Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

2 questions...

1.  Appetizers:  Do you prefer buffet style or passed butler style?  Why? 

2.  We are having beer, wine and pop;  is punch necessary?

Thanks girls :)

Re: 2 questions...

• ShakeUpTampaShakeUpTampa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1) Buffet, some people don't like people coming up to them or chasing the food around

2) Add water to that and should be fine
    Nichole Tampa, FL BabyFetus Ticker
  • BrideBling82BrideBling82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It all depends on you and whats better. I've been to wedding with a butler passed appetizer and it was nice to stand around....but then again I had to wait for them to come to me or to re-fill the tray. Which was ok I thought it was a nice touch.

Buffet style is good too if it's scattered around where people have to walk. Standing in a line with 200 hungry people will get old pretty quick. Especially if you have older people waiting.

Onto your drinks....punch is not necessary persay as long as water/tea or soda is available. I say this bc my FI does not drink anymore and he drink the punch...so do kids if your inviting them to your reception. But you know the crowd your inviting so see what happens.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    1. I prefer to have passed appetizers with a few stationary platters, like cheese and crackers or veggies and dip.  

2. I don't think punch is necessary, but I think it would be good to have a non-soda drink available, like juice or lemonade (or punch).  
  • cmp1986cmp1986 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1.  Appetizers:  Do you prefer buffet style or passed butler style?  Why?
    I prefer passed, simply because it's more fancy. Most people don't attend parties were the Apps. are passed around. Stations are also nice, but only if it's something fancy and unexpected. 

2.  We are having beer, wine and pop;  is punch necessary?
    I don't think it's necessary. But I would def. have water for those people who don't drink alcoholic drinks or soda.

P.S I find it so funny that Northerners call soda  POP!!! LOL
    When I was younger I'd visit my Aunt in WI and she'd always call it pop. I thought that was the funniest thing ever.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_2-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:657c0424-13fc-4197-9c13-21a3e22a154aPost:cc96b863-1cdc-4806-b5cc-40f13f54fe82">Re: 2 questions...</a>:
    [QUOTE]1.  Appetizers:  Do you prefer buffet style or passed butler style?  Why? I prefer passed, simply because it's more fancy. Most people don't attend parties were the Apps. are passed around. Stations are also nice, but only if it's something fancy and unexpected.   2.  We are having beer, wine and pop;  is punch necessary? I don't think it's necessary. But I would def. have water for those people who don't drink alcoholic drinks or soda.<strong> P.S I find it so funny that Northerners call soda  POP!!! LOL When I was younger I'd visit my Aunt in WI and she'd always call it pop. I thought that was the funniest thing ever.
    </strong>Posted by cmp1986[/QUOTE]

Haha, my FI lived in Florida for a long time so he calls it "soda", it sounds so weird to me!

Thanks everyone!   I forgot to mention there will be iced water goblets at each place setting :) 
  • edited December 2011
    I've personally found anything with food being carried around is uncomforatbale to me but then again Im not comforatble with most super formal things.
    I would go with the buffet style.

As for the drinks. I would really add someting becides wine, beer, and pop. The FI and I both don't drink and he rarely drinks soda and when he does its a glass and thats it, as desert or something after a meal, and I don't drink soda at all. I would definatally make sure you have water available, people get dehydrated drinking and dancing so they need to hydrate. But I personally would offer a favored option as well (either punch, some sort of juice, tea, ect) just something. But then again if everyone you know drinks/drinks soda then I would worry about that a bit less.
  • edited December 2011
    1. I prefer to have passed appetizers with a few stationary platters, like cheese and crackers or veggies and dip. 

ditto this.  i'm assuming this is for your cocktail hour since you mentioned place settings?

IMO if it's just a buffet then your cocktail hour revolves around the food line, which disrupts the mingling.  if it's just passed apps - then i'm always keeping an eye out for the waiter, and when i catch him he usually has half of a mini quiche left which always makes me sad. :(

i would add maybe a lemonade or iced tea instead of a punch but i'm not a punch person. 

happy wedding!
  • edited December 2011
    1) I prefer butlered apps (fancier) but you could combine it. Have them butler some and then have a stationary cheese display or something.

2) No. I don't think we had punch. We just had an open bar and people could have water/soda as well. And probably juice.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards