Connecticut
Options

Closing bar half hour early...law???

Has anyone come across the CT state law that the bar must close a half hour before the end of the reception???
I just found this out from my caterer (we are a week away), and I did some research and haven't seen anything online about it. 
Help!!!

Re: Closing bar half hour early...law???

• Options
    I think this is pretty standard for events.  Our caterer has told us they shut it down an hour before.  I've been to several throughout the country where the bar closes 30 minutes to an hour before the end of the event.  Typically they keep serving non-alcoholic beverages, but have a "last call" before the end of the night. 

This allows people to process the alcohol they have imbibed, and hopefully allow them to either make the decision not to drive or for someone else to realize they had too much and prevent them from driving.  Ever had a drink and felt like you're fine, but then 10 minutes later it hits you?  This law aims to prevent that from happening while people are driving.  However, there's nothing that keeps people from ordering a drink at 'last call' and sipping it until the event is over.

Trust me, it won't negatively impact your event.  You've probably been to dozens of events where the bar closed and you didn't even realize.

Anniversary

• Options
    SB1512SB1512 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    Our reception is 7pm-12am with a 5 hour open bar.......so I'm guessing the bar is closing at 12am. 
  • Options
    I don't think it's a law.  I've bartended weddings where that hasn't happened.  Also, I have a 5 hour open bar that goes from 7:30-12:30 which is when our wedding ends.
  • Options
    Most venues I looked at had the last call a half hour before the event ends, which gives people enough  time to finish their drink before being kicked out.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_closing-bar-half-hour-earlylaw?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:059072b5-c137-4b5f-8e37-5ac9b12a8e5ePost:029cb1e6-e29c-4168-9ea4-411799dde584">Re: Closing bar half hour early...law???</a>:
    [QUOTE]Most venues I looked at had the last call a half hour before the event ends, which gives people enough  time to finish their drink before being kicked out.
    Posted by HeatherR45[/QUOTE]

<div>Yes, this.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards