California-Central

Ragged Point Inn (in San Simeon) as a venue??

Hi everyone!  I'm newly engaged and IN LOVE with Ragged Point Inn as a potential venue.  Have any of you had a wedding there or know someone who has?  I'd love to get feedback on this venue.  How was the food, etc?  

Thanks so much,
Bethany

Re: Ragged Point Inn (in San Simeon) as a venue??

• edited December 2011
    I know my family LOVES Ragged point, I have never personally eaten the food from the actual restaurant there, but I know my parents love to go out there for their anniversary and always came home saying how amazing it all was. Ragged point is such a beautiful breath-taking location, for me the food would be on the bottom of the list, it is just impressive on it's own with the natural splendor of it all. But, I'm sure you could go out there and have a lunch date to just try a few basics and see if you can try the food you might pick and go from there. Plus it gives you a reason to get out of the house and go on a fun date :)
  • edited December 2011
    I stayed there a few years ago and thought it would be an amazing wedding venue! The rooms are gorgeous, the views amazing...they have a big reception room and gorgeous ceremony location. The food was only so/so, and their signature wine wasn't very good. Something to think about...it's a long drive from town, which may be tough for people who don't plan to spend the night and want to indulge in drinks. Nevertheless, gorgeous place...check it out!
  • edited December 2011
    My husband and I kind of got trapped into staying there on our way to Big Sur for our honeymoon.  Maybe it was an off night for them, but the food we had at their restaurant was so bad it was practically inedible.  DH had a pork chop that was so overcooked he had to send it back (it was seriously like a rock, and he will eat anything and rarely sends food back at restaurants), and my pasta dish, on top of having overcooked, rubbery meat and undercooked vegetables, was just awkwardly put together flavor-wise.  For their prices, I would at least expect decent quality food.  DH also got a horrible, burnt latte (for 5 American dollars) the next morning-poor thing.  

Also, our room really wasn't that nice. I mean, ok, it was clean, which was its main selling point, but the toilet was installed like REALLY high off the ground (I'm 5'8" and I had to sit on my tippy toes), the light switches were in awkward places, and it was just a really strange, uncomfortable room in general.  We couldn't get out of there fast enough. 

Long story short, I would look up the coast in Big Sur proper. I did a conference at Big Sur Lodge not too long ago, and the food there was quite good.  Plus, all the rooms had wood-burning fireplaces, and the place didn't seem too pricey. The Ventana would be incredible, and their food was AMAZING, but I'm sure it's a budget buster.     
    Learning to live and work from home: My blog
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks so much everyone, for your feedback.  Unfortunately, Ragged Point isn't going to work out as a venue.  The event coordinator there, Gloria, is pretty difficult to work with.  She's pretty disorganized and not very friendly (kind of rude, actually).  She was our first experience working with a wedding coordinator, and she was the complete opposite of what I expected a wedding coordinator to be.  I had assumed a wedding coordinator would be a friendly, happy, organized person.  Hopefully, we'll have better luck at another venue.  It would have been the perfect location, but just not worth it to have to work with someone who seems stressed and not happy.  Will definitely look into something more north in Big Sur :)
  • edited December 2011
    I think you dodged a bullet.  Good luck.
    Learning to live and work from home: My blog
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_california-central_ragged-point-inn-san-simeon-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:61Discussion:c697224c-6698-4b63-9c46-a3d81c029ca7Post:53e913df-8425-4840-b6a7-5208aac2ec4f">Re: Ragged Point Inn (in San Simeon) as a venue??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks so much everyone, for your feedback.  Unfortunately, Ragged Point isn't going to work out as a venue.  The event coordinator there, Gloria, is pretty difficult to work with.  She's pretty disorganized and not very friendly (kind of rude, actually).  She was our first experience working with a wedding coordinator, and she was the complete opposite of what I expected a wedding coordinator to be.  I had assumed a wedding coordinator would be a friendly, happy, organized person.  Hopefully, we'll have better luck at another venue.  It would have been the perfect location, but just not worth it to have to work with someone who seems stressed and not happy.  Will definitely look into something more north in Big Sur :)
    Posted by bubblyb98[/QUOTE]

Dear Bethany and Edmond,
    I am quite passionate and responsible in regards to being the Wedding Coordinator for Ragged Point Inn and Resort for the past 12 years.   I love what I do and it brings great happiness to give a lovely and memorable day to the couple and their guests.  These are couples that come back to Ragged Point Inn and Resort for their anniversaries.
    I reviewed the emails that you and I had exchanged.  I even have notes of  you touring Ragged Point the day before and what we spoke about.  If you would like, I can forward those to you.  You complained about your last two visits to the Restaurant.  The Weddings and Receptions are a completely different department.   On the day you came to Ragged Point to observe the Wedding and do a tasting, I had told you that I wouldn't have any time to meet with you because I was focused on the Wedding and Reception.  My day is dedicated to them.    I seriously would never schedule any type of meeting when my attention is required for so many details on this "Life Event" for the Bride and Groom on their day; March 26, 2011.   The complimentary tasting for you and your fiancée would have been offered after the guests had been served.    I do apologize for you feeling slighted. However, I know that I would never lead you to believe that I would have had time for you on this day. 
    I am very happy to have this opportunity to respond to your post.

Sincerely,
    Gloria Ardis
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards