Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

COGIC wedding

Hi All,
I am getting married in Sept of this year, this is my first and ONLY wedding lol. I am marrying a young deacon at my church. We belong to one of the COGIC (Church of God in Christ) churches. The wedding is being held at a banquet hall but our Pastor is officiating. There will also be a lot of members there from our church. My family is not very religious but me and my fiancee are. We are young but deeply rooted in our beliefs. I was wondering if I should play all gospel at the reception. I have asked around and some people think it may be a great idea and some think it would be boring. I have a lot of friends that are not into church like I am. Im just trying to accomodate everyone. I dont want anyone to feel like they want to leave however I want to up hold a standard that we have. What should I do?? Help the wedding is only 23 days away Innocent

Re: COGIC wedding

• You don't have to play all gospel to hold true to your beliefs. There are many choices when it comes to religious music, and many of them you may be surprised to learn are very popular these days. In my opinion as long as the music isn't full of profanity laced lyrics you'll be OK.
  • Thanks M.. I have found a lot of other songs but I wasnt sure if they can be played. I was also asked if I was doing a first dance. When I replied yes.. I was told that some of the older saints look down on that.. I was wondering why because the bible talks about dancing in church so why not dance with my new husband.. I think its just old religion meets new age... idk...

• Thanks Stage manager...
    I guess I should ask my Pastor, but I figure since it wasnt at the church that I was given a little lead way.. but then again if I ask I will know exactly what to do... Thanks so much for your replyLaughing

• I work in a church as an organist/choir director and have for 27 years.  I'm also an ordained elder and deacon in the Presbyterian church.  So while it's not a COGIC church, I have to say that I don't think it's necessary to play only Gospel music, and eschew dancing.

At this very moment I'm listening to contemporary popular music as I work and Knot.  I also love Gospel music, classical music, country music, and Broadway.  

Stage gave you great advice.  Our pastor officiated at our DD's wedding, and then tore up the dance floor all night at the reception.  Your pastor can give you the guidance that you're looking for.  GL
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • I agree -- there is a lot of music available that is not "bad" that could easily be played along with Gospel. That said, if you and your fiance want to have an all Gospel reception, I think that is perfectly fine, too.  Talk to your pastor though. He's going to be able to give you good advice about how your church views music and dancing.  If there are guidelines about those things, you should definitely abide by them at your reception!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks guys!! 22 more days to go and I cant wait!!! Laughing
  • Play music that you and your fiance like/want.  Enjoy!
  • We had the same issue at my graduation party. My mom (RIP) was SO religious and invited her church friends, so she wanted gospel songs. (I was so afraid she was going to request that I play The Mississippi Mass Choir all day).I wanted some non religious music for my friends to dance to.

So we agreed that for every so many regular songs, we'd play a certain amount of gospel. The non gospel songs were old school (i.e: Michael Jackson) and family friendly dance songs (cha-cha slide: we just cleaned up the dance a little bit: "How low can you go" was more of a twist than a booty dance).

Besides, some gospel songs are JAMS! Some Mary Mary and Kirk Franklin songs are just fun to dance to.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards