Military Brides

Sent to Puerto Rico without his last name

My fiancé and I are getting married on may 11th. On May 12th, we are being transfered to Puerto Rico due to his military job. I am trying to figure out the best way to get all our legal paperwork in order prior to the move, which is proving complicated since my last name will not be legally changed until after the wedding ceremony. We have looked into getting legally married prior to May 11th, but I would like to avoid this if possible. I know most of the legal changing I can do online, but drivers license has to be done in person. Any suggestions, or has anyone gone through a similar situation?

Re: Sent to Puerto Rico without his last name

  • Every state is different, but in every state I know, you cannot do anything prior to being married. In Pennsylvania, I cannot do anything about changing my name with out an official copy of the marriage license, that becomes available 10 days after the wedding. Then I take that to the social security office, then for driver license/car title, then change all credit cards/bank accounts. It's always an option to not change your name at all since theres no reason that you HAVE to change it or you can possibky wait until you are settled into the new place. Whatever you do, please don't get married before your wedding because then it will no longer be a wedding, but a vow renewal. You don't want to be in a position where you are lying to your friends and family by having a fake wedding after you're already married. And just wondering, are you sure his orders are accompanied? From our experiences, no one gets accompanied orders unless they are officially married/ registered as a dependent.
  • Could you look into going down a few days or a week after him. I was able to get a certified copy of our mariage license immediately because of my husband's orders.  The clerk stamped it and filed it while I was standing there and then gave me a copy.  Talk to your local court house and see if you can do the same thing.  I did my driver's license and SS card in the same day.  Lines sucked, but I was able to get them done.  The SS office can give you paperwork saying you have filed for a change of name on your card.  You can also wait to do that when you get to PR.  He can also wait and put you into DEERS when you get to PR.  The only things you really need to have done are filing your license and getting your driver's license. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would definitely file your own marriage license immediately and maybe go down a few days after him. I got married on a Sunday, filed it on Monday and on Tuesday I changed everything. 
  • TheVirginiansTheVirginians member
    500 Comments 25 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited February 2013
    I posted a similar question on the E board under I think this is going to hurt.. Similar situation to you. Check it out. It is just a more active board than this one.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards