Wedding Reception Forum

Real flowers vs silk flowers...What do you think?

Is it tacky to use silk flowers in my centerpieces especially if i'm having an outdoor wedding? How about if it is indoors? Is the cost difference really that much? Do they look bad in pictures? I need help and opinions!!! :)

Re: Real flowers vs silk flowers...What do you think?

• Good silk flowers will actually cost more, in many cases, than real flowers do.  Inexpensive fake flowers will look like.....inexpensive fake flowers.

Talk to a florist.  If you use flowers that are in season, and don't have huge arrangements, you can hold down the cost of flowers.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • It's not tacky, but realistic silks often don't save money and cheap silks tend to look very fake.
  • I personally like real flowers the look & the smell  you cant beat that.. Like post before silk can cost just as much or even more for nice looking ones
    RSVP: AUGUST 18,2010 image 256 Are Invited image 191 Are ready to Party!
    image 65 Will be missing out image 0 Where Are you? We can't wait Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • All of our bouquets/bouts/corsages were silk flowers.  For us, the cost was about 70% of what we would have paid the florist for real flowers.  I also like the fact that I still have my bouquet now and have it displayed in a cabinet with the unity candle, toasting glasses and other things I saved.  I have pictures in my bio if you're interested.  Maybe some people can really tell and hated my flowers, but they were certainly to my liking.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I'm usually more in favor of using real flowers minimally--i.e., use more candles, fruit, greenery, petals, etc. and less real flowers and make sure the flowers are in season.  A good florist should be able to work with whatever budget you have.
  • I tend to prefer fake flowers when they look stylized.  We did paper roses, they cost about $50 for six bouquets, three corsages, and a few random blooms for decoration.  I really loved the look of them, and got a lot of compliments.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • We're doing a mix of real and silk.  My bouquet and the bouts will be real, but the toss bouquet will be silk.  As for centerpieces, we're either not going to use flowers or were going to submerge flowers in vases of water, and we'd probably use silks for those too.

As blondie said, you can't beat the smell of the real thing :)
    Follow Me on Pinterest Image and video hosting by TinyPic Photobucket Photobucket
  • Funny story, wedding I was at a month ago had very real looking fake flowers; tulips in this case.  Well at the end of the reception some of the guests asked the MOB if they could have a centerpiece since they figured it would just go to waste anyway, she's like of course, not knowing the flowers were rented by the bride LOL.  So as people start carrying out flowers the florist had shown up to get them all and starts running up to people snatching them out of their hands.  It was hilarious.  So summary of the story is they can look very real and nice if they're high quality, but tell your guests they can't have them. :)

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_real-flowers-vs-silk-flowerswhat-think?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:47244765-391d-4dd1-a8d4-305e821bdbc1Post:8df72d4f-f982-4ee6-bcb0-4647d4aa7e6a">Re: Real flowers vs silk flowers...What do you think?</a>:
    [QUOTE]All of our bouquets/bouts/corsages were silk flowers.  For us, the cost was about 70% of what we would have paid the florist for real flowers.  I also like the fact that I still have my bouquet now and have it displayed in a cabinet with the unity candle, toasting glasses and other things I saved.  I have pictures in my bio if you're interested.  Maybe some people can really tell and hated my flowers, but they were certainly to my liking.
    Posted by cschuma2[/QUOTE]

Ditto.
    image. Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I am making my bouquets and the girls' as well. And FI's bout too, we wanted to be able to save our flowers, and we just don't like the way real flowers turn out dried or "preserved".

We're ordering fresh flowers for the altar and for the other bouts, and for the grannies' wrist corsages. My mom & FI's mom are debating between a wrist corsage with real flowers or a small bouquet to carry of artificial so they can keep them. 
    Crosswalk
  • Due to allergies we're doing silk, for everything.  I made all the bout's, coursages, nosegays, garlands and bouquets for a third of what the cost of local in season fresh flowers would have been.

I think it depends on the flower varital you go with as to how they will photograph, some inexpensive silk varitals look very nice in person and in pictures.
  • Real all the way!  Fake flowers look like fake flowers.  Use what is in season, a good florist will work with you to accomodate your budget.
    MrsCiaccio2B
  • I should also add that brides might be somewhat jaded about silks.  A friend of mine used dollar store silk roses in her centerpieces, and I overheard a couple of guests talking about how surprised they were to find that they were fake.  Food for thought...
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • I hate real flowers. they make me sneeze. We had fakes at our reception because I didn't want to feel like crap. So i am biased.
  • For those of you who have used silk flowers, could you recommend a vendor? The vendor I found who does silk touch flowers charges just as much or more for bouquets than an actual florist. Go figure. I was thinking of using silk bouquets and some for decor and real flowers for the centerpieces.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards