Wedding Etiquette Forum

Wearing red rude etiquette?

Is it rude for the mother of the bride or groom to wear red as far as etiquette is concerned?

Re: Wearing red rude etiquette?

• I see no reason why you couldn't wear red.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • I don't see any problem with it either. They are not part of the WP so they don't have to match.
  • Why would that be poor etiquette?  I think she could wear whatever color she wanted, other than white.
    09.10 Siggy Challenge
    PhotobucketMy favorite picture is of the night we got engaged!
  • I think bright or vibrant red it is rude. I have read a few things about this online. Red is a very "eye-catching" color naturally, and it takes away attention from the bride in photos.

Have you ever seen that show "Who's Wedding is it Anyway?". I saw a mother on there who insisted on wearing a bright red gown because she wanted to pretend she was the bride and have all eyes on her. It's hurtful unless bride is ok with it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wearing-red-rude-etiquette?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:64939038-5a1b-4b60-9e79-ac00497dc4fePost:4cb40dfe-0736-4e21-8df6-a7babfe9c688">Re: Wearing red rude etiquette?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think bright or vibrant red it is rude. I have read a few things about this online. Red is a very "eye-catching" color naturally, and it takes away attention from the bride in photos. Have you ever seen that show "Who's Wedding is it Anyway?". I saw a mother on there who insisted on wearing a bright red gown because she wanted to pretend she was the bride and have all eyes on her. It's hurtful unless bride is ok with it.
    Posted by Teamouse[/QUOTE]
    I saw that episode.  It's wasn't so much the color, but also that the dress was tight and revealing that made the dress inappropriate.  <div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • Well, it couldn't be any ruder than having your sister wear black to your wedding to show everyone that she does not approve of anything that you do.
    You know you are truly blessed when you find that one who completes you,makes you totally happy, and feels your pain from the other room. The one you feel lost without, the one that makes you laugh, the one that makes you cry. The one that makes you wonder how you can be so lucky. Congratulations to everyone who has found "the one."
  • i think that the dress style and color combination is important.  a flashy blue dress is worse than a pantsuit-esq red dress.

as a general rule, i dont think its rude, but i could see where it could be a problem.
    10-10 siggy favorite summer picture Image and video hosting by TinyPic http://hiscb.blogspot.com/
  • LOL - I actually asked my mom to wear a red sequin dress to my wedding!!  She looks awesome in it and where else will she get the chance to wear one except at our Vegas wedding?!  I really hope she wears it, but she's so concerned about not taking away attention from me...I told not to worry about it because frankly I dont think anyone else will be wearing a veil!

So I gues it depends on whether the bride is ok with it or not.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't think there's a point of etiquette against you. Does it bother you, OP? If it does, steer them toward another color option. "You look so nice in mauve!" or
    "Teal would compliment the wedding colors really nicely."
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Infertile, living childfree, advocating like a BOSS
  • I don't think anypne would ever mistake ANYONE at a weddign to be the bride unless they show up in a white gown. The idea that a red dress would distract from the bride in ludacris IMO. If she like red,let her wear red. My mom is wearing black because she isn't comfortable wearing alot of color, and thats fne with me.
  • I read on another board a while back (in discussion of funny/weird traditions) that a woman wearing red means she has slept with the groom.  It made me laugh... and I don't think many people have ever heard that... just thought I'd share and hopefully make you laugh as well :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wearing-red-rude-etiquette?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:64939038-5a1b-4b60-9e79-ac00497dc4fePost:2031c2bc-7927-4185-83b0-fd8ebd09095c">Re: Wearing red rude etiquette?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I read on another board a while back (in discussion of funny/weird traditions) that a woman wearing red means she has slept with the groom.  It made me laugh... and I don't think many people have ever heard that... just thought I'd share and hopefully make you laugh as well :)
    Posted by angieandjames[/QUOTE]

Haha, that's hilarious!
  • i wouldn't like it much but only because my wedding dress is fuschia and that would clash horribly!

otherwise, i see nothing wrong with red.
  • in east indian traditions is a bad omen NOT to wear red... i found that out when i was my best friends maid of honour and i wasn't wearing red :S
  • Only if she pairs it with a matching horns and carries a triten a la a devil halloween costume much like this one:

• I don't see any problem with red, I would see a problem with wearing white
  • There's nothing wrong with red, or any other color including white, as far as I see it.  For myself, I don't like being the center of attention and I just want everyone to look beautiful so I want them in colors that best suit them or make them most comfortable.  I actually pushed my mom to pick a bright blue sequined ball gown-type dress to wear, and she thought the sequins were bad, but now she really loves the dress.  Red, as PPs said, can be a really good thing to wear too, depending on tradition.  In ancient Rome, brides all wore a red veil! 

The biggest point in favor of, or against any dress is whether or not it's appropriate to the person wearing it.  If it's too tight, too low-cut, etc. then it will always be wrong for wedding attire.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wearing-red-rude-etiquette?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:64939038-5a1b-4b60-9e79-ac00497dc4fePost:2031c2bc-7927-4185-83b0-fd8ebd09095c">Re: Wearing red rude etiquette?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I read on another board a while back (in discussion of funny/weird traditions) that a woman wearing red means she has slept with the groom.  It made me laugh... and I don't think many people have ever heard that... just thought I'd share and hopefully make you laugh as well :)
    Posted by angieandjames[/QUOTE]
    Yikes, that doesn't bode well for all the weddings to which I've worn read... I swear I didn't sleep with those guys!
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. ~Mae West
  • Traditionally, wearing red and black were considered rude.  They conveyed disapproval or a lack of respect for the event.

This tradition has gone the way of calling cards, though.  White is the only color that is taboo at weddings now.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards