Catholic Weddings

Alternatives to Planned Parenthood?

Okay, this may be a really dumb question. Obviously, I'm not a fan of Planned Parenthood and am suspicious of their motives overall. However, I know a lot of low-income women go there for basic *actual* healthcare things like yearly exams, probably because they are so well-known and are easy to find. I know that is why a lot of my friends support PP. But, is there any type of national organization like Planned Parenthood that provides healthcare to low-income women and/or men? And I don't mean the Lifecare centers that I assume just deal with pregnancy (or do they?) But more like a clinic.

I just think about those who fight for PP saying "it's not just about abortions! Think of the women they help!" And, yes, I can get on  board with helping women and promoting healthcare for them,  but I want to tell them there are better places to support with the mission of women's healthcare...I just  don't know of any, or at least not any with the same national recognition as PP.
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Alternatives to Planned Parenthood?

• There are not equivalent national organizations.

It's complicated to explain, but Planned Parenthood is kind of like McDonald's or Starbucks - It's a chain, a brand. Each outlet has to meet certain requirements, but also has some flexibility. It's hard to reproduce this without all of Planned Parenthood's sources of funding (grants from other 501c3 organizations, grants from state and local governments, cash fees for services, tax-deductible donations, insurance and medicaid payments for services, etc).

If you know an actual individual who needs healthcare, or want a place to donate, your options include:
    county health clinics, mostly funded through medicaid
    Catholic hospitals and clinics and medical centers
    a few not-for-profit clinics

And get referrals through your local crisis pregnancy center. My mom is one of literally just 3 pro-life OBs in this region, and people totally not in crisis find her through the CPCs. And if it's a money crisis, she will waive her fees, depending on circumstances, though she'd never advertise this.
  • Other than pap smears and the same type of breast exam that you can do at home, I don't know what other healthcare services PP actually does.

Don't get me wrong, pap smears are very important, but I don't like how PP acts like they're a full-functioning doctor's office when they're not.

SaveSave
  • That's a really hard one because I know people automatically think PP because like you said it's so well know like a brand. But I do know people who go there for medical issues. But have people check with the county and local government on low cost and free programs that are grant funded. They have some in my area. My friend who is social worker in our area always refers women to these non-profit or county programs for health care needs for pap smears and etc. But the funds are very limited and people sometimes have to wait for the new grant to come in. Some usually just end up going to PP. People need to be more supportive of local and non-profit orgs to help women and health care needs. That would be a start!
  • PP provides prenatal care and STI testing beyond paps. At least at some outlets.
  • Community Health Centers. They are not a "chain" thing like PP, but there are something like 11,000 of them around the country. They provide sliding-scale (what you pay depends on what you make; most patients are on their state's Medicaid program anyway) primary care to patients, including annual PAPs, prenatal care, etc.

http://www.nachc.com/

To clarify: This site only claims 8,000 CHCs -- I don't know if others are not "members" or if I had previously heard a wrong number.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If Planned Parenthood is concerned about not having enough money to offer its services, perhaps it could offer fewer services...like fewer abortions.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • I know a good number of women who moved to NYC without a ob/gyn or even a referral.  Planned Parenthood did provide the basic paps and well women checks until they could.  I know that I got a wonderful doctor from there.

I think though, that you may have to specify that you want a doctor who is pro life or at least pro choice to find one that suits you.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_alternatives-planned-parenthood?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:56a9834e-cbc9-4860-bb34-f799a718ed79Post:d4c775aa-12a7-4535-a664-43a2dd5cd2de">Re: Alternatives to Planned Parenthood?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If Planned Parenthood is concerned about not having enough money to offer its services, perhaps it could offer fewer services...like fewer abortions.
    Posted by lmeade62[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree with this.  Whenever PP complains that they're losing money, either because of lost federal funding or from Komen, I always think this is a good test of PP's character.  If PP is really more about women's healthcare than about abortions, and abortions are only a very small, insignificant amount of their services, then the money lost should come from the abortion sector of their finances, not from women's health services.  </div>

SaveSave
  • Thank you, all... you are all so wise. I just want to clarify that I'm not looking for health services myself. Rather, I'm tired of people saying "I support women because I support PP" and I wanted to be able to say "Well, I suppot women because I support XYZ organization and not PP."

And I did Google some local free clinics, one of which (surprise, surprise) is run through the Sisters of St. Joseph. I think I'll send some money their way.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited February 2012
    TeaForMe... a couple other local alternatives to PP in the Twin Cities are the Total Lifecare Centers (TLC) as well as the affiliated University Lifecare Center.  For more family-centered outreach, Sharing and Caring Hands has a medical and dental clinic onsite for families staying in their housing.  They also provide meals for the homeless, tutoring, clothing, diapers... you name it!  There are many other places I could think of locally, but those are two that I definitely donate to as they care for the whole person... which PP does not.

PP in MN has now consolidated in a megacenter on University Ave which is unfortunately right off the new light-rail line... Prolife Action Ministries is still actively sidewalk counseling there and many groups pray there frequently and try to urge women entering the clinic to seek more life-affirming alternatives.

Abby Johnson's book "Unplanned" would definitely be a good source of information for you about Planned Parenthood and some of their practices.  Also (if you can stomach it), read IPPF's "Sexual Rights: a Declaration" which is the agenda of PP straight from the source. 

This:
    http://www.patheos.com/blogs/badcatholic/2012/01/such-a-profitable-non-profit.html 
    And this, too:
    http://bloodmoneyfilm.com/ 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_alternatives-planned-parenthood?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:56a9834e-cbc9-4860-bb34-f799a718ed79Post:2ffd9a37-01a6-40ad-86c8-09667bc0c87e">Re: Alternatives to Planned Parenthood?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If PP is really more about women's healthcare than about abortions, and abortions are only a very small, insignificant amount of their services, then the money lost should come from the abortion sector of their finances, not from women's health services.  
    Posted by monkeysip[/QUOTE]

Providing a legal service such as abortion <strong>is</strong> part of women's health services.   Whether you think that abortion should or should not be available, there will always be women who want or need an abortion.  Providing that service in a sterile, hygenic environment in which the procedure is performed by trained physicians is a much better outcome for a woman's health than the alternative.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Catholics simply don't view abortions as part of women's "health". Therefore, they do not want their money to go towards funding that. They want their money to go to women in need, to help them avoid such "services".

It's unfair that people that are against abortion are constantly bullied for it. If it truly is a free country, with freedom of religion, ALL citizens should respect different beliefs and should support a group that wishes to keep away from something they do not believe in.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_alternatives-planned-parenthood?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:56a9834e-cbc9-4860-bb34-f799a718ed79Post:9dfdb443-62fa-4bb3-837a-af15248719be">Re: Alternatives to Planned Parenthood?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Alternatives to Planned Parenthood? : Providing a legal service such as abortion is part of women's health services.   Whether you think that abortion should or should not be available, there will always be women who want or need an abortion.  Providing that service in a sterile, hygenic environment in which the procedure is performed by trained physicians is a much better outcome for a woman's health than the alternative.
    Posted by Bron&J[/QUOTE]

Absolutely not. No one "needs" an abortion. Even so called "sterile" environment is terribly dangerous to the mother, and kills the child.

Killing a human being is not part of "health services"
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_alternatives-planned-parenthood?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:56a9834e-cbc9-4860-bb34-f799a718ed79Post:80832840-64de-4b7a-847f-d6d3dfd3284c">Re: Alternatives to Planned Parenthood?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's unfair that people that are against abortion are constantly bullied for it. If it truly is a free country, with freedom of religion, ALL citizens should respect different beliefs and should support a group that wishes to keep away from something they do not believe in.
    Posted by Riss91[/QUOTE]

It is also unfair that a woman who believes that abortion is the right choice for her is bullied as she attempts to obtain what is a perfectly legal service.  Those citizens who are outside of PP offices and hurl hateful comments at women electing to oundergo a legal procedure should respect the beliefs of others.  (Please understand that I support the right of citizens protesting the legality of abortion through lobbying congress, writing letters, leading marches etc.  I am NOT saying that everyone must believe that abortion should be legal, I am merely saying that it IS legal.)

Of course people have the right to donate money to organisations as they see fit.  I believe that abortion is a terrible thing, but I believe that it is a personal choice for each woman to make and that abortion should continue to be legal.  I also believe that alternatives such as adoption must continue to be offered and promoted.
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_alternatives-planned-parenthood?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:56a9834e-cbc9-4860-bb34-f799a718ed79Post:93f616a8-97a3-43a7-befe-5258ac66c97a">Re: Alternatives to Planned Parenthood?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Alternatives to Planned Parenthood? : Absolutely not. No one "needs" an abortion. Even so called "sterile" environment is terribly dangerous to the mother, and kills the child. Killing a human being is not part of "health services"
    Posted by agapecarrie[/QUOTE]

I agree that, like any medical procedure, an abortion is dangerous to the woman's health.  And of course by definition it results in the death of the embryo or fetus. 

I respectfully disagree that an abortion is not part of women's health services.

Edited for the inaccurate use of "child".
  • agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited February 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_alternatives-planned-parenthood?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:56a9834e-cbc9-4860-bb34-f799a718ed79Post:eaabf60b-5dcb-423c-af62-91e62b7dc457">Re: Alternatives to Planned Parenthood?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Alternatives to Planned Parenthood? : I agree that, like any medical procedure, an abortion is dangerous to the woman's health.  And of course by definition it results in the death of the embryo or fetus.  I respectfully disagree that an abortion is not part of women's health services. Edited for the inaccurate use of "child".
    Posted by Bron&J[/QUOTE]

ahh...so you slipped and used "child" instead of fetus. Interesting. its still a death. You can use other terms that make you feel better about saying it, but it is still death of a human person.

There is nothing about "health" in an abortion. Nothing.

The coalition for life people stand at abortion clinics and pray. It is part of their policy to not insult, but to talk people into saving their children. There are unfortunately others who through their zeal in wanting to save a person's life will say things that don't help anything. That does not make the morality of abortion different. DOn't use ad hominem for an argument.

If abortion is a terrible thing, then it isn't right. Period. Robbery is a terrible thing, but it's not legal and it isn't right. It's no one's personal "choice" to do it.

Same with rape. It's not someone's personal "choice" to do those things.

The logic does not flow. It just doesn't. If abortion is a terrible thing, it shouldn't be happening.
  • Yes, I initially wrote "child" and I decided to be accurate and use the terms used in medicine, ie embryo and fetus. 

I do wish there were no need or demand for abortion.  (And yes, there are cases in which an abortion is medically necessary to save a woman's life.  It is true that one could continue the pregnancy in such situations, but what is the benefit if two lives are lost instead of one?)  I wish sexually active adults always used birth control if that is compatible with their belifes, or always abstained.  I wish no one was ever raped.  That would be a wonderful world indeed, and I applaud everyone who is working towards making that world a reality.  In the meantime, I support every woman having access to a safe abortion should she make that choice and should that choice be compatible with her beliefs. 

I doubt we will ever reach common ground on this but I thank you for the discussion.
  • I wonder what would happen if abortion were illegal. I bet that people wouldn't be sexing it up so much, and being so careless with their bodies. I think that we, as a society, enable people to act so irresponsibly.

I don't think screaming at women who are entering PP for an abortion is productive. Many choose to simply pray.

The reason this is such an intense debate is that those that oppose abortion actually believe it is murder. Anyone that saw someone about to murder another would want to stop them. And would be quite upset if the murderer succeeded. So, the idea that someone can just shrug and say "well, it's her body" seems completely shallow and foolish. If it is her body, then why didn't she take more care in preventing the pregnancy in the first place?

I agree that it will be difficult to come to an agreement. But, it is helpful to understand both sides of the argument.
  • Someone who is raped is in a hard situation. That does not change the dignity of the person she is carrying (which is very rare when a rape results in a pregnancy). In fact, the Lord, the one who made the life come to be, decided that good can come from this tragedy. It seems everyone forgets that the He is the author of life.

An abortion does NOT in any way help her. Ever. It increases the hurt, the shame, and gives her life long wounds.

My birth mother was ill and could have been considered unable to give consent (she wasn't physically forced). She gave me up for adoption. Bron, what you are arguing here is for her to hhave "chosen" to murder me is acceptable and that you don't think you should do anything to protect my life. I find that outright disgusting.

If abortion is bad, it shouldn't be happening.
  • Slightly tangential, but a friend's sister had an abortion once. Then, had another unplanned pregnancy. She didn't necessarily want an abortion this time. Her boyfriend, however expected her to. She had already done it once, why wouldn't she do it again? So, due to his insistance, she had another one. Doesn't seem like abortion gives women power over their bodies - it sets a precedence that - hey, it's no big deal and since YOU'RE the one that got pregnant, it's YOUR responsibility to "take care of it". So sad.

I personally think that other things give women much more power - NFP methods that help women know, on a daily basis, what their body is doing. Helping them to determine without going to a physician, whether there might be a medical problem. Being able to know that you are fertile and should/should not be having sex at the moment. Having a reason to say "no" to sex. Being in control and preserving something that is truly sacred. That seems much more powerful to me.
  • "Fetus" and "embryo" describe a child of a particular age, nothing more and nothing less--same as "infant" or "toddler."

I don't know where our culture got this ridiculous idea that the fundamental nature of a being can just *poof* change at some indeterminate point during gestation.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_alternatives-planned-parenthood?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:56a9834e-cbc9-4860-bb34-f799a718ed79Post:1f09eec5-7447-4a2b-bdf2-e7072e8fe325">Re: Alternatives to Planned Parenthood?</a>:
    [QUOTE]"I don't know where our culture got this ridiculous idea that the fundamental nature of a being can just *poof* change at some indeterminate point during gestation.
    Posted by caitriona87[/QUOTE]

When they decided that sex should be without consequence and personal convenience is the ultimate source of happiness. :-/
  • Yes there are alternatives to Planned Parenthood one of them is  http://www.lifelinepregnancycenter.org/abortion.html

Why I am against Planned Parenthood. 
    If you look into Planned Parenthood they do give abortions all of the time from our tax dollars. Planned Parenthood would rather abort a child than let you have an ultrasound to see the child to be aborted. It is really sad for the murders of these babies to be legal. If you don't want the baby, give it up for adoption don't kill them giving him or her no chance to fight for life. There are other option such as going to Life Line Pregnancy Centers. http://www.lifelinepregnancycenter.org/abortion.html

to view more information about abortion facts go to
    www.abort73.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards