Wedding Etiquette Forum

I'm over weddings.

Yeah, yeah, I know I post on a wedding message board, but weddings that I don't have to take part in or help plan are DIFFERENT.

I just kind of feel like I'm past that wedding "phase" so to speak. For like...three years of my life my friends and I were all getting married. Our lives were showers, parties, weddings, repeat. And it was a blast.

My other friends got married right out of college or high school and the whole wedding thing was still all novel and new and fun.

And I kind of feel badly about it, but showers, bachelorette parties, and excessive squeeing are starting to lose their excitement for me.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still post here, and I like looking at pictures of weddings, but IRL, it would appear that I'm just...well...over it.
Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution

Re: I'm over weddings.

• That makes sense to me.  I think one gets to an age or place in life where it's just not as exciting anymore, especially when pretty much everyone in the circle of friends is married now. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2009
    I still expect excessive squeeing around March of next year, then you can officially be 'over' weddings.
  • Im pretty much over weddings here, I dont think I actually give wedding advice all that often anymore. In real life I still have plenty of friends who still need to get married, and they always come to me for wedding help. I like the real life stuff because its tangible I think.
  • Oh Vally, I WILL be excited for that. Trust.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Fischy, I completely understand.  A lot of my friends just had their first baby, and gave a crap that I'm engaged for about .2 seconds when we all got together this summer.  Just. . . don't do THAT to your last few friends to get married.  I know, I know, nobody cares about our wedding as much as we do, but still.  I went to all their showers and bachelorette parties and weddings, and was excited for them when it wasn't part of my life.  It would be nice to have them show the same excitement for me. 

(I'm pretty sure you're a cooler IRL friend than many of them these days, but still.)
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Oh, I'm sorry squirrly!! That sucks!

I would never make my friends feel like that. I hope not, anyway. I want them to have an awesome engagement, too. It's just...harder to feel like that SUPER EXCITED feeling, ya know?

The Margarita Evolution
  • Fische cant get it up anymore haha.
  • Yup.  See, I expect most of them to not bother to come to our wedding (we all live scattered across the US & Europe now), citing baby something.  I don't figure that's your thing.  It's one thing to be not super-duper-weddings-are-new-and-awesome vs "eh, marriage is cool, but whatever".

Just my friendly "don't poop on their parade" warning for the day. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Fishy, can you be excited a week before you get excited for Vally, for me?

(oh and I'm coming off of my sedation meds. i might as well be high right now.)
  • Rach - is your date March 6th?
  • March 7th--so just shy of a week before Laughing
  • YES! I'm excited for all of you!

I'm excited for my IRL friends, I really am. It just seems to have lost it's luster a little bit. But I shall never let her see it.

The Margarita Evolution
  • The coolest wedding around these parts are all happening a week apart:

Salt
    Me
    Vallyou
  • Fische- have you told your friend who got engaged recently to join the knot?
  • Poor Fische.  Having to get up her wedding joy not only for her IRL friends, but strangers on a forum! See? Popularity is a biitch.
  • Ha! I love you, Mo.

No, it's weird because it's not like I'm not happy for her. I am SUPER happy for her. Maybe when things get more rolling that magical wedding excitement will come back.

The Margarita Evolution
  • What's funny is that MY wedding is the first wedding I've had a big hand in. Almost none of my friends are married. Does this mean I have to go through a "wedding" phase when I'm closer to 40? I don't think I have it in me.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_im-over-weddings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8d9dc3e9-6117-41e8-895b-666e6ab0d4c3Post:10912edc-3b83-4560-83ca-611a4ef562d7">Re: I'm over weddings.</a>:
    [QUOTE]What's funny is that MY wedding is the first wedding I've had a big hand in. Almost none of my friends are married. Does this mean I have to go through a "wedding" phase when I'm closer to 40? I don't think I have it in me.
    Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]

I hope not either! I've been a part of 3 weddings, including my own, spanning over the past 9 years. At this point, my friends are either already married (city hall style) or not even close, and probably won't have a traditional wedding if they marry in the future. I wonder if the wedding phase is time based or quantity based?

Sorry you lost your wedding wood, Fishy. You're a good friend for still being there for them.

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • Heck, I'm not even excited for my own wedding (the married part, but not the wedding part) much less almost anyone else's.
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • All you biitches better be excited for my wedding.  Don't worry, you have plenty of time yet to get your excited pants back from the cleaners.
  • Yeah, most of our friends are in that place.  They're already married and working on the babies or raising them front, or they're probably just likely to not get married anytime in the next decade.

I think the only reason people are much excited for ours is because it's in Hawaii.  And we've had a really long engagment too, so I don't expect people would be too interested at this point.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_im-over-weddings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8d9dc3e9-6117-41e8-895b-666e6ab0d4c3Post:9ba17db6-cb09-44d4-bc6e-bf219e874b76">Re: I'm over weddings.</a>:
    [QUOTE]All you biitches better be excited for my wedding.  Don't worry, you have plenty of time yet to get your excited pants back from the cleaners.
    Posted by JK10910[/QUOTE]

Don't worry, we'll all be pitching wedding tents for your big day. ;)

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • i enjoy wedding planning...but i've never liked weddings. in particular, receptions. they are too long and just drag on and on and on. that's why our entire wedding was 3.5 hrs from start to finish. i didn't want people looking at their watches like i do at weddings.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_im-over-weddings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8d9dc3e9-6117-41e8-895b-666e6ab0d4c3Post:25be080d-abe4-4ae1-b318-1a6f5f3189ae">Re: I'm over weddings.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I'm over weddings. : Don't worry, we'll all be pitching wedding tents for your big day. ;)
    Posted by beatlesgirl25[/QUOTE]

Hahahaha!  This made me laugh out loud.  I <3 you Beatles!
  • oh, and i hate bachelorette parties. i don't enjoy drunken evenings where someone else gets to dictate what i do all night. just because you want to get wasted and dance at a trashy bar all night doesn't mean i want to!
  • But....but...doesn't EVERYONE love being at a trashy bar with an embarrassingly drunk girl decked out in penis paraphernalia carrying around a suck for a buck bouquet?  No?  Well....I better call my MOH and tell her to scrap THOSE plans!
  • Aw, thanks J&K!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards