Honeymoon Discussions
Options

No Honeymoon... =( Need ideas and some support

Hello!

My fiance and I were working with the budget when we realized that we cant afford a proper honeymoon. Tears came down my eyes, we are the ones paying everything for the wedding. Any suggestions? My fiance suggested not going on a honeymoon, and after the wedding head to our future home, We live in Puerto Rico (Caribbean Island) it is beautiful over here, but hotels are very expensive. I'll be very grateful for any suggestion! 

Thanks

Re: No Honeymoon... =( Need ideas and some support

• Options
    You're already in paradise!

What about doing something touristy in Puerto Rico that neither of you have done before?  I grew up in Philadelphia and have now lived here again for about seven years and there's definitely things I've never done!

My husband and I very much wanted to go over to Vieques to see the phosphorescent bays.  I have no idea if that is something that you've done there before or not!  What about just chartering a boat for a nice dinner?  I'm not sure your money, but lots of cruises leave from San Juan and cruises are crazy affordable, especially when you already live so close to where the ships leave from. 
  • Options
    Sorry you can't afford what you want.  But know, at the end of the night, you are married to your dream man!  I know a honeymoon is a great getaway from everything and everyone, but postponing it a couple months, or for your one year annvy might be an option.  Or stay at home, turn off the phones and computers, and stock up the fridge!!  Enjoy each other and everything your wedding day meant!

Not sure if these are options in PR, but low cost things are camping, romantic day trips, special cooked at home dinners.  Just enjoy the couple days after the wedding as a "Mrs."!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    brielleinlovebrielleinlove member
    5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper First Comment
    edited February 2013
    We can't afford a honeymoon, either, so I know where you are coming from and how it can be a disappointment.  But think of it this way - it gives you a chance to do some new and different things in the place where you live.  There are many museums and attractions in DC that I've never seen before, and I'm so excited to explore my own city in a new way.  People don't usually do the "touristy" things when they live in a place - maybe you could do the same thing in Puerto Rico?  You wouldn't have to stay in a hotel to have a nice time together and explore new things :)
  • Options
    I would agree with previous posters. It depends on what your budget is and if you really can afford something small.

I just checked out Carnival's website and they have a lot that leave from San Juan.
    http://www.carnival.com/core/closetohomedetail.aspx?embkPort=SJU

They start at just over $400.
    The honeymoon was very important to us so we both worked really hard. I had a second job that basically paid for our honeymoon and I was in school full time. We were engaged for almost 2 years though so we had a lot of time to save and plan and do exactly what we wanted to do. I think it really just depends on what is important to you.

• Options
    We can't afford a flying HM either, but have planned a driving trip to Maine and Canada. Our opinion is we have our whole lives to travel but only one wedding, so that's where our money is going. If you'd enjoy a couple of nights in a hotel close to home, I suggest the website CheapCarribean.com. I got 4 nights in a beautiful hotel in San Juan once for under 500, and that included airfare from Boston! Everything is expensive regular price, but there are some great deals out there. Good luck! You're not alone on skipping the fancy HM.
  • Options
    if a HM is THAT important to you then find a way to pay for it-one of you or both get a 2nd job, cut back on expenses, hold off on the wedding until you can afford one. or dont take one. just like a big reception isn't necessary for a wedding neither is a HM. it's getting married that's important.
    i've been to puerto rico so many times. the hotels aren't THAT expensive really-well some are but some aren't. why not see how much you CAN spend on a night or 2 away and find a hotel that fits that budget?

• Options
    s-aries8990s-aries8990 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited February 2013
    Just have a mini-moon at a local place that is simple, but still a get away.

Then, save up until you have enough to go where you want to go - no deadlines to meet, no budget to stay within (well, there will be a budget, but you will have quite literally the rest of your lives to save it up) and no pressure.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_no-honeymoon-need-ideas-and-some-support?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:1d51a85a-8990-4098-a70f-ff511cfa5e02Post:64dcb5a9-4273-4a39-949c-8774d681562a">Re: No Honeymoon... =( Need ideas and some support</a>:
    [QUOTE]You're already in paradise! What about doing something touristy in Puerto Rico that neither of you have done before?  I grew up in Philadelphia and have now lived here again for about seven years and there's definitely things I've never done! My husband and I very much wanted to go over to Vieques to see the phosphorescent bays.  I have no idea if that is something that you've done there before or not!  What about just chartering a boat for a nice dinner?  I'm not sure your money, but lots of cruises leave from San Juan and cruises are crazy affordable, especially when you already live so close to where the ships leave from. 
    Posted by Joy2611[/QUOTE]

<div>Thanks! </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_no-honeymoon-need-ideas-and-some-support?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:1d51a85a-8990-4098-a70f-ff511cfa5e02Post:1afbf998-d6a5-4570-88af-18fca3a723ca">Re: No Honeymoon... =( Need ideas and some support</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: No Honeymoon... =( Need ideas and some support : Thanks! 
    Posted by Kidian[/QUOTE]

<div>Thanks to all of you!!!! We are going to consider every suggestion! =) I'll let you know what we decided to do! Thanks again! =) </div>
  • Options
    A lot of places offer Honeymoon registries. That way, at least you wouldn't have to pay for the whole thing. Good luck!
  • Options
    In Response to Re:No Honeymoon... Need ideas and some support:[QUOTE]A lot of places offer Honeymoon registries. That way, at least you wouldn't have to pay for the whole thing. Good luck! Posted by amyandjoe06[/QUOTE]
    No. These are horribly rude. Please do not follow this recommendation, OP.

photo fancy-as-fuck.jpg
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_no-honeymoon-need-ideas-and-some-support?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:1d51a85a-8990-4098-a70f-ff511cfa5e02Post:30306e7e-84ce-49cd-8b5d-1f80757c0d22">No Honeymoon... =( Need ideas and some support</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello! My fiance and I were working with the budget when we realized that we cant afford a proper honeymoon. Tears came down my eyes, we are the ones paying everything for the wedding. Any suggestions? My fiance suggested not going on a honeymoon, and after the wedding head to our future home, We live in Puerto Rico (Caribbean Island) it is beautiful over here, but hotels are very expensive. I'll be very grateful for any suggestion!  Thanks
    Posted by Kidian[/QUOTE]

I was in a car accident (not my fault) on my way to book my honeymoon. Since I was hurt, I wasn't able to go on it.   :(

My husband and I took the time to get myself better. And meanwhile, we were able to save up money to go somewhere fabulous.

You don't have to go on a honeymoon right away. Instead, just save up your money, and you can schedule your honeymoon at a later date.
  • Options
    Ditto SKPM, please don't do a honeymoon registry.  As someone who cannot afford a honeymoon of my own, I'd be royally piissed if one of my friends/family members asked me to pay for theirs. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_no-honeymoon-need-ideas-and-some-support?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:1d51a85a-8990-4098-a70f-ff511cfa5e02Post:0198d912-550a-400a-9a67-cfb3749d9de6">Re:No Honeymoon... Need ideas and some support</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:No Honeymoon... Need ideas and some support: No. These are horribly rude. Please do not follow this recommendation, OP.
    Posted by SKPM[/QUOTE]

I have never once in my entire life found a single human being that was ever offended by these.  My FI and I have a couple registries, two for house things we need and one through TravelersJoy for our honeymoon because we have more family that values adventure and new experiences than we have family that values dishes.  We made it available because some of our family preferred to give us an experience like kayaking or snorkeling and not another set of china.  In my opinion it's more personal so don't ditch these just because it's not "traditional."  What would be rude is plain old asking people for money.  On top of that, it is estimated that nearly half of what you receive from registries like bed bath and beyond or target will get returned for a gift card/store credit anyway.  Same thing as getting money. 
    Visit Maui.Weddings.com
  • Options
    PR is beautiful and quite large.  What part of the island to you live?  You can travel to a different part and still feel like you are getting away.  Take a trip to Vieques or Culebra.   

I lived the USVI.   Sometimes you can get some good rates to fly over to St Thomas or St Croix to/from PR.     We use to take weekend trips over to PR all the time.  It was always a nice getaway.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    <div>I live in the North, we are looking for some groupons and deals for summer. =)</div><div>
    </div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_no-honeymoon-need-ideas-and-some-support?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:1d51a85a-8990-4098-a70f-ff511cfa5e02Post:c1fe5914-d13a-44ee-9744-e633927ccca1">Re: No Honeymoon... =( Need ideas and some support</a>:
    [QUOTE]PR is beautiful and quite large.  What part of the island to you live?  You can travel to a different part and still feel like you are getting away.  Take a trip to Vieques or Culebra.    I lived the USVI.   Sometimes you can get some good rates to fly over to St Thomas or St Croix to/from PR.     We use to take weekend trips over to PR all the time.  It was always a nice getaway.
    Posted by lyndausvi[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards