Students

Stupid Advisors...Vent **UPDATED** :)

FI is supposed to graduate in December.  I've never met anyone in FI's program who actually likes their advisor.  FI filled out all the graduation paperwork last semester, and she sent him a list of classes he still needed.  He signed up for those classes for this semester.  He asked her if she was sure there was nothing else left that he needed to take.  She said no.  {Thankfully, he still has all of those e-mails and forms} 

Today, he received a form that said "Graduation- May 2011."  First red flag.  He scrolls down...he has 10 "remaining classes"...2 of them he took his sophomore year...before we even met.  1 of them he was taking the semester we met, and 1 he took when we started dating.  That's 4...5 of them he's signed up for this fall...1 of them is a class they added to the program after he declared his major, and he has the e-mail saying that it would not be required for people who declared before a certain date.  That 1 class is offered this fall, but it's only 1 section, and he already has a class at that time. 

He's frustrated, his parents are frustrated, I'm frustrated...grrrrrr.  Figured if anyone would understand, they'd be here.  Thanks for listening, ladies!!
~Emily

Re: Stupid Advisors...Vent **UPDATED** :)

• Some advisors really suck at their jobs. I've heard some so many horror stories about students getting screwed over by advisors who don't know what they're doing. I switched advisors my sophomore year because mine was an idiot and I was terrified she'd mess up my entire academic career. So I'm really sorry you guys are dealing with this.

Ok, so is it just the one class that's going to put him over? I'm just making sure I understand. It sounds like you've got all the other ones figured out, although if you haven't already, have him double check with an advisor - maybe not his moronic one - to make certain that those other 10 counted, even though they should if he took them and passed them. But it's good to make sure.

Next, I assume he's taking 15 credits then this fall, if he's got 5 classes? Would he be opposed to be just taking 18 credits this last semester? I know it's kind of a bitch but I've done it a couple semesters and I survived. And then he could gradute early.

Or, just take that one last class in the Spring and graduate in May. Would that affect any major life plans or anything? If not this seems like the best alternative.

Again, sorry you've gotta deal with this. I know it's not fair that the student has to offer when an advisor botches things up, but what are ya gonna do besides develop a new strategy to make it work. Hope things work out!
  • fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited August 2010
    {This turned out longer than I thought it would...sorry, Steph}

She's the only advisor for the entire School of Religion (all of our "Schools" {Education, Arts & Science, Nursing, Business, etc} have one advisor each for all students in that School), so there's really no one else to go to besides the head of the SOR, or our Chancellor, which has actually worked for some of my friends who were in similar situations (with the same advisor...she's gotta go). 

He is signed up for 15hrs, so he could technically fit this class in without going over, but it's not an easy class at all, and with the 5 other required 400 level classes, it would just stretch him even thinner than he already will be...and it's not offered online.

The thing with him not graduating until May is that we're getting married in June.  The plan was for him to graduate, find a church, and then I'd start looking at school districts around wherever he ends up while I'm student teaching in the spring.  So, if a church would be ok with hiring someone who is still in school (possibly out of state or even across the country) that would be great, but then there's the whole thing of paying for that class next semester, which his parents weren't planning on. 

We're just hoping all of the e-mails and forms he's kept will be enough to fix it.  It's just irritating that one person who's only job is to make sure your paperwork is right, can't even do that.  Our advisors aren't profs, or students-- they're hired just to be advisors.  Do your stinkin' job, already!! 

I think I'm starting to calm down...maybe a little.  There's really nothing he can do about it until she e-mails back. (FI can't go to her office because he won't even be back in the state until next Friday)  He said if she hasn't e-mailed by tomorrow afternoon, he's going to e-mail some of his profs to see what they suggest.  School starts Aug 23...add/drop deadline is the 27th, so something needs to figured out before then at least.
  • Aw yeah, I'm sorry. That is incredibly frustrating. Definitely she what she has to say once she gets back into town. And it sounds like taking it to the chancellor is an option, if he's handled things like this before. If he could take care of it all for you, that would be ideal.

Since he hasn't found a church yet, it's not really possible for him to ask now if they'd be cool with him still taking a class, which ties your hands a bit there unfortunately.
    So I really hope you're able to work something out with the school.

• "Talking" about it helps.  Thanks, Steph!!  I'll update when it gets figured out.
  • Have him talk to the registrar's office. If the course is from a new catalogue he should not have to take it. And I am sure you know he can just prove to them with his transcripts that he already took those courses. Sounds like most of this was a clerical error on the registrar's part, not the avisor's.
  • After 4 e-mails to the advisor over 3 days, FI finally got a response today.  All the e-mail said was "Updated" with a new, *correct* graduation form attached.  He doesn't have to take that other class, and the 4 other classes were not on the list...just the 5 he's already signed up to take this coming semester.  So, everything worked out.  Let's just hope she doesn't mess anything else up before December. :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_stupid-advisorsvent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:ef755147-0300-4302-9fb7-49d8428196f4Post:4e87a8fa-c96f-4bc4-879b-973469ac66c3">Re: Stupid Advisors...Vent **UPDATED** :)</a>:
    [QUOTE]After 4 e-mails to the advisor over 3 days, FI finally got a response today.  All the e-mail said was "Updated" with a new, *correct* graduation form attached.  He doesn't have to take that other class, and the 4 other classes were not on the list...just the 5 he's already signed up to take this coming semester.  So, everything worked out.  Let's just hope she doesn't mess anything else up before December. :)
    Posted by fpaemp2011[/QUOTE]

Oh, that's great news! I was wondering if anything had happened. I'm really glad everything worked out. Good thing he's only got one more semester; there's only so many things his advisor can mess up with 5 classes he's already enrolled in, right?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_stupid-advisorsvent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:ef755147-0300-4302-9fb7-49d8428196f4Post:0ad31791-70d0-40b8-8673-2b8cbad93edc">Re: Stupid Advisors...Vent **UPDATED** :)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Stupid Advisors...Vent **UPDATED** :) : Oh, that's great news! I was wondering if anything had happened. I'm really glad everything worked out. Good thing he's only got one more semester; there's only so many things his advisor can mess up with 5 classes he's already enrolled in, right?
    Posted by stephdonjon[/QUOTE]

One would think, Steph...but with my friends' previous experiences with this advisor, no one is holding their breath.  We're being optimistic in hoping nothing can stop him now, but we'll believe it when he gets his diploma.  I should go write my advisor a thank you note for being so meticulous with her records and prompt with her responses.  :)
  • My FI just got dropped for the semester because our financial office lost his financial aid paperwork. Our semester starts tomorrow, and they just told him today. There's no way he can get back into class this semester, so he's going to be a semester behind (he was supposed to be finished after the spring semester). If only school officials actually gave a crap about their students.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_stupid-advisorsvent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:ef755147-0300-4302-9fb7-49d8428196f4Post:de69a9b6-f56c-4ba6-9912-22e602bf49c8">Re: Stupid Advisors...Vent **UPDATED** :)</a>:
    [QUOTE]My FI just got dropped for the semester because our financial office lost his financial aid paperwork. Our semester starts tomorrow, and they just told him today. There's no way he can get back into class this semester, so he's going to be a semester behind (he was supposed to be finished after the spring semester). If only school officials actually gave a crap about their students.
    Posted by bpagevanderburg[/QUOTE]

Wow.  It's amazing to me that the schools rarely take responsibility for their mistakes.  As much as I don't like being referred to as a "customer" of the school, we really are.  You'd think they would want to help students out when paperwork gets lost, messed up, etc, but it's almost like they're holding, "We have plenty of students wanting your spot" just dangling over your head.  Hope everything works out with getting your FI back in next semester!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards