Wedding Etiquette Forum

Is this common knowledge?

This morning, when we were heading back to our truck (I was at that Chick-Fil-A opening) we found that it had been broken into during the night.

Luckily, they got nothing of value. They stole a dollar, the owner manual and a few small things but nothing exciting.

We reported it to a girl working to let her know what had happened and she asked if they stole the title. I have no idea, because we were in FIL's truck, but she said that she learned that you're not supposed to keep your title in your car.

Just in case anyone is wondering, other people had their truck broken into, too. It appears that F250s were the target vehicle and all were broken into the same way:

Pushing in the keyhole so hard that it broke off the door handle and voila! Access into the truck.

Coincidentally, 2 of the trucks were marked with Certified Firefighter license plates. I hope that karma comes back and bites them in the ass big time.

Why have I never heard this? Is this something that everyone knows?

I'm posting and running, but I'll be back in an hour or so.

Re: Is this common knowledge?

• Mine's in a file at home.  I never thought about it.  I have heard you're not suppose to carry your SS card in your wallet, though.
    Photobucket
  • Ive heard this happening on trucks and work vans.  Scary scary!
    It's time. Adoption saving and process started in November 2012.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    That reminds me I need to take my sin card out of my wallet. I keep forgetting, thanks shelly!!
  • I don't know if it's common knowledge, but I don't keep anything like that on me or in the car.

SS card, car title, and other stuff like that, all at home.  Oh, and I have a copy of each, and a copy of all my credit cards in my Dad's safe.  I think I'm the other extreme.
  • Yeah, one of my friends told me that. But she keeps her's in her wallet.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • yes I know that you should not keep the title in the car. 

I use to not keep my ss card in my wallet but the USVI asks for the card all the time.   It's so annoying... I've been getting a health card ever year for 10 years and I still have to show the actual card.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I would have thought that was common knowledge, yes.  Mine is at home.
  • Champagne , they haven't.  My brother is USAF and it has his.
    It's time. Adoption saving and process started in November 2012.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I didn't know until H told me. Someone broke into his truck and I asked if they took the title. That's when he told me you shouldn't keep in vehicle for that very reason.
  • I did know this.  If your actual car was ever stolen, you'd need to the title to the insurance money.  I know you can get a replacement title, but it takes forever.  

But I never really thought about it.  I got my title in the mail and stuck it someplace in my office and forgot about it.  It wouldn't occur to me to take it out and put it in the car.
  • I did know not to keep that stuff on me but I may or may not have lost my SSC.  Oops.  It's not a big deal to get it replaced I just haven't done it.  My mom handed it over to me when I was 15 and I lost it somewhere in my room.  I'm not even a disorganized person but 15 year olds aren't exactly the most together and intelligent creatures on the earth either.  I suck.
    My Bio Updated 4/6/10
  • Yep, I knew that. When we travel and leave cars behind (and when the Mazda was towed in for the major body overhaul), we took insurance cards, and the tag registration out of it/them too.

SS cards are filed together here at home. I have my car title and J has the Mazda one, but I think the bank has the truck title still.

Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • I  was always told not to keep the title in the vehicle.

and as mentioned in pp's about the SS and birth certificates. I was told not to carry them on me in case your purse/wallet gotten stolen or lost.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • If you don't have a safe, at least keep your important documents in your fridge.  Your fridge stands a better chance in a fire than your desk.

Car titles, house titles, SS cards, birth certs, passports, insurance information, pictures of your belongings, etc. should all be safe and fireproof.
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• I know about not keeping my SSC anywhere but in a safe (I'm a fraud analyst) but it NEVER dawned on me not to keep the title in my car. It makes perfect sense and I'm glad to know now. 

Unfortunately, the bank still has my title :p
  • Yep, techincally whomever has the title "owns" the vehicle so definitely keep it elsewhere than in the vehicle itself.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-common-knowledge?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6f7628cb-5f15-4a41-9cba-8cc727e624a2Post:7a7660a4-135e-438f-9610-b5bc80ce3ad5">Re: Is this common knowledge?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yep, techincally whomever has the title "owns" the vehicle so definitely keep it elsewhere than in the vehicle itself.
    Posted by Mrs.B6302007[/QUOTE]

<div>yes this.  The holder of the title owns the car, so if it gets stolen, it will be hard to prove that its your car, and not the thief's! </div>
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Yes it's common knowledge, and just common sense not to keep important papers and titles in the vehicle. 

While you would have legal recourse if the title was fraudulently obtained, it would be a hassle to deal with.
  • Yes, I think it is common knowledge.  I have never kept the title in the car.  It always stays at home.  Just like I never carry my SS card or my passport around. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2011 Reading Challenge

Jessica has read 16 books toward her goal of 150 books.
    hide
    "It's fine to have an open mind, just not so open your brains fall out."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards