Destination Weddings Discussions

Check (hehe) and Thank You question... Any old marrieds, please chime in too!!

So I am ALL caught up on my Thank You's... that is, I've sent them out to everyone who has gotten us gifts thus far.  Here's my question - I hear conflicting statements on wheather or not you should send thank you's to those who attended but didn't get you a gift.  I know several people will still be sending us gifts after the fact. Sooo how long would I wait to see if they send a gift before sending them a 'Thank you for coming.'  I'd hate to not not acknowledge their gift in the thank you b/c I hadn't yet received it.  But, I also don't wanna send 2 thank you's.  Soooo my question is - how long do you wait to see if they send you a gift before sending a thank you???  Or do you even send thank you's to those you did not receive a gift from?

Ok, does that make any sense at all???  Hahah... I know I babble!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Check (hehe) and Thank You question... Any old marrieds, please chime in too!!

• edited April 2012
    I don't know what the etiquette is, but I would probably give them two weeks. That seems like a reasonable period of time? Because that's assuming that they would have bought it right after they got back from the wedding...?
    ~*~ Ask me about DW Knottie of the Day and Nestie of the Day! ~*~

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • From what I understand, etiquette says you have a year to get the couple a gift.... I, personally, would NEVER wait that long.  But I guess some people do?? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think if people wait that long, two thank you notes is OK... they'll probably forget you sent a first one a year later! Hahah. My pet peeve is when people DON'T send thank you notes at all. Of all the weddings we've gone to for our friends, we've only received ONE thank you note in return. And same for weddings where we couldn't go and shipped gifts. Probably about 10-15 weddings in total?! 
    ~*~ Ask me about DW Knottie of the Day and Nestie of the Day! ~*~

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_destination-weddings_check-hehe-and-thank-you-question-any-old-marrieds-please-chime-in-too?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Theme BoardsForum:54Discussion:5700c3a5-1327-42ab-8af4-dcd5ed92b292Post:d91868a6-93fd-4e16-b46e-2bf0a73c1365">Re: Check (hehe) and Thank You question... Any old marrieds, please chime in too!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think if people wait that long, two thank you notes is OK... they'll probably forget you sent a first one a year later! Hahah. My pet peeve is when people DON'T send thank you notes at all. Of all the weddings we've gone to for our friends, we've only received <strong>ONE</strong> thank you note in return. And same for weddings where we couldn't go and shipped gifts. Probably about 10-15 weddings in total?! 
    Posted by loramarie03[/QUOTE]

WHHHAATT??? ONE out of 10-15?!  That is insane!  I go a bit overboard on Thank You's haha... my girls that threw my shower and bachelorette were like - dude, stop sending me thank you notes!  LOL!  I send them for EVERYTHING, even when we go on a trip and someone puts us up, pays for our dinner, etc...   I know not everyone is like that, but I think it is BEYOND rude and tacky to not send them out for WEDDING gifts!  That is crazy!  Ok, I think I'm just going to hold off on the "Thank you for coming" notes, and continue to send cards as the gifts arrive.  Maybe I will re-evaluate in a few months and send them to those we don't think we'll be receiving gifts from.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We sent thank you's to everyone who attended wedding related stuff whether there was a gift or not. At this point we still haven't gotten gifts from people who didn't give them at the AHR and I don't expect them to, so we just thanked them for their presence and support.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_destination-weddings_check-hehe-and-thank-you-question-any-old-marrieds-please-chime-in-too?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Theme BoardsForum:54Discussion:5700c3a5-1327-42ab-8af4-dcd5ed92b292Post:714bef49-d97b-4390-bdf3-eb5fc1eb2def">Re: Check (hehe) and Thank You question... Any old marrieds, please chime in too!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]We sent thank you's to everyone who attended wedding related stuff whether there was a gift or not. At this point we still haven't gotten gifts from people who didn't give them at the AHR and I don't expect them to, so we just thanked them for their presence and support.
    Posted by marriedonmaui[/QUOTE]

Brea, at what point did you send them though?  Like, right after?  Or did you wait a few months?  I am all about prompt thank you's... but I know there will still be gifts trinkling in... I'm just confused on the timing!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm kind of obsessed with thank you's also!  I have sent thanks you's for anything I got from the shower.  Then we sent ones to everyone who came to the wedding, whether they gave us a gift or not.  I'm guessing that people who came to the wedding and haven't gotten us anything will for the AHR so I'll just send another thank you after that.  Hope that helps!

DW Siggy Challenge: Table Numbers-Jimmy Buffet Songs
    imageAnniversary Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • We sent thank yous like this: - before the wedding as gifts arrived - immediately after (one week) for anyone that attended (gifts or not) - 2nd thank you if gifts came in later Two thank yous are definitely better IMO than waiting a year to thank someone that traveled for you to celebrate.
  • We sent cards to everyone within a week to thank them for taking the time, traveling and being there with us.  And we did have some gifts that were sent later, and then we sent a second thank-you.  : )
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards