Getting in Shape

Advice

Sorry girls, I deleted my post because I wasn't sure it was right to post it here. Thank you all for your thoughts and advice. For those of you who chimed in late, this is what it was about:

I am an athlete, used to working out 5-6 days a week, lifting weights and training rigourously with cardio and playing sports. However, I lost too much weight and I was taken out of the gym for the past 2 months to gain weight. I am now at a healthy weight and the doctors cleared me to workout 3 days a week for 30 minutes plus abs. I feel this is extremely low since I went from doing such rigourous workouts to only 3 days a week for 30 min.

Long story short, ideally I would like to find a healthy balance of working out that is realistic (I work full time and part time on the side). I never want to go  back to 5-6 days of working out for 2 hours. I would like to maybe work out for 4 days a week for 1 hour. Maybe half hour cardio, half hour light weights/abs. Does this sound realistic to you?

For now I am only allowed the 3 days for 30 min which they said I should maintain my weight on. It sucks but I have to listen to the doctors. Eventually I will be able to incorportate more once I show them I can maintain my weight.

How many days a week do you ladies workout, and what do you do in your workouts? I am looking for maintenence and just to tone up.

Thank you and sorry for deleting before, ignoring was not my intention, I was more embarrassed by my post in the first place. Sorry if i was rude.

Re: Advice

• You need to start thinking about fitness as an entire life styleit's eating healthy, taking care of your body, AND working out. It sounds like you seeing a doctor regularly who has you on a plan toget healthyyou should discuss your concerns with your doctor to ensure you are getting enough calories to counteract any exercise you may be doing to maintain a healthy weight. Your weight and body composition is largely driven by what you eata high protein, healthy fat salmon, avocado, olive oil, etc way of eating note I didn't say diet will help you maintain a weight that is appropriate for your height without having to worry too much about muscle loss/fat gain. Remember, most serious athletes are between 1320 body fat, and as a woman, you need at least 10 for essential body function, some fat IS good fat, and I'm guessing that if your condition was so serious that you required medical intervention, that you were below what is required for normal body function. Good luck to you as you work towards achieving a healthy lifestyle!
  • And I am so glad I spent time writing a real response to the OP. nobody was rude or mean to you, but thanks for wasting our time.
  • Hmmm - guess I won't be weighing in on this one, whatever it was about ...

Sorry you ladies took the time to answer! Remember, most of the time people are thankful and appreciative of advice ...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yeah, it was one that probably would have been useful for other posters to read too since it gave context to the answers...
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_advice-for-workout?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:351b3d1e-6c26-4c86-a486-967aed20d6b7Post:90b2b5ce-3119-4cca-9608-58f84fb573be">Re: deleted</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, it was one that probably would have been useful for other posters to read too since it gave context to the answers...
    Posted by freebread03[/QUOTE]

i appreciate your answers! i apologize for deleting..i didnt want to bother anyone with my question because it was more health related that i should ask my doctor. thank you. sorry for wasting your time.
  • i will repost it if you think it will be helpful for others?
  • Jules, if you had a question, then chances are that someone else will have a similar question too.  It never hurts to post, and who knows, maybe another poster was in a similar situation and could have shared her experience with you.  Its NBD, just remember, deleting a post is usually considered bad internet etiquette.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_advice-for-workout?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:351b3d1e-6c26-4c86-a486-967aed20d6b7Post:7ded2da7-9aa8-42f9-8422-e01f7ba4a0cd">Re: deleted</a>:
    [QUOTE]Jules, if you had a question, then chances are that someone else will have a similar question too.  It never hurts to post, and who knows, maybe another poster was in a similar situation and could have shared her experience with you.  Its NBD, just remember, deleting a post is usually considered bad internet etiquette.
    Posted by freebread03[/QUOTE]

yes, you are right. I do apologize. Thank you for your thoughts.
  • freebread03freebread03 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2012
    I had a whole reply typed out and then TK crashed out on me, but Jules, I think you seem like a cool chick and hope you stick around.  I don't post a ton, but when I am around, it always seems like there are a lot of nice (but honest) girls on TK, and i've learned a lot from lurking and reading.  I hope you find a balance that works well for you and your health.  When you are able, if you haven't already, check out a low-key crossfit gym.  I've found the camraderie to be really great, as are the workouts, and it's still not more than an hour.  Having a community or group can be a great thing when coming back from an eating/working out disorder.

EDIT:  I saw on another board you said your FI is deployed--you should check out the military brides board if you haven't already. There are a lot of military brides across the boards (and a few vets too!) and I'm sure many can share their experiences with you as well :)
  • edited December 2012
    You are very sweet! Your post helped me a lot! My best friend just opened a cross for gym so I'm going to check it out. Thanks a lot :

****Thanks for the military advice, I will be sure to check that out :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_advice-for-workout?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:351b3d1e-6c26-4c86-a486-967aed20d6b7Post:fc530bfa-b3a1-482c-96a1-88812f6b5e15">Re: Advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've seen you on other boards and I like you. You seem really reasonable and down to earth. Stick around!
    Posted by Liatris2010[/QUOTE]

thanks you are very sweet! I have a lot of questions lol I really enjoy everyones input, including yours. I'll be around for sure :)
  • In response to your OP - PP's are right that everyone is quite different. I work out 5-6 days a week anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours per session...but my problem is that I'm still overweight and trying to lose. Once I am down to where I need to be health wise, I imagine I will only do heavy cardio 3-4 days a week because I know I can't keep this pace up forever...but I will try to always be more active than when I gained all the weight (lesson learned the hard way).

I also agree that if you enjoy working out you don't have to stop or cut back drastically so long as you are compensating by eating enough and eating foods that properly fuel you. You may try food logging if you haven't already just to get an idea of the calories you net in a day. You should be netting 1200 calories or more to keep your body healthy. Work with your doctor - it's great you're taking their advice and you should continue to do so!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_advice-for-workout?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:351b3d1e-6c26-4c86-a486-967aed20d6b7Post:4c604352-dfe2-4d3d-ae0a-35767e4c21d5">Re: Advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]In response to your OP - PP's are right that everyone is quite different. I work out 5-6 days a week anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours per session...but my problem is that I'm still overweight and trying to lose. Once I am down to where I need to be health wise, I imagine I will only do heavy cardio 3-4 days a week because I know I can't keep this pace up forever...but I will try to always be more active than when I gained all the weight (lesson learned the hard way). I also agree that if you enjoy working out you don't have to stop or cut back drastically so long as you are compensating by eating enough and eating foods that properly fuel you. You may try food logging if you haven't already just to get an idea of the calories you net in a day. You should be netting 1200 calories or more to keep your body healthy. Work with your doctor - it's great you're taking their advice and you should continue to do so!
    Posted by entropicbeauty[/QUOTE]

I really appreciate your response!

While I need 2200-2500 cals a day just to maintain my weight without working out, I need to add cals on workout days. I guess its all about finding a balance. But you are right, I do love to workout and be active so its impirtant to just keep my cal intake up on those days!

thanks so much!
  • yes, I see my nutritionist once every two weeks and according to my weight she adjusts my calories/meal plan. Nuts and protein shakes are my best friends lol! Peanut butter has been so helpful. It is definitely hard especially because I feel full constantly so I try and do small meals frequently. But you're right, pb helps for sure!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards