Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

Transporting Favors, Dress Etc to Destination...

Out of curiosity how are you planning to bring favors, DIY projects etc to your destinations?  Ship vs suitcase it at the extra cost of luggage?
I have read a lot about horror stories about customs (especially in the caribbean) 
& Your dress??? 

thanks...

Re: Transporting Favors, Dress Etc to Destination...

• Options
    We'll be shipping the stuff for our OOT bags (not doing favors), any vases I may buy for centerpieces, stuff for table assignments, etc.  We're going to send them to our WC, since we'll meet up with her a couple days before the wedding, and we can pick up all the stuff then.

The dress, though, I'm carrying on with me.
  • Options
    We're actually lucky enough to drive down to San Diego which is the Port we're leaving from, so we're going to be bringing everything in a big suitcase and/or rubbermaid container!  :)  I think for the Welcome Bags, we're going to have them already made up....at least that is my plan at the moment.  If anything, the stuff for them may be put in zip lock bags at least. 
  • Options
    I'll probably put it all in a box and check it on the plane. should only be 25 bucks!
  • Options
    I brought everything down with me. I packed all my favors and decorations and checked the bags - $25 for a checked bag, is much cheaper than shipping heavy items to most destinations. Mine was St. Thomas. Plus our resort charged $3/day per box if we shipped items there which would have added up quickly as you don't want it to arrive late, so I would have shipped it early to be safe.

On a side note, there was stuff I just could not fit into my suitcase and had to leave it behind. So do a trial run on packing weeks in advance to assess your situation.

I carried my dress on and had no problems whatsoever on the flight down with one layover and on the flight back with two layovers. Most of the flight attendants were really nice and said to lay it flat in a compartment and close it so no one else can put their things inside.

HTH
  • Options

I would not suggest shipping.  Not only could your stuff be stuck in customs for an undetermined amount of time most islands will assign a value to your items and charge you tax on it.  Also, most resorts will not except your packages because they don't want to take responsibility for them.  I carried on my dress and check bags for everything else.  With Air Jamaica we were aloud 2 bags each.  So my parents took the OOT bag stuff and we brought the rest.

• Options
    We are packing everything in suitcases and checking them when we fly down to Cancun. I'm carrying my dress on the plane. Our favors are being shipped to Cancun, but that is only because the lady who's making them (maracas) is based in Puerto Vallarta and it shouldn't be problem to ship things within Mexico. Hopefully.
  • Options
    I am planning on either packing it into boxes or suitcases and checking it onto the plane. I think shipping will cost either just as much (and then there is always the possibility that it doesn't arrive or it comes in late, there really is no guarantee) if not more than just bringing it on the plane with you.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone! This is great advice. I think that I will just pack everything in the suitcases and take with me.  If anything I will have bridesmaids etc take the extra suitcases. I was concerned with the dress also, but am glad to hear that the airlines are accomadating. Our flights are direct so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle. 
    thanks again all!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards