Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

Opinions needed - Jamaica or Bahamas for honeymoon?

So, we got married in November but are just now ready to book and pay for our honeymoon (and go in the end of January). We are using cheapcarribean.com, and have found good deals for both Jamaica and the Bahamas - but we can't decide! The ones I found in the Bahamas are pretty cheap (but are one star less than the ones in Jamaica). Soo... spend $500 more for a little bit nicer in Jamaica, or cheaper in the Bahamas?? Anyone have any advice or experiences traveling to these places?

Re: Opinions needed - Jamaica or Bahamas for honeymoon?

• Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have never had any interest in going to Jamaica but am dying to go to the Bahamas.  So I vote Bahamas.  If it were me, I'd spend more for a nicer place in the Bahamas.
  • Options
    bigbabyfacebigbabyface member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So i'm bias, just like Steph, as i've never had any interest in going to Jamaica but i'd love to go to the Bahamas. So i vote Bahamas as well :)
  • Options
    rcpm44rcpm44 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We went to Jamaica on our honeymoon (we did a cruise) and just based on the one day I think I would rather do the Bahamas.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I'd go to the Bahamas.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I kinda feel the same about Jamaica - less "honeymoon-type" vacation. I've been trying to find a little bit nicer one in the Bahamas but we really want to do all inclusive and none of the nicer hotels have all inclusive packages (that are in our budget). Most of the reviews for the hotel I found are decent, but say that there's not a lot of variety in food - but with all the money we would save we could probably just go eat somewhere else every night! haha
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My dream is to go to Sandals and stay in a villa with butler service and also eat at Bobby Flay's restaurant Mesa Grill.

But yeah, not exactly budget friendly, heh.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would recommend the Bahamas. I had this same dilemma, and according to my grandparents (who travel year round), they said that for a newlywed couple that the bahamas is more ideal. Jamaica, while there are some nice attractions and it is pretty, is not as tourist friendly and can be a little shady (scary).

If anything do a Carribean cruise as anothe knottie posted above, and you can do a one day stop in Jamaica just to fill that urge. Cool
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had the same dilemna when we were trying to decide where to go on our HM.  End the end we decided on the Bahamas because we had heard mixed reviews of Jamaica from friends who had been for regular non-HM vacations.  We leave in a couple weeks so hopefully we made the right choice.  I'm sure anywhere you're together will be fun.  :)   Good Luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have been to Montego Bay Jamaica and Nassau Bahamas.  Jamaica is BEAUTIFUL. Its hilly and green.  Nassau is nice as well, but the main island is flat.  Which island are you thinking of visiting?  Paradise Island/Nassau is more for vacationing for fun.  The outer islands (Abaco, Exuma, Eleuthra, etc.) are more for a romantic vacation.  These islands arent as populated as the main island.  It just depends on what you are envisioning for your honeymoon.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What deals do you have for the Bahamas? We are going there for our honeymoon, just haven't really found anything good. We tried one travel agency in Plano...it was like 5-6k for the two of us. We're thinking something might be cheaper.
  • Options
    cfibelkorncfibelkorn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am in the lesser group but I have been to Montego Bay, Jamacia and I thought it was BEAUTIFUL....but Im biased because I have never been to the Bahamas...I'm sure it is gorgeous as well :)
  • Options
    msealemseale member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011

DH went to Jamaca (Negril) a few years ago and loved it.  He stayed at the RIU all inclusive resort.  We are looking for a quick vacation next month (while I'm in between jobs).  We asked a few travel agents for trips to the Carribean, and no Mexico.  You will find traveling to Jamaica is easier, so you will not be traveling all day.  We could not find anything nice in the Bahammas that was all inclusive that fit our budget.  However, one agent suggested the Dominican Republic.  I think we are sold on the resort. Here is the information she sent us:

Riu Ocho Rios Ocean view room $2249 for 2
    http://www.clubhotelriuochorios.com/

Sandals Grande Ocho (adults only) deluxe room $2617.64 for 2
    http://www.sandals.com/main/ochorios/or-home.cfm

Iberostar Punt Cana standard room $2647 for 2
    NH Royal Beach (adults only) royal room $3097 for 2
    http://www.iberostar.com/EN/Punta-Cana-hotels/Iberostar-Dominicana_3_63.html
    http://www.nh-royalbeach.com/

My 2 cents:  If you are looking for an all-inclusive, it doesn't matter what island you are on.  Just make sure it has the amenities that you want.  More than likely, you aren't going to leave the resort.

Stephie - I want to stay in a Sandals villa sometime too!  It is my dream.  A very, very far fetched dream...

Our last sunset in Hawaii...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Michelle & Michael
    Married - August '10
    TTC - Since September 2011
  • Options
    msealemseale member
    edited December 2011
    Oh, and I also had some friends that went to a Sandals resort in Jamaica (I think Montego Bay) and LOVED it.  They never left the resort, Sandals upgraded them because they were on their honeymoon, and they had concierge service.  They said it was amazing.
    Michelle & Michael
    Married - August '10
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all so much for your input! Those are good deals mseale, too bad I just booked it last night... haha. We ended up going with Bahamas! It was just a better deal because cheap caribbean had a promo code for $440 off if you travel before the end of January, so we went for it! I would LOVE to go to Sandals anywhere, but all the ones we looked at were out of our budget Undecided

Meghan - have you tried cheapcaribbean.com ? You can just go and put in your info about when you want to go & budget, and they will list out all of the current deals. Most of them aren't all inclusive there for some reason, but some are cheap enough that you can add the all inclusive option and its still a good deal.

Honeymoon in 3 weeks! Yay!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My parents went to Jamaica a couple of years ago and said that it was the most beautiful place they have ever seen and their favorite vacation spot. Their pictures were gorgeous and ever since then I have desperately wanted to go!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
    "The things I've done, the places I've been, just don't compare to the love I'm in, it beats all I've ever seen."
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Meghan -  Ditto cheapcarribean.com.   You REALLY don't need a travel agent, I promise.  It's super easy.
  • Options
    msealemseale member
    edited December 2011
    Oh, I LOVE this site!  I had no idea it existed.  Thanks ladies!
    Michelle & Michael
    Married - August '10
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards