Wedding Woes

Ex-Wife Won't Let Kids Fly to Our Wedding

So the last few months I have been busy pouring my time, effort and money into planning a wedding. My fiance has poured in his time and money too, mainly on plane tickets to help get some of his family to the wedding, including his two young boys. We recently spent $1,800 to fly them from NC to AK in December and I was getting super excited about them coming and being in the wedding.

Everything came to a skreeching halt this morning when his ex-wife said she heard from the CNN news channel that there were possibilities of terrorist attacks on the east coast. She then had a dream that something terrible would happen if she put the boys on a plane without her. She proceeded to email my fiance and tell him that the boys were not coming. And then sent me an email letting me know.

I am beyond furious as we really wanted the boys to be part of the wedding (they are our ring bearers) and to meet their new family. She is now denying us the joy of having them there. She has full custody since my fiance is in the military and when they divorced, both boys were really little (3 and 5). It was the right decision at the time.

However, this is proving to be difficult as the boys are older and miss their dad and want to see him more. Since the divorce, she has not held up her agreement they made in court to bring the boys, she is supposed to pay half, to visit him wherever he his. Since then, he has bought them 3 sets of tickets and she would cancel on him and the money spent on tickets lost. There is a lot of drama on her end and the boys are missing out because of her.

Now this is a really important day and she's refusing to put them on a plane. My fiance's sister was planning to drive from GA to NC to meet them at the airport and fly with the boys so they wouldn't be alone. I am so upset that my fiance's children are in the middle of this and we won't get to see them and have them part of our special day.

As far as options go, my guy is in Germany, so getting a lawyer may be difficult and also money is a factor as well. We only have a few months before the wedding and she pulled this on us. My fiance called her and the conversation did not go well, he got mad and told her that he wasn't going to talk to her and that he'll "talk to her through paperwork." I feel bad because he pays $1,300 a month in child support and spent over $3,000 on plane tickets in the past that she would cancel last minute for no particular reason other than she was too busy.

I don't know what to do or how to help. I had a hunch a while back that she was going to do something like this, since she had done it before. I don't know if trying to somehow take her to court will do any good, it's hard to do with my fiance being in Germany. What would you do? I really don't want this to ruin our wedding!

Re: Ex-Wife Won't Let Kids Fly to Our Wedding

• MrsMyrtleMrsMyrtle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you really want them there, then you NEED to get in touch with your attorney and let them handle this. 
  • baconsmombaconsmom member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    This guy lives in AK while his kids live in NC, and you think he's marriage material?

OK. 
  • ReturnOfKuusReturnOfKuus member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    This is going to be your life for the next 15 years or so.  Are you sure it's worth it?
  • edited December 2011
    Can you fly the bitchy ex out too? It might suck to have to pay for her ticket and all, but at least he'd have his kids...

And yes, get a lawyer!
  • TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you can't afford to hire a lawyer to handle this, you probably shouldn't be getting married. Like PPs said, this is going to be an ongoing issue that will affect a lot more than just your wedding. Do you really want this to be your life?
  • cjone2000cjone2000 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    He's in the military, he doesn't control where he lives. They got divorced while she was here in Alaska because she left him for her boyfriend. She chose to move to NC. My fiance is now stationed in Germany. Hope that clears things up for you. He is a wonderful dad, tries to visit as much as he can, calls them everyday, etc. Don't judge a father based on where he lives :(
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow, a lot of you are saying I shouldn't marry this man based on the fact his ex-wife won't let the boys come to our wedding? So as soon as times get hard, you just bail on your husband to be? Wow. I didn't ask if I should marry this person or not. I was asking how to deal with the situation, the ex-wife. Yes I realize she is difficult. But that is not a reason to just give up spending the rest of your life with your best friend.
  • LnR70707LnR70707 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sounds like he is pretty slow to learn a lesson if he's done the same damn thing multiple times with the same undesired outcome.  If she has done this before, why on earth would you expect more from her now?   Personally, I think you are SOL at this point.  He should have fixed this ages ago.
    br>imageimage
    IF/Baby Blog
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wish I could change the date, but family have already bought plane tickets and arrangements have already been made. I understand that my fiance has to work this out... I just wanted advice on how to be positive and hope for the best that his ex-wife is just being spiteful or jealous and its just a phase. But put yourself in my shoes... wouldn't you want your future step kids to be there? We don't have much money as it is, with putting on a wedding... we don't have the money to hire a lawyer or buy her a plane ticket. My fiance does not want her there, he made that clear already.
    edited December 2011
    No. We're telling you not to marry him because he's incapable (financially, geographically, whateverally) of doing what he needs to do to make sure his children are a part of his life. His ex-wife wouldn't be ignoring the court's orders if she didn't know he was too poor and/or lazy to do something about.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_ex-wife-wont-let-kids-fly-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:595c7192-c4ca-4443-8ac6-7c8bbd3df8fbPost:0f517fe1-04a8-4d96-b9c2-bf3534fdf48f">Re: Ex-Wife Won't Let Kids Fly to Our Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow,<strong> a lot of you are saying I shouldn't marry this man based on the fact his ex-wife won't let the boys come to our wedding?</strong> So as soon as times get hard, you just bail on your husband to be? Wow. I didn't ask if I should marry this person or not. I was asking how to deal with the situation, the ex-wife. Yes I realize she is difficult. But that is not a reason to just give up spending the rest of your life with your best friend.
    Posted by cjone2000[/QUOTE]

NO, some people are saying you should postpone because of HIM not straightening out his relationship with his ex-wife and children.   From what you've said, nothing has changed since you met him, so times are hardly getting tough now are they?
    br>imageimage
    IF/Baby Blog

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So just because I don't have the money to hire a lawyer means I shouldn't get married? Try paying for a $15,000 wedding in 6 months by yourself, with your own money and then adding another $10,000 for a lawyer. We planned and saved for this wedding. We didn't plan to pay for a lawyer. The most important thing is that the two of us and other family members will be there. It's just hurtful for my fiance and I to be denied the joy of having his sons with us. Certainly, that would be understandable with most people.
  • Butter CookieButter Cookie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_ex-wife-wont-let-kids-fly-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:595c7192-c4ca-4443-8ac6-7c8bbd3df8fbPost:0f517fe1-04a8-4d96-b9c2-bf3534fdf48f">Re: Ex-Wife Won't Let Kids Fly to Our Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow, a lot of you are saying I shouldn't marry this man based on the fact his ex-wife won't let the boys come to our wedding? So as soon as times get hard, you just bail on your husband to be? Wow. I didn't ask if I should marry this person or not. I was asking how to deal with the situation, the ex-wife. Yes I realize she is difficult. But that is not a reason to just give up spending the rest of your life with your best friend.

You need a lawyer, and you need reading comprehension. The times aren't going to be hard for this one thing. The woman fights him on everything. I understand that the courts almost always side with the mother, and he's in the military which makes it even harder for the courts to rule in his favor, but the fact is she's breaking the agreement that was set by a judge and if you don't legally act now you're just giving her more of an idea that that's the way she can treat her children - that she can make them grow up without a father that wants and loves them.

You have bigger problems than your wedding.You will be dealing with this for the rest of your life. Best friend or not, that takes a toll.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_ex-wife-wont-let-kids-fly-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:595c7192-c4ca-4443-8ac6-7c8bbd3df8fbPost:bdcb4d04-37c1-41e0-b02f-146c8122b0fb">Re: Ex-Wife Won't Let Kids Fly to Our Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wish I could change the date, but family have already bought plane tickets and arrangements have already been made. I understand that my fiance has to work this out... I just wanted advice on how to be positive and hope for the best that his ex-wife is just being spiteful or jealous and its just a phase. But put yourself in my shoes... wouldn't you want your future step kids to be there? We don't have much money as it is, with putting on a wedding... we don't have the money to hire a lawyer or buy her a plane ticket. My fiance does not want her there, he made that clear already.

Hope is a piss poor strategy. Staying positive is not going to change your situation, so do something. And for a third time, if you don't have money for a lawyer, you can't afford marriage.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_ex-wife-wont-let-kids-fly-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:595c7192-c4ca-4443-8ac6-7c8bbd3df8fbPost:0eff0747-30db-4c43-80e7-eb57514f069a">Re: Ex-Wife Won't Let Kids Fly to Our Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]So just because I don't have the money to hire a lawyer means I shouldn't get married? Try paying for a $15,000 wedding in 6 months by yourself, with your own money and then adding another $10,000 for a lawyer. We planned and saved for this wedding. We didn't plan to pay for a lawyer. The most important thing is that the two of us and other family members will be there. It's just hurtful for my fiance and I to be denied the joy of having his sons with us. Certainly, that would be understandable with most people.

I understand quite clearly. A wedding was more important than getting to see his children.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am actually shocked at the responses from everyone. Nothing positive, and actually placing blame on my fiance. He has done everything he can, most than a lot of dads do for their kids. Him learning his lesson is hard when she agrees to something and then months later backs out. She is unpredictable. We have dealt with her and similiar situations before. This is the first time is it really important for his boys to be there.
  • *Barbie**Barbie* member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_ex-wife-wont-let-kids-fly-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:595c7192-c4ca-4443-8ac6-7c8bbd3df8fbPost:bdcb4d04-37c1-41e0-b02f-146c8122b0fb">Re: Ex-Wife Won't Let Kids Fly to Our Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wish I could change the date, but family have already bought plane tickets and arrangements have already been made. I understand that my fiance has to work this out... <strong>I just wanted advice on how to be positive and hope for the best that his ex-wife is just being spiteful or jealous and its just a phase.</strong> But put yourself in my shoes... <strong>wouldn't you want your future step kids to be there?</strong> We don't have much money as it is, with putting on a wedding... we don't have the money to hire a lawyer or buy her a plane ticket. My fiance does not want her there, he made that clear already.

<div>1) given the past instances that you mentioned, you'd have to be a total moron to believe that this is "just a phase." it's clearly not. </div><div>2) i wouldn't marry someone with kids. i know there are regs on this board who did, and I respect that this was their decision to make - and they generally handle their situations very well. I wouldn't want to deal with the drama of an ex-spouse or a bio-mom. </div><div>3) as everyone else had already told you, your FI needs to call a lawyer. (you shouldn't even be INVOLVED, and have no legal rights here) if it's THAT important to him to have his kids there, then he will find a way to get them there. </div>
  • zitiqueenzitiqueen member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_ex-wife-wont-let-kids-fly-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:595c7192-c4ca-4443-8ac6-7c8bbd3df8fbPost:d85369b8-13f5-42c6-910b-520073f111b0">Re: Ex-Wife Won't Let Kids Fly to Our Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am actually shocked at the responses from everyone. Nothing positive, and actually placing blame on my fiance. He has done everything he can, most than a lot of dads do for their kids. Him learning his lesson is hard when she agrees to something and then months later backs out. <strong>She is unpredictable. We have dealt with her and similiar situations before.</strong> This is the first time is it really important for his boys to be there.

Do you really not see the contradiction in the two sentences -- that are right next to each other -- that I've bolded?

If she's done this before, she's <u>not</u> unpredictable.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_ex-wife-wont-let-kids-fly-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:595c7192-c4ca-4443-8ac6-7c8bbd3df8fbPost:d85369b8-13f5-42c6-910b-520073f111b0">Re: Ex-Wife Won't Let Kids Fly to Our Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am actually shocked at the responses from everyone. Nothing positive, and actually placing blame on my fiance. He has done everything he can, most than a lot of dads do for their kids. Him learning his lesson is hard when she agrees to something and then months later backs out. She is unpredictable. We have dealt with her and similiar situations before. <strong>This is the first time is it really important for his boys to be there.</strong>

Reread that sentence, and put it in context. Your wedding, a party, is the first time it's been important to have his children?

I'm going to say to you something that my mother has said to me many times about my father. "At least he's consistent. He'll always disappoint you."

This crazy lady has canceled plans how many times? Is she really that hard to figure out?

You should have canceled your party, gotten married in a courthouse, and spent the money on a lawyer. You are dumb.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What do you WANT us to say? We've given you logical advice, and just because you don't want to hear it/accept it means we're wrong?

Good luck.
  • nicoleg1982nicoleg1982 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Then maybe, since this seems to be a pattern with her, you should've put aside $10k for a lawyer and just had a $5k wedding.
    imageimage
  • edited December 2011
    My post was mostly positive, and I gave you a suggestion.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_ex-wife-wont-let-kids-fly-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:595c7192-c4ca-4443-8ac6-7c8bbd3df8fbPost:d85369b8-13f5-42c6-910b-520073f111b0">Re: Ex-Wife Won't Let Kids Fly to Our Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am actually shocked at the responses from everyone. Nothing positive, and actually placing blame on my fiance. He has done everything he can, most than a lot of dads do for their kids. <strong>Him learning his lesson is hard when she agrees to something and then months later backs out. She is unpredictable. We have dealt with her and similiar situations before. </strong>This is the first time is it really important for his boys to be there.

Well, custody battles aren't really cheery positive endevours.   As for the bolded part, you are just getting ridiculous now.  She's done the same damn thing to him again and again.  At this point, it is his fault for being so freaking gullible.
    br>imageimage
    IF/Baby Blog

• GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_ex-wife-wont-let-kids-fly-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:595c7192-c4ca-4443-8ac6-7c8bbd3df8fbPost:eaed067a-d4af-476f-af9d-3e2a2cc9b3f4">Re: Ex-Wife Won't Let Kids Fly to Our Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]Then maybe, since this seems to be a pattern with her, you should've put aside $10k for a lawyer and just had a $5k wedding.
    Posted by nicoleg1982[/QUOTE]

THis is a much nicer way of saying this than I was coming up with.

You shouldn't marry this man because he is saying, loud and clear, through how he's willing to spend money, that funding a PARTY is more important than paying for a lawyer to get custody for his kids.

That's PissPoor Parenting/stepparenting right there.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_ex-wife-wont-let-kids-fly-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:595c7192-c4ca-4443-8ac6-7c8bbd3df8fbPost:15af48a6-2b00-41ab-8eff-5107b7d1bf94">Re: Ex-Wife Won't Let Kids Fly to Our Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ex-Wife Won't Let Kids Fly to Our Wedding : THis is a much nicer way of saying this than I was coming up with. <strong>You shouldn't marry this man because he is saying, loud and clear, through how he's willing to spend money, that funding a PARTY is more important than paying for a lawyer to get custody for his kids. That's PissPoor Parenting/stepparenting right there.</strong>
    Posted by GBCK[/QUOTE]

And furthermore, any of the step parents on the board would agree with GBCK's statement.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    According to her blog, they're moving to Germany after the wedding. So why start fighting for custody/visitation when you're moving, right?
  • edited December 2011
    You can marry him, but go into it realizing that crazy people usually don't change, and this issue will continue.

Do they have joint custody? You might have said, but I didn't read all of your post. Does he have any custody rights? How old are the kids?
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, they certainly don't want custody. They just want ring bearers.
  • GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    (PS, I wouldn't say that allowing ex-wifey-poo to retain custody was a bad thing under all circumstances.
    I will say that him not taking action after being prevented from seeing his kids is piss poor parenting.
    If he honestly thinks that ex-wifey-poo is the better parent and/or can do better for the kids AND he's working hard to maintain a relationship/parent as best he can from the military-induced-distance, I'd say he's doing a helluva job.  BUt you're saying that he's not being allowed visitation and hasn't done anything to fix that.  THAT is the piss-poor parenting)
  • InksWellInksWell member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Lawyer up. I'm sorry you don't have a contiency plan or non wedding savings. These ladies will always tell you to have the wedding you can afford. In my opinion, you can't afford it if you have to drain your savings. What were you going to do  if you had to pay emergency hospital bills or buy a new car on the fly?

Are you ready for forever like this? Take your wedding goggles off and take a look at your future. These kids are part of it. There are going to be big, unforseeen expenses. There will always be a beligerent x-wife. Money and family ties are forever issues. Are you prepared to handle your man-child's grown up problems like his mommy for the rest of his life?
    Dear Rain, Not Today. Sincerely, My Parade
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards