Michigan-Detroit

round and square centerpieces? need advice!

I've been stalking this board for a month now and after getting the quote from the florist- I thought you ladies would be best to ask about centerpieces.  I wanted square glass vases with gerber dasies and other really fun and bright flowers (its a May wedding).  But the vases are so expensive that by the time you count the cost of the flowers, its way over my budget!  So I thought of adding submerged flowers with a floating candle on top for half the tables, but I think they look better in round vases. 

Would it look werid to have square vases on half the tables and submerged flowers in rounds on the other half?  What if on the tables with square flower vases have 3 round votives and vice versa?  Would that help tie together the round and square elements?

Re: round and square centerpieces? need advice!

• edited December 2011
    I think as long as you are doing every other table a different centerpiece it will be fine.  I've even seen people do tall centerpieces on one table and short on the next.
  • edited December 2011
    That's what we're doing. Square on every other and round submerged on every other. Both will be on a square mirror tile surrounded by 3 votive candles. Like pp said as long as it's on every other table and not all in a row or all on one side of the room or the other.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • jodyk23jodyk23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did both square and round centerpieces very similar to what you are talking about. I thought it looked great!

Round bowl with three gerberas and three floating candles.

Square floral arrangement with 3 round votives surrounding
  • edited December 2011
    To answer your question, yes I think it would look fine.  

But have you tried calling other florists?  I feel like most florists rent their vases for a pretty nominal amount, so perhaps you could still get the flowers you want at a price you can afford from someone else.  

Also, I know craft stores (Michaels, JoAnns, Hobby Lobby) sell a good selection of vases.  Perhaps if you bought them yourself you could get a better deal, and you could probably re-sell them (either on here or on craigslist) and make back some of the money to make it more affordable.  Just a thought. 
  • Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am on a pretty tight budget, and I bought all my vases. I'm getting my flowers from www.costco.com (see floral link at top of Costco's website).

If your florist seems expensive in relation to the cost of regular flowers, you can shop around if you choose, or perhaps negotiate a lower price. It seems your floral selection is fairly basic and should not be that expensive.
  • klreese0213klreese0213 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i think it'd look nice...
    my sister just had her wedding and has about 10 round "fish bowl" style bowls for sale.. if you're interested.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I think it will look nice! That's what I'm doing....square vases on one and submerged round on the alternates with the votive candles. I actually think the contrast is what makes it unique and eye catching.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lcsnowflakelcsnowflake member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you everyone for your advice!  I feel much better about mixing the round and square and think that it will be eye-catching.  Since I have some time, I am going to take cmkuno's  advice and bargin hunt for my own vases.   klreese0213, I was thinking more of taller vases, but I will keep that in mind in case I can't find anything. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards