time with my Target registry too.  And it sucks.  Sorry you had to go through it.

I just posted a rant on Target too and I stand by it.  Many of my problems were due to Target's bad service and not my ignorance.  I posted so that other brides will know what they might be getting into with registering at Target.  Not so I can have 10,000 women who are already married and still lurk on TK tell me I'm an idiot.
  • Yeah and I totally get that, it's just frustrating since it was the exact same thing in another color. It's not like I hate Target and will never shop there again.I use to work at Shopko and I guess I'm more use to their return policy, and on the other hand I was very lucky to get anything at all, I guess technically I got a coffee maker for $8 which is a steal. Haha
    Anniversary
  • Avion22Avion22 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2012
    Yeah, normally stores will let you do a straight-across exchange for a different size or color regardless of whether or not it was sold at a lower price in the last 90 days.  I mean, the fact of the matter is that that coffee makes is worth whatever it is worth NOW, and Target can restock and sell it for that price TODAY.   

DSC_9275
  • I don't think you're a brat, OP.

Target's return policy SUCKS, and I think it's BS you had to pay extra for the same coffee maker, in a different color.  Stupid, stupid.

After reading some of these complaints, there is no way in hell I'm registering at Target.
  • I think that's ridiculous.  Was this an item on your registry?  I just took a look at Target's registry return policy (link), and I don't think that the OP's issue would have been readily apparent from the policy.  

Maybe there should be a sticky about Target registries so all of these complaints can go there and people new to the boards will see them.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_thanks-a-lot-target?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:406c1592-a99b-4f04-8fb7-8955ad6635b1Post:1fa3a678-5dac-42dd-ad29-6c2a6f6693e9">Re: Thanks a lot Target</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah and I totally get that, it's just frustrating since it was the exact same thing in another color. It's not like I hate Target and will never shop there again.I use to work at Shopko and I guess I'm more use to their return policy, and on the other hand I was very lucky to get anything at all, I guess technically I got a coffee maker for $8 which is a steal. Haha
    Posted by bmiller1128[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I get that, I do.  I worked at Target for three years before going back to school for teaching so I just know their return policies really well - and also have dealt with people flipping out enough about "not knowing them," know what I mean?  Retail's hard, man.  I really don't miss it!</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • I really dont think Target's return policy sucks, I think it is pretty fair. Most places have similar return policies. It sucks that the gift giver chose not to give you a gift receipt. Target cannot verify what the gift giver paid for the item so I understand why they have to give you the lowest selling price. As PPs have said, Target is not in the wedding business, just because you have a registry there doesnt mean you are going to get any special treatment over anyone who shops there. At least you werent stuck with a coffeemaker you dont want and you only had to pay $16 bucks to get one that matched.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_thanks-a-lot-target?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:406c1592-a99b-4f04-8fb7-8955ad6635b1Post:694ffa03-82bd-4c53-aafe-3da488f3b5c3">Re: Thanks a lot Target</a>:
    [QUOTE]I really dont think Target's return policy sucks, I think it is pretty fair. Most places have similar return policies. It sucks that the gift giver chose not to give you a gift receipt. Target cannot verify what the gift giver paid for the item so I understand why they have to give you the lowest selling price. As PPs have said, Target is not in the wedding business, just because you have a registry there doesnt mean you are going to get any special treatment over anyone who shops there. At least you werent stuck with a coffeemaker you dont want and you only had to pay $16 bucks to get one that matched.
    Posted by sparkles776[/QUOTE]
    Yep yep. People really need to chill. OP, you actually seem a lot more even keeled than most of the anti-Target posters that come on here. Like PP said, they're not going to give you special treatment & they have no way of knowing how much was spent on it. 
  • Regardless of whether someone has a registry there or not - if someone is exchanging for the exact same thing - it should be an even trade.  If she was getting store credit instead, I would completely agree with their policy.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_thanks-a-lot-target?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:406c1592-a99b-4f04-8fb7-8955ad6635b1Post:694ffa03-82bd-4c53-aafe-3da488f3b5c3">Re: Thanks a lot Target</a>:
    [QUOTE]I really dont think Target's return policy sucks, I think it is pretty fair. Most places have similar return policies. It sucks that the gift giver chose not to give you a gift receipt. Target cannot verify what the gift giver paid for the item so I understand why they have to give you the lowest selling price. As PPs have said, <strong>Target is not in the wedding business</strong>, just because you have a registry there doesnt mean you are going to get any special treatment over anyone who shops there. At least you werent stuck with a coffeemaker you dont want and you only had to pay $16 bucks to get one that matched.
    Posted by sparkles776[/QUOTE]

<div>I disagree with this one bolded part.  I think once you promote wedding registries in your store, do direct mailings to engaged brides encouraging them to register at Target, etc, you are in fact in the wedding business.</div><div>
    </div><div>But I would argue the same for any store that actively pushes a wedding registry.</div>
  • edited August 2012
    Thank you bmiller. It's good to know what questions to ask before choosing where to register. I would have assumed that an even exchange would be allowed.

• courtneyconger: Amen, couldn't have said it better myself! I'm avoiding Target for my registry after reading all of these issues. BBB sounds much easier to return items if necessary so I'm heading there!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_thanks-a-lot-target?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:406c1592-a99b-4f04-8fb7-8955ad6635b1Post:95b773d1-184a-4022-a2c5-28fe40fbd5ec">Re: Thanks a lot Target</a>:
    [QUOTE]Regardless of whether someone has a registry there or not - if someone is exchanging for the exact same thing - it should be an even trade.  If she was getting store credit instead, I would completely agree with their policy.
    Posted by mcdoh006[/QUOTE]

It's not the exact same thing, it's a different color.
    Different colors of appliances can vary in price
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_thanks-a-lot-target?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:406c1592-a99b-4f04-8fb7-8955ad6635b1Post:3fcceac8-5bf6-4349-a424-1b574393c70b">Re:Thanks a lot Target</a>:
    [QUOTE]courtneyconger: Amen, couldn't have said it better myself! I'm avoiding Target for my registry after reading all of these issues. BBB sounds much easier to return items if necessary so I'm heading there!
    Posted by Caitlynmk[/QUOTE]

<div>Seriously BBB has the best return policy. My mom is a manger at a BBB store and apparently they have an indefinite return policy. As long as you have a receipt you can bring anything back, in any condition, after any amount of time. She said she did a return for some old lady bringing in used bath mats (read: grimy and moldy) they hadn't stocked in a number of years, but since she had a receipt, my mom was required to honor her return. They also do even exchanges. My Keurig hasn't been brewing correctly lately and my mom was like "Oh, just bring it into any store and tell them it doesn't work anymore. They'll just grab you a new off the shelf. We do it all the time and just send the old one back." I'm actually really excited to register there, haha. </div>
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_thanks-a-lot-target?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:406c1592-a99b-4f04-8fb7-8955ad6635b1Post:0bec8ff0-c4fa-433d-ab26-3dad42c98919">Re: Thanks a lot Target</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think that's ridiculous.  Was this an item on your registry?  I just took a look at Target's registry return policy ( link ), and I don't think that the OP's issue would have been readily apparent from the policy.   <strong>Maybe there should be a sticky about Target registries so all of these complaints can go there and people new to the boards will see them.</strong>
    Posted by jessicabessica[/QUOTE]

Yes, please! I've been lurking on TK for a while and even polled married friends on FB about their registries and have heard Target is pretty lame. While I'm totally fine with NOT offering it as one of our registry options, FI is not. I want to do maybe Kohl's and BBB, or one of those and Amazon, but FI wants a more common brick & mortar store.

Having a stickied post would be great! Especially for some of the lesser known "rules" within their policy. I'll have to make sure to read over it super well if we end up going with them...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    So ready to bring our families together and PARTY on April 13th, 2013!
    image 225 Invited
    image 53 Are ready to party!
    image 18 Will be missing out!
    image 154 Are MIA!
    Reply requested by March 23.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards