Favors

Bird seed favors

We are having a rustic themed wedding. I wanted to make heart shaped favors out of bird seed and tie a cute message attached to the string.. I found a good recipe to make them but wasnt sure if they were a good idea in the first place and not sure what the little tag should say. Any suggestions?? Or do some people skip favors all together??

Re: Bird seed favors

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_bird-seed-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:27Discussion:eb642c07-06be-44e2-88a8-188b780f4b1bPost:62d871fc-0486-401f-86e2-00e06aac2d1a">Bird seed favors</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are having a rustic themed wedding. I wanted to make heart shaped favors out of bird seed and tie a cute message attached to the string.. I found a good recipe to make them but wasnt sure if they were a good idea in the first place and not sure what the little tag should say. Any suggestions?? Or do some people skip favors all together??
    Posted by adencker[/QUOTE]

A lot of people skip favors all together.  They are never required.   My question is, what are people supposed to do with the bird seed?   I would probably toss this in the trash, to be honest.  Sorry :(
  • they would have a little string as a hanger to hang from a tree outside
  • reppunzelreppunzel member
    First Comment
    edited November 2012
    You don't have to have favors, but I love the birdseed ornament idea.  It's an edible/consumible option (you hang them in a tree or outside a windowsill and the birds come and eat the seeds), and it's preferable, IMO, to being pelted with birdseed!

My FI and I will be making these as favors, and giving them out in little bags along with Dove chocolate hearts.  If we have extras because not everyone wants one, that's OK ... we'll have very happy birds in our area and chocolate will never go to waste in our household!  Cool

About the tag, we're using a small label on or card in the bag with several of our favorite verses.  I've heard of putting something like "from the lovebirds" or "sweets to the tweets" on the tag ... or you could just put your names and date on it. 
  • P.S. -- OP, scroll down the on this board ... a few months back someone posted a link to the blog of her friend who made these for her wedding.  She used a different recipe from the one I'm going to try, but I was thankful for  the storage tips!
  • DH & I own a home, but we don't have a tree suitable to hang birdseed...nor would I want to.

Think about all the apartment dwellers...the favor is even more useless for them.

As long as you're not offended that a lot of people won't take these/have no use for them, then go for it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_bird-seed-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:27Discussion:eb642c07-06be-44e2-88a8-188b780f4b1bPost:7c058a26-8ec2-4518-8fac-77d45f85e02e">Re: Bird seed favors</a>:
    [QUOTE]DH & I own a home, but we don't have a tree suitable to hang birdseed...nor would I want to. Think about all the apartment dwellers...the favor is even more useless for them. As long as you're not offended that a lot of people won't take these/have no use for them, then go for it.
    Posted by itzMS[/QUOTE]

that's what I was thinking. Bird feeders are messy, and I would never hang one outside my house for a variety of reasons (one is the mess and another is the fact that the birds would be an easy target for my dogs and the feral cats in the neighborhood).   I would leave that favor behind.
  • I think it's a cute idea if it goes with your theme. You can't please everyone and there will always be people who don't like a favor. Even if you gave gold necklaces, there would be those people who prefer white gold. 

I live in apartment and would have nowhere to put it, but I'd think it was a very cute idea even though I couldn't use it. 
  • This is a favor I would leave behind. I'm kind of afraid of birds, so I wouldn't want to invite them to my house for a snack. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards